What's new

NRS Ranking System Idea

Indecisive

We'll burn you all—that is your fate!
I know that this conversation has been talked about time and time again. But I decided with the help of @TopTierHarley to creating a ranking system that we as a community can use to either help seed players or just just as bragging rights. Cause lets be serious here sometimes its nice to gloat a bit about being ranked higher than X person. Now please do not use this system as a reason to not go to events. Every event is special in its own way. Some community members and TO's even work hard to make sure that the event runs well.

The main reason for this thread is to give your opinion on the ranking system. Point out possible flaws such as missed tournaments. Cause i will be honest i don't know every event that happens. I am hoping to get input from different people of the community. But don't be a fuck please. We really need a better ranking system since SRK is not done well at all and they will probably not fix it. Mine will not be perfect but i feel it is more balanced. Check it out:

Point Deterioration System
First i would like to talk about one unique thing about this system. PDS will hopefully make the system more fair to those who may not do as well year 2 or 3 for tournaments. At the moment after a year or before an event is about to happen once again the previous top 8 loses around half their points *This can be adjusted if needed* So for example:
Combo Breaker 2015
1st: 500
2nd: 400
3rd: 300
4th: 200
5th/6th: 100
7th/8th: 50
The point distribution for this event *This is not the actual points just an example* When Combo Breaker 2016 comes around the corner the points the players received will be cut in half to:
Combo Breaker 2015 Points in 2016
1st: 250
2nd: 200
3rd: 150
4th: 100
5th/6th: 50
7th/8th: 25
The players will still have points but the amount will have been decreased. If a player is consistent then it will not be a huge issue. But it will help deal with people who do good for the first X months and then either stop playing or stop placing. It gives year 2 players a chance to actually be ranked fairly.

Tournament Ranking:
The Tournaments will be ranked into different categories and each have a set amount of points. The points and placement of events are based on different variables.
Championship: This event is EVO. Its EVO, i know that we had issues with the recent EVO but for now this event is THE EVENT.
Championship Points:
1st Place: 2000
2nd Place: 1300
3rd Place: 800
4th Place: 600
5th/6th Place: 450
7th/8th Place: 350

Majors: These Events have large numbers year 1 and year 2. These events get international players and have been given a 10K pot by NRS. People are willing to spend the flight money to go to these events to compete against high level players and for a chance at the 10K Pot. Examples: KIT, NEC, CEO, Combo Breaker.

Major Points:
1st Place:1000
2nd Place: 650
3rd Place: 400
4th Place: 300
5th/6th Place: 250
7th/8th Place: 200

Regional's: These events have the issue of what I call first year syndrome. They have a lot of payers year 1 but when year 2 rolls around the numbers decrease a good amount. People will still travel to the events if they are in driving distance and some even are willing to fly but with the lack of NRS Pot and consistent numbers these events are generally considered regional's. Example: Winter Brawl, Final Round, NWM

Regional Points
1st Place: 500
2nd Place: 300
3rd Place: 200
4th Place: 150
5th/6th Place: 100
7th/8th Place: 50

Premier: These events will usually not get many people year 1 or year 2 of the games life. Not many people are willing to travel to the events but have potential to grow as an event. Example: Frosty Fausting, Defend the North, Absolute Battle.

Premier Points:
1st Place: 300
2nd Place: 200
3rd Place: 100
4th Place: 80
5th/6th Place: 60
7th/8th Place: 50

The list of events that I have found and there placements are in this link below in a nice spreadsheet:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1xLBxcsavWKfWas4LjlPYsH7zbukwSIJf9aOMd3UN4Ek/edit?usp=sharing

Please let me know if i missed events.

ESL
I would love to implement ESL in some way. I am still working on ideas for this. I am not ignoring it. Its also important to our community. When i figure out a better idea and if this gets positive reviews i will add ESL to the system.

International
I already added some international events. I know its not all of them. I would love it if the international players gave a list of events i missed so i can add them. And if they have reasons for placements that would be amazing. Thanks in advance for the assistance.

If you have any questions feel free to ask. I feel like i covered everything. Tagging people for their input
@Pig Of The Hut
@Kitana Prime
@HoneyBee
@Big D
@Red Raptor
@hayatei
@cR Dragon
@cR WoundCowboy
@TopTierHarley
@Tim Static
@YOMI FOREVER KING
@YOMI REO
@Youphemism
@A F0xy Grampa
@haketh
@STB Shujinkydink
Anyone else that would care to input

Attachments

MK_Al

Noob
I think this is a great idea; I really like it. On of the flaws is that it penalizes the international players (think of Tekken Master or f0xy) but I guess that can't be helped.

As for european tournaments we had Viennality end of march this year. With about 100 players and almost all of the european top players (inkluding Tekken Master, but unfortunately excluding some british players like K&M) as well as a good pot bonus sponsored by WB I think Viennality was the biggest MKX event till this day. So I think it's fair to say it's a european major.

Also we had RFD (Red fighting district) in Amsterdam; unfortunately, as far as I know, this event does not exist any more. Also there is vs fighting; I think @PND_Ketchup and @PND_Mustard can shed more light on this event.

Last but not least I think ESL finals should be on par with EVO. ESL is the only event where everyone can compete for free and the finals bring together the worlds best players.

Indecisive

I think this is a great idea; I really like it. On of the flaws is that it penalizes the international players (think of Tekken Master or f0xy) but I guess that can't be helped.

As for european tournaments we had Viennality end of march this year. With about 100 players and almost all of the european top players (inkluding Tekken Master, but unfortunately excluding some british players like K&M) as well as a good pot bonus sponsored by WB I think Viennality was the biggest MKX event till this day. So I think it's fair to say it's a european major.

Also we had RFD (Red fighting district) in Amsterdam; unfortunately, as far as I know, this event does not exist any more. Also there is vs fighting; I think @PND_Ketchup and @PND_Mustard can shed more light on this event.

Last but not least I think ESL finals should be on par with EVO. ESL is the only event where everyone can compete for free and the finals bring together the worlds best players.
Thats why i really want feedback fromn international players to fill in the MANY gaps from missing Euro Events. The amount should change when i get feedback from them.
I agree with the ESL point. It will be added i promise.

jackempty0

Born on a Monday
this is probably the most concise i have seen this done. it looks good but my question is what are the hard caps for each type of tournament.

for example if a tourney has 100 people and another has 89, are they both still considered regional or majors or whatever.

also who decides what is what if there are no hard limits on attendance deciding the type of tourney

Indecisive

this is probably the most concise i have seen this done. it looks good but my question is what are the hard caps for each type of tournament.

for example if a tourney has 100 people and another has 89, are they both still considered regional or majors or whatever.

also decides what is what if there are no hard limits on attendance deciding the type of tourney
Basing it on an amount is somewhat difficult. So like if Combo Breaker went from 100 to 89 i would still consider it a Major. But considering each year having great numbers for NRS i don't see that happening. The only way i can think of a major going to regional is if year 1 it got 150, year 2 got 60. Some sort of very large change. Event that have that issue at put as regional for this reason actually. I hope that answers the question.

jackempty0

Born on a Monday
Basing it on an amount is somewhat difficult. So like if Combo Breaker went from 100 to 89 i would still consider it a Major. But considering each year having great numbers for NRS i don't see that happening. The only way i can think of a major going to regional is if year 1 it got 150, year 2 got 60. Some sort of very large change. Event that have that issue at put as regional for this reason actually. I hope that answers the question.
it does... i just for see a problem coming up, like the last time someone tried to do this, where there will be a lot of arguing over what is or isnt a major.

there was a big issue last time with people trying to discredit other players accomplishments or vice versa. there were players who believed they were top ten or whatever but the numbers didnt back that up so people tried to discredit the system or the tourneys.

this is a community that feeds on discrediting, just look at the first thing anyone talks about whenever someone wins. (i.e.) before congrats or good job, the character that wins is mentioned and not the player. not all but the most vocal.

anyway... rant over.. just trying to figure out a way to avoid that.

Indecisive

it does... i just for see a problem coming up, like the last time someone tried to do this, where there will be a lot of arguing over what is or isnt a major.

there was a big issue last time with people trying to discredit other players accomplishments or vice versa. there were players who believed they were top ten or whatever but the numbers didnt back that up so people tried to discredit the system or the tourneys.

this is a community that feeds on discrediting, just look at the first thing anyone talks about whenever someone wins. (i.e.) before congrats or good job, the character that wins is mentioned and not the player. not all but the most vocal.

anyway... rant over.. just trying to figure out a way to avoid that.
Ya i see what you are saing. Me and TTH talked about it a lot on what should be considered a major. We figured the ones we listed are the correct qualifications. Its also why i want other members thoughts. If a few people don't agree then i will try to fix it. But i believe this list is reasonable for everyone. Its also currently better than the SRK ranking. If someone thinks they are top 10 but results don't back it up get better lol.

Lokheit

Noob
Was thinking about something like this, like with tenis and similar rankings, when the EVO criticism started thinking it could be great to have a system ranking the MK players based on performance on majors and help making balanced pools. It would be great for the scene and I think more players would try to compete in more places.

jackempty0

Born on a Monday
Ya i see what you are saing. Me and TTH talked about it a lot on what should be considered a major. We figured the ones we listed are the correct qualifications. Its also why i want other members thoughts. If a few people don't agree then i will try to fix it. But i believe this list is reasonable for everyone. Its also currently better than the SRK ranking. If someone thinks they are top 10 but results don't back it up get better lol.
yeah i like what you have got. i think a full comprehensive list of all the tournaments and what they qualify as is next up on the docket

Indecisive

The only thing that is troublesome is that i think when Injustice 2 comes out to have no seeding. Just let everything rock. We don't know who will good at the start. But a lot of people will disagree with this. Rip

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
I feel like, just like sports seasons, you should just drop points that are over a year old. So much changes in these games, and a year is like an eternity. Even half credit is probably overdoing it.

It should really take new placings to get a seed in the current year, not points leftover from events that are 17 months old.

ATP2014

The best mediocre Batman
Good idea, but I feel you should be slightly more inclusive in determining the seeding points. That way you minimize personal/regional bias as much as possible.

Indecisive

I feel like, just like sports seasons, you should just drop points that are over a year old. So much changes in these games, and a year is like an eternity. Even half credit is probably overdoing it.

It should really take new placings to get a seed in the current year, not points leftover from events that are 17 months old.
The big issue with this is when EVO is. If EVO was at the end of the year then it would work better for getting a top 32 seeding. But since its in July you can only get a certain amount of events which some people might be able to go to. If you get rid of all the points at years end then you basically get rid of points for a lot of events.

Indecisive

Good idea, but I feel you should be slightly more inclusive in determining the seeding points. That way you minimize personal/regional bias as much as possible.
I did minimize the bias as much as possible. It was much worse before TTH helped actually lol