What's new

Noob Saibot General Discussion Thread

Idk if ppl are doing this but I like to end my combos with jik sickle-port. You recover before the opponent. Can back dash b1, 1+3 punish most wake-ups. Can throw if you think they will get up and hold block. You have a bunch of time to safe jump most uppercuts, u2, and u3. Teleport will catch and punish all wake-up and fatal blow attempts, and can be done as long as you have meter. I been kinda playing Noob as a character whose mix-up is on oki. Once ppl respect the fact they can't wake-up or hit buttons that i cant punish the game Get easier. Also jump 2 will alter tge sickle port in the corner and place you behind the opponent. Jik will always place you in front of the opponent.

Hitoshura

Head Cage
While true its our only mid starter string, we play a character that doesn't have to take risks if need be. We can reliably punish most of the cast when they do make a mistake on whiff or on block. That's the beauty of this character. We can play as safe(defensive/dry/lame) as need be in most situations, simply because there are tools Noob has that you just have to respect. I do however feel that characters that can get around having to deal with him at close/midrange and enact their gameplan without have to deal with his tools(we know who they are) will be the problems. Even in those unfavorable MUs, they still have to be on point with their hitconfirms/mixups because anything -7 or worse that doesn't pushback(and even some moves that do pushback) can lead to easy 35% with Noob right outside most d1 ranges at +5. IMO unless something drastic that is discovered, I feel he can handle any match in the game. That's just my take though.
What character do you think get around having to deal with his tools up close/midrange that are problems for him? I've been having some resistance in playing against Skarlet. We can teleslam most of her projectiles, but when it comes to the midrange game Noob struggles against her.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
We can teleslam most of her projectiles, but when it comes to the midrange game Noob struggles against her.
Are you punishing the projectiles on reaction? To me, the teleport is too slow in order to do so consistently. I have been using Scorpion recently, and the difference between the teleports is enormous. Even while under the influence of various recreational drugs, you can still react to and punish almost all projectiles with Scorpion's teleport. LOL.

Speaking of the mid range game, do you, or anyone else for that matter, struggle against characters who can punish b+1,1+3 on block? Geras punishes with a krushing blow quick sand for 31%. LOL. You lose your best check after d+3 hits which affects your throw game.

And sorry for the lack of a reply. I have no experience fighting Kitana.

What character do you think get around having to deal with his tools up close/midrange that are problems for him? I've been having some resistance in playing against Skarlet. We can teleslam most of her projectiles, but when it comes to the midrange game Noob struggles against her.
Any character that can either outzone him/operate outside b2 range. One of his big strengths is the ability to control midrange. B2 just destroys any kind of shimmy, and when you mix it in with b3/d4, I find myself conditioning the opponent to not do anything if at negative frames, which opens them up for throw attempts, and an occasional b1/b2 check if they try to mash d2/d1 to beat the throw attempt. SZ, Erron, Skarlet immediately come to mind. Not too knowledgeable on the Jade MU, but just off of glance at her frames/ moveset she seems to be a possible bad match, but please correct me if im wrong. I do believe however Trini is right about b1, 1+3 punishment being a huge factor in MUs. Not in the sense of it being punished on block but moreso on whiff. Outside of the aforementioned three, I get good mileage out of whiffing b1 just to catch the opponent trying to move in/counter poke with the 1+3 followup. The characters that can punish that and relegate it to a hit confirm/punish tool already have a good advantage. There's a lot of characters I can't comment on due to lack of experience though. I just know I'm at a loss against Erron. I welcome any tips on that fight lol.

Hitoshura

Head Cage
Any character that can either outzone him/operate outside b2 range. One of his big strengths is the ability to control midrange. B2 just destroys any kind of shimmy, and when you mix it in with b3/d4, I find myself conditioning the opponent to not do anything if at negative frames, which opens them up for throw attempts, and an occasional b1/b2 check if they try to mash d2/d1 to beat the throw attempt. SZ, Erron, Skarlet immediately come to mind. Not too knowledgeable on the Jade MU, but just off of glance at her frames/ moveset she seems to be a possible bad match, but please correct me if im wrong. I do believe however Trini is right about b1, 1+3 punishment being a huge factor in MUs. Not in the sense of it being punished on block but moreso on whiff. Outside of the aforementioned three, I get good mileage out of whiffing b1 just to catch the opponent trying to move in/counter poke with the 1+3 followup. The characters that can punish that and relegate it to a hit confirm/punish tool already have a good advantage. There's a lot of characters I can't comment on due to lack of experience though. I just know I'm at a loss against Erron. I welcome any tips on that fight lol.
I find fighting against Sub-Zero to be not too difficult, although I've only faced against 1 and it was his dead of winter variation. His overhead is punishable on block and so is his ice ball. Outside of that he is very safe. I try to space myself to have him whiff shoulder charge and punish accordingly. It's a matchup that requires patience.

In terms of zoners, I'd disagree. We can teleslam projectiles if we see them come out. Noob is not a zoner. He has spirit ball as a zoning tool, but that's it. Zoning isn't his game plan anymore. He is a character that is more focussed good neutrals and punishes. I feel like Skarlet gives us problems because once we're in midrange she has a lot of range to stop our attempts to take control of the space. This is a matchup that requires a lot of patience.

In terms of other zoners, I feel Centrion isn't a bad matchup at all. I played against a friend's Centrion, who is really skillful at fighting games, and I found the matchup to be about even. Again, you're going to need patience for this matchup because getting in takes a little time. Boulders are + on block and Centrion players will frame trap you if you attempt to do anything right after that. Her projectile in air is easily punishable with teleslam if you see the animation start. You can also punish her earthquake move with telslam, but the timing is tricky. Centrion's earthquake move hits twice, but in between hits you can time a telslam and the second hit will whiff as Noob is in the air already. This is something you're going to need to practice in training mode. I don't have it consistently down yet, but it's something use Noob players need to get down for this matchup.

Zer0_h0ur

XBL tag: South of Zero
So what is the ideal Noob in terms of customizable variations? Shadow portals, spirit ball, and shadow dive kick? Has anyone devised Noob's "perfect variation"? I am curious what people have to say.

@D. R. , @Hitoshura , @Orochi
You have to have the Tele shadow for amped combos
Sickle snag seems obvious for same reason
The third would be preference. I choose the fast projectile but I'm eager to see what pros can do with that slow adjustable overhead shadow projectile. Can be used like Sonyas Kat drop

zHawken

Would you settle for me sausage?
So what is the ideal Noob in terms of customizable variations? Shadow portals, spirit ball, and shadow dive kick? Has anyone devised Noob's "perfect variation"? I am curious what people have to say.

Personally I use slide, air divekick clone, and amp tele, with a focus more on zoning than space control. Amp tele is a must just for the free damage but the other 2 are pretty malleable

STB Bodam

"Game... Blouses."
Would it kinda break Noob if F221 combo'd into Teleport? With his lack of mid-starters, I feel like this would really help. At least for me.

What do you guys think?

Dante

Noob
I'd rather have f2 be mid. You get good combo in corner and when snag variations become a thing its gonna be ok

TONY-T

Mad scientist

Im going to go with....

Shadow Portals: (obvious reasons),
Spirit Ball: (because imo most combos should end in b1,1+3~bf1 for +5 frames)
Sickle Snag: (good anti air plus combo starter and extender)

This would be my go to Variation. Though I do like Shadow Dive, Ghost Ball, (Air) Tele Slam and Shadow Slide, moves too. Am not a fan of the other sickle moves (yet). I just haven't found them to be of much use.

I just wish NRS would ditch Variations and just give the character all the moves they created for him. Variations inevitably lead to exclusions. Such a waste.

ColdBoreMK23

Noob Saibot
The matchups I can give insight on 100% are Johnny, Kano, and Liu.

I think Noob fairs well against Johnny, OK against Kano, and piss poor against Liu. I'm at work now but once I get home I'll write up my experience with each. I have about 150-200 matches played against each in long sets over the course of a few days.

I'm gonna talk with my friend who plays all three at a pretty high level and see what his feelings are before I post my final thoughts.

Jhonnykiller45

Shirai Ryu
So I don't know if you guys are experimenting with non-tournament abilities or not but here's something I found with his overhead sicke toss ability
Apparently it counts as a physical attack, and as such, it can be parried... from fullscreen. Good thing it isn't in a tournament variation? lol

Circumstantial high damage combo i found yesterday, might be good to have( for the simple fact it would be fun as shit to execute on someone just to see their reaction/rage quit).

Sickle snag and shadow portals.
2 meter with fatal blow active
Opponenet caught stand blocking.

B3 1+3 kb, 113 amp tele, 113 amp sickle snag, b1 1+3 fatal blow. 665.13 damage

Have to walk/dash after kb/ spec cancels and strings. Play around with it to figure out timing

Hitoshura

Head Cage
Are you punishing the projectiles on reaction? To me, the teleport is too slow in order to do so consistently. I have been using Scorpion recently, and the difference between the teleports is enormous. Even while under the influence of various recreational drugs, you can still react to and punish almost all projectiles with Scorpion's teleport. LOL.

Speaking of the mid range game, do you, or anyone else for that matter, struggle against characters who can punish b+1,1+3 on block? Geras punishes with a krushing blow quick sand for 31%. LOL. You lose your best check after d+3 hits which affects your throw game.

And sorry for the lack of a reply. I have no experience fighting Kitana.
I'm punishing them on reaction. I've missed one or two punishes, but I try and keep my eye on Skarlet at a distance. Anytime I see the beginning animation of low blood or blood ball I'll throw out a teleslam. The blood balls are tight, so you have to really keep an eye on her if you want to punish. Scorpion is much better at punishing zoners for sure! Such a great teleport.

In terms of characters that can punish Noob's b1 on block I tend to not use it against them. I don't use that move as often as b3. B3 has great range and has an option select with teleslam. If b3 land then you get a free combo.

No worries on the Kitana matchup insight. I just need to practice against her more. I may lab her to see what's punishable.

Hitoshura

Head Cage

If I were to make a custom variation for Noob with his best tools I'd give him Spirit Ball, Shadow Portals and Air Teleslam. Shadow dive kick seems like a luxury skill and so does Sickle Snag. Shadow Slide isn't worth it and everything else he has is bleh. With air teleslam you can check someone in air, then air teleslam them, then amplify it for a free combo.

TheGlow

Retired Noob
In terms of characters that can punish Noob's b1 on block I tend to not use it against them. I don't use that move as often as b3. B3 has great range and has an option select with teleslam. If b3 land then you get a free combo.
So I hear. I cant even hit this on purpose hoping it hits, let alone option select. Or it comes out and is blockable.
For some reason b3 into tele or spirit ball is giving me problems constantly. I can do 112, tele amp, 112, b1, 1+3, tele fairly consistent but hell if I can b3, bf1...

TheGlow

Retired Noob
If I were to make a custom variation for Noob with his best tools I'd give him Spirit Ball, Shadow Portals and Air Teleslam. Shadow dive kick seems like a luxury skill and so does Sickle Snag. Shadow Slide isn't worth it and everything else he has is bleh. With air teleslam you can check someone in air, then air teleslam them, then amplify it for a free combo.
That would be my preference. As is the sickle port is lackluster. I try to use it and eat projectiles mid air because it takes so long for the sickle to hit the ground and trigger. Also when amped I have trouble with the tracking. I jumped and sickled myself into the corner just to amp because Kabal was in attack frames and Noob swung the other way into the corner. Not the first time I get tracking issues with him.

Hitoshura

Head Cage
So I hear. I cant even hit this on purpose hoping it hits, let alone option select. Or it comes out and is blockable.
For some reason b3 into tele or spirit ball is giving me problems constantly. I can do 112, tele amp, 112, b1, 1+3, tele fairly consistent but hell if I can b3, bf1...
When you input b3 IMMEDIATELY shift your thumb, or wrist (if you're a stick player) to hold down. As soon as it connects with the opponent you hit up. If the b3 hits the opponent you will always get the teleslam. If they block it then nothing comes out. Practice the rhythm of it in training without the training dummy blocking. You'll see it confirm as a 2 hit combo and know that it's a success. If you mess up on the timing it will either not come out or come out after the b3 has recovered which will give the opponent enough time to block. This is something you just mentioned experiencing.

Hitoshura

Head Cage
That would be my preference. As is the sickle port is lackluster. I try to use it and eat projectiles mid air because it takes so long for the sickle to hit the ground and trigger. Also when amped I have trouble with the tracking. I jumped and sickled myself into the corner just to amp because Kabal was in attack frames and Noob swung the other way into the corner. Not the first time I get tracking issues with him.
Sickle port has its uses. It's a good tool to use in order to get through holes in a zoner's projectile layout, albeit the recovery isn't the best. It's also good when you need to get out the corner and have a moment to jump up and use it. Essentially sickle port is like the mattress in Black Dragon Fight Club that gets us out the corner, but is tied to our variation, so we always have it on deck. I never use it for combos. Extending combos with it seems to be too tight for my liking just for icing on the end of a combo. I'd rather save the meter.

This might be premature, but the Noob/Cassie MU might be 7-3 in her favor. I got in about 200 matches offline this weekend while watching summit, and my only recourse was pick my secondary character(Sonya). I'm still trying my damndest to grind out this MU but i'm at a loss.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
This might be premature, but the Noob/Cassie MU might be 7-3 in her favor. I got in about 200 matches offline this weekend while watching summit, and my only recourse was pick my secondary character(Sonya). I'm still trying my damndest to grind out this MU but i'm at a loss.
What makes the match that bad in your opinion?

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
Regarding the mu vs Cassie, from what i can think perhaps her low gunshots dont trade with ghostball? Her hitbox might be lowered once she does it, so Noob has nothing on her from fullscreen, since clone dissapears if Noob is hit. Plus the fact that Cassie can shot multiple gunshots at once so the trade might be in her favor and the recovery of gunshots seems really good.

In general i believe the majority of the mu's with Noob must be played in mid range.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Regarding the mu vs Cassie, from what i can think perhaps her low gunshots dont trade with ghostball? Her hitbox might be lowered once she does it, so Noob has nothing on her from fullscreen, since clone dissapears if Noob is hit. Plus the fact that Cassie can shot multiple gunshots at once so the trade might be in her favor and the recovery of gunshots seems really good.

In general i believe the majority of the mu's with Noob must be played in mid range.
In other words, Cassie is yet another rush down character who zones Noob out so he is forced to fight up close or at mid range where the advantage is even at best because she has phenomenal normal attacks?