What's new

NRS didn't fix the fundamental issue with Frost-Byte.

Kindred

Let Be Be Finale Of Seem
Let me preface by saying I really want to be proven wrong here. I also really want to play this variation because it reminds me of Cyber Sub Zero and it was initially going to be my main.

IMO, NRS put a bandaid on a severed leg with this variation. Its biggest problem is still the lack of damage.

Playing around in the lab, I noticed that a lot of strings, upon hit confirm, would leave the opponent at a perfect range for a close bomb and a subsequent grab (B22~DB2B, 22~DB2B, 13~DB2B, etc). Pair this with her lack of a combo extender, like the Microburst, and it feels like NRS meant for Frost-Byte to be played purely as a bomb set up character. Perhaps they were thinking that people would be frozen multiple times in a round, granting her map control and damage.

If your bomb connects, you have 2 options. Go for damage with something like B31D2 > 13~BF4 , granting you 185 dmg, or go for another set up with B31D2 > B31~DB2B, while doing 124 dmg. This shitty damage is even more perplexing when you realize that if they werent frozen to begin with, the dmg is at 234 and 152 respectively. Why so much scaling? Probably because NRS thought it was going to happen a lot.

Given her shitty damage, it would be wise to continue with another set up to get the opponent stuck in our loop. Despite the range buff, this is still easier said than done.
What are the options of the opponent faced with the set up?
  • If they keep blocking, you grab them and they get frozen.
  • If they wake up with a string, it will hit you but they still get frozen.
Their best options are to delay wakeup, roll away, jump or U2/3(if it has a fast recovery). Even if they get hit out of the air, they arent going to get frozen. Basically, there are many ways of negating the core of her gameplay, which good players will catch on early.
The lack of a reliable way of extending combos makes the variation still shitty. The lack of a combo extender also means a restriction on what you can do with KB combos (midscreen and corner), it means flawless blocking U2 will only get you 166 dmg with U2 > B31~BF4 vs the 250 dmg that Ice Machine gets.

When they gave Cyber Sub-Zero bombs (talking mainly MKX here), they didnt take away his iceball. He did less damage than his peers but he was able to inflict damage often because he had good mixups & staggers. Frost doesnt have mixups, doesnt have a reliable combo extender and so has to rely on grabs and gimmicks to inch her way to victory.
There is a similar scenario with the WSL variation of Liu Kang. WSL does less damage than the other variation but liu Kang's button allow you to open up opponents more easily. A lot of good staggers, a lot of useful strings that can be made extra safe with an amplified fireball. What he lacks in damage, he makes up for in how often he opens up the opponent. Frost-Byte doesnt have that type of pressure, nor does she have a buff so that we say "ok her dmg isnt great but that buff really makes up for it".

What about her corner game? Ice machine is a monster in the corner, Frost-byte not so much. You throw a close bomb and it still goes too far to use as a set-up. Sure you can do B2~close bomb, and then go in for a grab. However the people I play against can react to the 104f start up of a bomb and they know that a D2 (KB) makes the bomb disappear from the field.

I was really hoping they would do more to make this variation viable but as it stands, I find that it's still shit. Making the Bomb take up one space instead of 2 would've been great but honestly, I think just giving her the microburst instead of the arctic barrage would have solved a lot of her problems.
I'm going to continue labbing and using it because I really hope I'm wrong. I hope we will find some crazy way to compensate for her lackluster damage.

Xzyj

Noob
that variations sucks for 1 important reason, you trade high combos for potential frost bomb setup, and overall you won't get your value off of it enough compared to higher combos damage-wise

It's even worse now that headbash is suddenly the best move Frost has. When you send your head rolling on the ground, no more headbash for you. Just really weird what they were thinking with Frost-Byte.

BurdaA

Frost-Byte
It’s fun, and I main it as best I can, but it’s even harder to justify not using ice machine now. Ice machine is fucking good now.

Wigy

There it is...
Issue with this variation is lack of air grenade.

That cements Frost's neutral and grounds your opponent. I've found her hardest matchups are the ones where trying to get grenades out is dangerous. It's mad that cryo crown is 2 slots and removes one of her best specials

Kindred

Let Be Be Finale Of Seem
Issue with this variation is lack of air grenade.

That cements Frost's neutral and grounds your opponent. I've found her hardest matchups are the ones where trying to get grenades out is dangerous. It's mad that cryo crown is 2 slots and removes one of her best specials
Honestly, even with the air grenade, I feel it would still not fix the fact that she doesnt do damage at all. The utility of the air grenade also decreases when the opponent knows it's just a high. Im not saying it's a bad move but I feel that just adding the air grenade wouldnt make her viable.

Wigy

There it is...
Honestly, even with the air grenade, I feel it would still not fix the fact that she doesnt do damage at all. The utility of the air grenade also decreases when the opponent knows it's just a high. Im not saying it's a bad move but I feel that just adding the air grenade wouldnt make her viable.
If I was guna make a change that would be the one. With air grenade and grounded bomb it would really give her so much more neutral presence.

She does need something else to compete with her other variation having the shield launcher and the drill.

Dreamcatcher

EFL Founder
They did the same thing with a few characters and variations no one really played before. coughCetrioncough

I'm definitely enjoying Frost more with the insane string buff, that's for sure.

vegeta

Saiyan Prince
Nope sure didn’t.
Overall too regardless of the welcome changes.....sigh....she’s still.....not quite “there”
Whatever that is. Im still trying to put my finger on it.

Kindred

Let Be Be Finale Of Seem
Nope sure didn’t.
Overall too regardless of the welcome changes.....sigh....she’s still.....not quite “there”
Whatever that is. Im still trying to put my finger on it.
I feel Frosts' overall difficulty is opening people up really.
  1. She doesnt have that pressure to get someone to press a button out of turn. Her moves are very clearly defined in terms of when they end and when it isnt her turn anymore. (obviously if you play someone who is very unfamiliar with her, they get wrecked, but that's true for every character)
  2. Her 3 overhead moves (B2212, B31D2, Hop attacks) are all slow and very punishable
  3. Because of #2, if you face a decent player that crouch blocks most of the match, your only option is to Grab, a lot.
  4. Many of the strings she uses for footsies or pressure are flawless bloackable at the last hit: B2(2), B3(1)(D2), 13(2), 13(4), 344(2). Against some people, I legit cannot use B22 anymore.
  5. For the trouble she has to go through to open people up, youd think her dmg makes up for it but not really. Midscreen B2212(KB) is bad, anti-air combo dmg is bad, conversions are hard because the Microburst doesnt always freeze the person. Many opportunities for damage that other characters can take advantage of she can only gets a fraction of the benefits.
With respect to Frost-byte, she has all those issues and a serious lack of damage.

scarsunseen

RIP TYM 6/11/2021
imo, they should make Frost-Byte's BF4 not have such strict KB requirements.

"Triggers if it KOUNTERS or PUNISHES a LOW of DUCKING attack."

It should just be a KB if they're low blocking, just like how Kabal has a KB if you're just stand-blocking.

They could also give her some sort of amplified head-bomb. I think she should also have unique normals when she is headless. She loses B121 without her head, so they could just give her something else for a moment.

Just some thoughts...