What's new

Not new to FGs, but I'm new to NRS games.

TaiteFGC

Time to learn :^)
Hey everyone,

I've been playing fighting games for quite a while now, and I'm very familiar with the idea of the neutral game, mixups, okizeme, etc. However, Injustice 2 is the first NRS game I've gotten into and I really like it so far. I enjoy the game, but its very different from Capcom fighters and Anime Fighters by quite a bit. The game is a lot more focused on pressure strings and juggles unlike the former games I've played where its more about confirming pokes and punishes into a combo in terms of applying significant damage.

So here's a few questions I have so far:
1. I've come to the conclusion that I don't want to play Injustice on Stick anymore. Where can I find a good PS1 to PS4 converter? Brook's Ps2 converters are sold out just about everywhere I looked.
2. I've had some difficulty with execution in this game. Is it because the execution in this game is actually difficult or is it just because its different from what I'm used to? The lack of trials in this game also makes getting used to the strings/combos in this game more difficult.
3. What character would you guys suggest for me? I like characters that are low execution and great in the neutral game (Faust in Guilty Gear, Teddie and Yukiko in Persona, etc.). I see that Aquaman, Scarecrow, Green Arrow, and Black Adam can fit that bill, but I don't know enough about the game to make the assessment. I was really hard on picking up Harley and Robin, but their seemingly high execution barrier deterred me away. Whoever is the highest tiered yet lowest played character (Weird saying, but think Juri in USF4. Really solid, but low player base) is who I'll stick with. The game is still super young and I don't expect this question to be definitively answered, but as this thread matures maybe someone will eventually have that answer.

masherofbuttons

I'll mash out of +30 I know no fear
Execution isn't particularly hard in this game. Just have to get used to it I guess.
I think focusattack should be able to supply you. They have most things in stock.
Aquaman and adam both have a really strong neutral and don't have many difficult links. They are popular characters though so they're played often. It's too early to say what characters will be rare and what characters will not be though

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Hey everyone,

I've been playing fighting games for quite a while now, and I'm very familiar with the idea of the neutral game, mixups, okizeme, etc. However, Injustice 2 is the first NRS game I've gotten into and I really like it so far. I enjoy the game, but its very different from Capcom fighters and Anime Fighters by quite a bit. The game is a lot more focused on pressure strings and juggles unlike the former games I've played where its more about confirming pokes and punishes into a combo in terms of applying significant damage.

So here's a few questions I have so far:
1. I've come to the conclusion that I don't want to play Injustice on Stick anymore. Where can I find a good PS1 to PS4 converter? Brook's Ps2 converters are sold out just about everywhere I looked.
2. I've had some difficulty with execution in this game. Is it because the execution in this game is actually difficult or is it just because its different from what I'm used to? The lack of trials in this game also makes getting used to the strings/combos in this game more difficult.
3. What character would you guys suggest for me? I like characters that are low execution and great in the neutral game (Faust in Guilty Gear, Teddie and Yukiko in Persona, etc.). I see that Aquaman, Scarecrow, Green Arrow, and Black Adam can fit that bill, but I don't know enough about the game to make the assessment. I was really hard on picking up Harley and Robin, but their seemingly high execution barrier deterred me away. Whoever is the highest tiered yet lowest played character (Weird saying, but think Juri in USF4. Really solid, but low player base) is who I'll stick with. The game is still super young and I don't expect this question to be definitively answered, but as this thread matures maybe someone will eventually have that answer.
Not sure about the converters. I use the standard PS4 controller.

The execution isn't difficult, it's just a lot different from other games. @UltraDavid has made some great videos helping explain some of the nuances of NRS comboing.

Watch those and if you're still struggling let me know.

Low execution characters in Injustice 2 would be Superman, Aquaman, Batman etc. Characters like Black Adam are also simple to use and you can do monster damage with him. Deadshot is easy as well if you like zoning and letting the salt flow!

TaiteFGC

Execution isn't particularly hard in this game. Just have to get used to it I guess.
I think focusattack should be able to supply you. They have most things in stock.
Aquaman and adam both have a really strong neutral and don't have many difficult links. They are popular characters though so they're played often. It's too early to say what characters will be rare and what characters will not be though
I checked FA yesterday, turns out they're out of stock. And seeing as the 2nd hand market on ebay is sky high for one, looks like they're more than likely discontinued :(
I'm now thinking about getting an XB360 converter since I really like the afterglow D-Pads and I liked the Revision to the XB360 D-Pad.

https://www.focusattack.com/brook-super-converter-playstation-2-to-ps3-ps4-adapter/

TaiteFGC

@Juggs I checked out UltraDavid's videos a few days ago, they're really informative. Didn't know about the Frame Data vid though, thanks for the links!

The execution is something I'm gonna have to work on, So that simply comes down to me grinding it out.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
@Juggs I checked out UltraDavid's videos a few days ago, they're really informative. Didn't know about the Frame Data vid though, thanks for the links!

The execution is something I'm gonna have to work on, So that simply comes down to me grinding it out.
What specifically in execution are you having trouble with? And yeah, best way to get better is simply just practice practice practice

TaiteFGC

When a string isn't straight forward like Batman's 123 (kinda like hitting mhs in Marvel, so it felt comfortable), it feels funny and some strings don't launch so I end up not seeing the use in some of them. When I was trying Harley, I found that she was difficult because the strings felt odd from what I'm used to in SF and her combo starters isn't very "pokey" if that makes since. Plus, when I was playing on stick, having to reach so far to hit the 7th and 8th buttons felt so weird since I've only ever used 4-6 buttons. It's definitely a game made for pad warriors, so I'm gonna pick up a pad to play with (which I just bit the bullet and bought a converter.).

The MK style inputs for specials are kinda hard for me to keep in mind too. I remember Maxilmillian saying back in GAU that its better to keep the MK inputs though because it'll make execution much less strenuous since some characters have HCBs for inputs that are DBFs and such. That being said, I'm going to stick to the MK inputs since this is something that will obviously take time. Batman is really the only character that I can do combos with somewhat consistently, but he doesn't fit my playstyle. Even then, this is all stuff I've done in the lab and if it was in a MU online (which I've yet to get on), it would be far less consistent.

Last edited:

kaseyk

Noob
Pretty much every character has depth to them ( even the shitters ) that make mu knowledge super important .
Body size is a thing in nrs games so keep in mind something you learn against one body type like bane might not be so easy or even possible on another like Catwoman , same goes for characters that walk on the ground or float . Game is still young so all of that isn't figured out 100% just yet so basically good habit to use multiple size characters as practice dummies .

Turn off release check in settings immediately if you haven't already .
If you're a fg player then adjusting to execution won't be to big of a deal it's just a bit different is all . Some things are easy and some things are hard . you know what your level of execution is better than anyone else so if you like a character alot but the things that make them really damn good aren't up your alley don't be afraid to switch and try someone else . Every character feels so much more unique compared to other fg imo .

Practice mode is one of the best in any fg period and info on any character is really easy to find . Good luck on gettin gud

TaiteFGC

Why should I turn off negative edge? Isn't negative edge a helpful tool? I know it is in SF, but why not in Injustice?

WynterEnd

Your sacrifice honors me!
When a string isn't straight forward like Batman's 123 (kinda like hitting mhs in Marvel, so it felt comfortable), it feels funny and some strings don't launch so I end up not seeing the use in some of them. When I was trying Harley, I found that she was difficult because the strings felt odd from what I'm used to in SF. Plus, when I was playing on stick, having to reach so far to hit the 7th and 8th buttons felt so weird since I've only ever used 4-6 buttons. It's definitely a game made for pad warriors, so I'm gonna pick up a pad to play with (which I just bit the bullet and bought a converter.).

The MK style inputs for specials are kinda hard for me to keep in mind too. I remember Maxilmillian saying back in GAU that its better to keep the MK inputs though because it'll make execution much less strenuous since some characters have HCBs for inputs that are DBFs and such. That being said, I'm going to stick to the MK inputs since this is something that will obviously take time. Batman is really the only character that I can do combos with somewhat consistently, but he doesn't fit my playstyle. Even then, this is all stuff I've done in the lab and if it was in a MU online (which I've yet to get on), it would be far less consistent.
I think I was in the exact same boat as you're in now when I bought MKX. That was an even bigger learning curve (hello block button).

I think you're on the right track. Definitely play pad and definitely use the MK controls. Make sure release check is set to off as well, in the controller options.

I struggled for a decent while, but that was kinda fun actually (at least new), and when I finally got over the hump and ended up with pretty high execution it felt really good. I almost prefer the NRS style combos and controls now.

I think, in terms of character, you might give Catwoman a try. She doesn't have a fireball, but her straight whip has good neutral range, and F1 and B2 are good buttons. And full screen MB catdash is a zoning punisher. Combos aren't hard at all (and her trait is basically a single button combo). Some of her strings are odd though (like B1,D2,3) but that will help you get used to odd strings.

You'll probably struggle for a while, but when it clicks you'll level up fast! Good luck and have fun, really cool game!

WynterEnd

Your sacrifice honors me!
Why should I turn off negative edge? Isn't negative edge a helpful tool? I know it is in SF, but why not in Injustice?
Just saw that kaseyk said the same thing.

Yes, helpful in SF but in NRS games it screws up combos and special cancels bad.

TaiteFGC

I wasn't trying to dispute it, I was just trying to know the answer. I'll turn it off.

Catwoman is pretty cool, and I'll probably give her more of a try.

kaseyk

Noob
Was just teasing brother no worries . Idk why it's a default setting honestly . Test it out in labs I'd bet money you will start feeling the game much quicker . I personally turn off alt control release check and input shortcut

Superman is a great character choice, super low execution, great mix ups, zoning, and amazing neutral game. I thought he would be picked more often but I have not run into many in ranked. even though tons of people may play him just learn the ropes with him and get decent at blocking then make a character switch when you are more comfortable.

masherofbuttons

I'll mash out of +30 I know no fear
I checked FA yesterday, turns out they're out of stock. And seeing as the 2nd hand market on ebay is sky high for one, looks like they're more than likely discontinued :(
I'm now thinking about getting an XB360 converter since I really like the afterglow D-Pads and I liked the Revision to the XB360 D-Pad.

https://www.focusattack.com/brook-super-converter-playstation-2-to-ps3-ps4-adapter/
Not exactly what you're looking for, but I'm playing on a hori fc pro since I don't like the ps4 pad. They're easy to come by and feel amazing.
If you want to practice sometime (I remember adding you last week) we could do that. I'm 6-7 hours ahead though so it'll probably be around 1-2 for you when I'm online

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
If you have got a PS4, better stick with PS4 pad. You'll understand why once you get to compare all the controllers based of how it fits you. For most of us, like me, PS4 one fits well due of L2's and R2's shape.

If you learn an easy combo and know it off by heart, try comparing the Release Check On and Off to see why we ask you to turn it off.

Unlike the 2D fighting games, you'll need to know the timing between the combo strings regarding the juggles and such stuff. It will take you some time to get used to it.

There are some fighters like @st9rm and @Eddy Wang , who still play the FGs with hitboxes. If you're into them, try it.

Speaking of which characters would you want, there's the tutorial in Injustice 2 to let you know which char you want to learn and know. Since I, also, play Guilty Gears, I'll let you know that NRS games are different than the anime games. The low hits like Faust's can be cancelled into any special move, but can't be cancelled into combo strings. You'll have to check their move list to see which combo string starts low and which high.

Welcome to the NRS side and good luck! ;)

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
If you have got a PS4, better stick with PS4 pad. You'll understand why once you get to compare all the controllers based of how it fits you. For most of us, like me, PS4 one fits well due of L2's and R2's shape.

If you learn an easy combo and know it off by heart, try comparing the Release Check On and Off to see why we ask you to turn it off.

Unlike the 2D fighting games, you'll need to know the timing between the combo strings regarding the juggles and such stuff. It will take you some time to get used to it.

There are some fighters like @st9rm and @Eddy Wang , who still play the FGs with hitboxes. If you're into them, try it.

Speaking of which characters would you want, there's the tutorial in Injustice 2 to let you know which char you want to learn and know. Since I, also, play Guilty Gears, I'll let you know that NRS games are different than the anime games. The low hits like Faust's can be cancelled into any special move, but can't be cancelled into combo strings. You'll have to check their move list to see which combo string starts low and which high.

Welcome to the NRS side and good luck! ;)
I play with a Arcade Stick, though i always wanted a hitbox tho, but TYM allienated themselves to the hitbox because kabal, they were accusing ppl of having easier execution on them, so this didn't stop REO to pick a Dual Shock 3 and still do 2ndcs all season on them lul.

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
I play with a Arcade Stick, though i always wanted a hitbox tho, but TYM allienated themselves to the hitbox because kabal, they were accusing ppl of having easier execution on them, so this didn't stop REO to pick a Dual Shock 3 and still do 2ndcs all season on them lul.
lol

I thought you played with a hitbox due of your videos having hitbox-like animations at the bottom screen showing the combos and such.

A hitbox on this might work wonders stixk with stick tho i can play pad but i never feel comfy my hands hurt and get sweaty with stick i can play for hours and hours no pain no sweat better excution

What's up people? Just wanted to know..... is background Bounce (Midscreen) Safe on block or plus or anything? I was wondering if it was safe to 2 in 1 them in neutral?

TRVP6GXD

Noob
I'm new to the nrs scene as well. Finding some of the community to be decent and welcoming but most just seem pretentious,arrogant and egotistical. But like I said, some of them are helpful and welcoming to newcomers.