What's new

NRS development cycles and MK11 potential lifespan?

Predict the MK11 lifespan;

• 1 year

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • 2 years

Votes: 35 34.0%
  • 3 years

Votes: 34 33.0%
  • 4 years

Votes: 19 18.4%
  • 5+ years

Votes: 9 8.7%

• Total voters

Thingy

Retired account
If MK11 is even half as good as it seems, I will boycott Injustice 3 and keep playing MK11.

chrisisnice

I'm a lover, not a fighter
There is one reason that SF lasts so long - Japan.

Japan is arguably the biggest influence in e-sports and almost all of the main competitive fighting titles come out of there.

Thousands of people pay to watch the matches in Japan, so it supports itself. SF is arguably the most illustrious title to win and it is where the big money is at - this has influenced people around the world. Due to these factors, the game is made with competition and viewership in mind as that is partially where the title makes its money.

While I love MK, it is a casual gamer title and it is not taken seriously. It has (comparatively) small numbers at its events and it is quite a niche title for genuine competitive play. It has no traction in Japan, and I doubt it ever will. It will never last longer than two years.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
People make a big deal about this, but it’s actually pretty simple — we’re one community. We’re not big enough to sustain two games. And on a professional level, it makes no sense to take time away from the game with thousands of dollars in sponsored prize pools to grind the older game and maybe make $150 if you win. So even when guys play the older title occasionally for fun, the level of play among active tournament players drops significantly and everybody knows it.

Because of this, the tournament community will switch when the new game comes out. But it’s actually not a ‘problem’ — it’s perfectly fine. And people will still hold some events online for the people that want to play the older game, like Destroyer did last year.

I don’t know why people always act like this is some huge issue that needs fixing. If we actually grow big enough to become two separate communities, with two mostly separate groups of tournament top players, then it’ll change. But until then we’re exactly where we should be and it’s fine.

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
People make a big deal about this, but it’s actually pretty simple — we’re one community. We’re not big enough to sustain two games. And on a professional level, it makes no sense to take time away from the game with thousands of dollars in sponsored prize pools to grind the older game and maybe make $150 if you win. So even when guys play the older title occasionally for fun, the level of play among active tournament players drops significantly and everybody knows it.

Because of this, the tournament community will switch when the new game comes out. But it’s actually not a ‘problem’ — it’s perfectly fine. And people will still hold some events online for the people that want to play the older game, like Destroyer did last year.

I don’t know why people always act like this is some huge issue that needs fixing. If we actually grow big enough to become two separate communities, with two mostly separate groups of tournament top players, then it’ll change. But until then we’re exactly where we should be and it’s fine.
I've been half-way tempted to just copy and paste your trending post from a few weeks ago regarding the subject.
I still might.

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.
My hope is that NRS treats the game like an ongoing project like SFV, Tekken, and even Overwatch.

Those games are constantly getting thrown new stuff some of which is entirely free and I'l love to see new characters, modes, stages, customization options, heading our way at a steady pace.

Krankk

Smoke & Noob & Rain
I mean... the next gen consoles are on the horizon. I assume we'll get them in 1-2 years. NRS will most likely be pushing hard to have one of the first fighting games on the market, since with that alone they would get quite a big boost in sales.
If the next gen consoles launch in 1 year, I could see NRS remastering the ultimate edition of MK11 for the next gen consoles. I don't expect to see any further support. If the next gen consoles launch in 2 years, I expect NRS to launch Injustice 3. Especially with the DCEU finally getting its crap together and starting to release slightly better movies than before (I liked Shazam and Aquaman wasn't all too bad either). But honestly, even then I see them remastering MK11 for the next gen. It's just additional easy money.

B. Shazzy

NRS shill #42069
mods are fools. if you strike derico down he’ll only come back stronger than they can possibly imagine