What's new

Noob Saibot Matchup Discussion Thread

Hitoshura

Head Cage
What are your guys thoughts on these matchups?

• Skarlet
  • Liu Kang
  • Sub-Zero
  • Johnny Cage
  • Kano
  • Kitana
  • Jax
  • Geras
I find it difficult to contest the neutral game against Skarlet. She has far better reach then we do and can keep us where she wants us. 4,4 is +6 on block and her only low can be special cancelable into cell ciphon/hentai tentacle. It's also difficult to teleslam on reaction to some of here projectiles. You can do it with low blood and slow blood ball if you really focus on her animations, but fast blood ball is recovers quickly and can only be hit if we guess she's going to throw it out.

HapHaxion

"Knowledge" - Taio Cruz
So after being a month into the game, overall, who do you think are some of Noob's best and worst MUs? Who's been giving y'all the most trouble? Etc.

Saltea Mike

ROG Mike
Premium Supporter
My experiences so far:

- Projectile game - there are only a couple of characters that manage to outzone/outdamage when trading noob's ghostball. The fact that it deals 9% is actually pretty absurd as MB versions of most of the projectiles deal about 11%. It is a ridiculously good projectile until you can outzone/outdamage the opponent.

- B1, 1+3 specific matchups - if a character can't consistently PUNISH b1, 1+3 they automatically do much worse against noob. Unless someone is willing to take a risk and stuff anything noob does after an unpunished b1, 1+3 (which can only get you so far as it's going to work once maybe twice depending on the player's ability to adapt) it becomes a MONSTER of a string. I've played a couple of really decent cassies (st9rm, shura etc) and I think cassie - noob is a winning MU for noob just because cassie cannot punish b1, 1+3.

- B3 - Probably one of the best punishing moves in the game. You can punish about 99% of the fatal blows in the game with this beauty. B3 into MB teleport lands you a guaranteed fatal blow of your own for a punish. However not so strong in mid-screen/neutral. I don't use it too often because most of the times a player that has any game knowledge/noob MU knowledge will crouchblock anyways. It's -17 and can be cancelled into ghostball which makes it... eh .... safe'ish on max range. I don't think I landed B3, 1+3 krushing blow against a good player ever. Not reliable. Overall - amazing punish tool, good'ish' neutral tool.

- F2, F22 - An actual amazing spacing tool. However, it has hitbox/hurtbox issues. For example second 2 in F22 - which is supposed to be a mid BY THE WAY - totally whiffs on a crouchblocking cassie. Yeah.

I might write something more when it comes to mind. However to sum up:

Noob does great against characters that lose the projectile war damage-wise and characters that cannot consistently punish b1, 1+3.

He's solid. Global buffs as in hurtboxes/hitboxes/krushing blow requirements will make him even stronger.

xKMMx

Noob
I've seen a ton of people that are having a super hard time against the "TOP 5".
I honestly have a pretty good record against all of them online cause most players tend to get really lazy with their more powerful tools and become somewhat predictable.
Ive yet to play a Geras that really makes me feel like he is the OP character everyone says he is.

Right now the match up that gives me the most trouble and gets me super salty is actually Jax.

I labbed him a little and basically in the end I fell like you just have to respect every thing he does. There are a really very few ways to punish him and that string with the overhead is safe for some reason.

He has that amazing fast mid string that is only two hits but is plus five and is special cancellable.

Last edited:

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
Premium Supporter
I seem to struggle against Cassie, Sonya and Scorpion (who doesnt). Sonya and Cassie especially if they just decide to zone there isnt much NS can do about it. Just patiently walk in and even then against Cassie its still hard. Against Sonya, you have to be aware of the 50/50s.

Saltea Mike

ROG Mike
Premium Supporter
I seem to struggle against Cassie, Sonya and Scorpion (who doesnt). Sonya and Cassie especially if they just decide to zone there isnt much NS can do about it. Just patiently walk in and even then against Cassie its still hard. Against Sonya, you have to be aware of the 50/50s.
Yeah you have to have a hard read to teleport their zoning. There's no punishing on reaction.

Cassie has much better up close tools and far away tools. This MU sucks. Same goes for Zonya - basically cassie + 50/50 and even more damage.

Scorpion... you just play his game. That's like that with every character, not only noob.

Lui Kang - D3 becomes invaluable to breaking up his staggers but I still suck at turning anything into a full combo against him
Jacqui - She's all up in my face non stop I usually get destroyed
Jax - same as Jacqui

I've found if I'm getting straight up worked for 4+ matches in a row my only consistently reliable tool is a throw and jump in kick.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Royal Contributor
Fighting characters who out-zone Noob such as Cassie, Cetrion, Jade, Geras, and Sonya may be more difficult than fighting characters who punish b+1,1+3 on block. I am aware that a couple of the aforementioned characters do both. Noob has no mix ups, no pressure that can be staggered, and no throws that give okizeme so the reward for closing the gap is poor. I think @Hitoshura is right when he states that Noob is going to become worse as the game develops. I also noticed that Chris G made the switch to Scorpion while Honey Bee has been using D'Vorah a lot more. Waz is exclusively using Jade now. As far as I know, only Toxin is left. LOL.

TheGlow

Retired Noob
Fighting characters who out-zone Noob such as Cassie, Cetrion, Jade, Geras, and Sonya may be more difficult than fighting characters who punish b+1,1+3 on block. I am aware that a couple of the aforementioned characters do both. Noob has no mix ups, no pressure that can be staggered, and no throws that give okizeme so the reward for closing the gap is poor. I think @Hitoshura is right when he states that Noob is going to become worse as the game develops. I also noticed that Chris G made the switch to Scorpion while Honey Bee has been using D'Vorah a lot more. Waz is exclusively using Jade now. As far as I know, only Toxin is left. LOL.
Yes noob is drying up. And Toxin has used Skarlet and Kabal numerous times now.

Hitoshura

Head Cage
I also noticed that Chris G made the switch to Scorpion while Honey Bee has been using D'Vorah a lot more. Waz is exclusively using Jade now. As far as I know, only Toxin is left. LOL.
Damn. Haha.

Fighting characters who out-zone Noob such as Cassie, Cetrion, Jade, Geras, and Sonya may be more difficult than fighting characters who punish b+1,1+3 on block. I am aware that a couple of the aforementioned characters do both. Noob has no mix ups, no pressure that can be staggered, and no throws that give okizeme so the reward for closing the gap is poor. I think @Hitoshura is right when he states that Noob is going to become worse as the game develops.
I will say that Centrion isn't that bad of a matchup. Noob can teleslam in between earthquakes hits, but the timing is odd. You inch in and need to be patient, but maybe I haven't fought any good Centrion's.

It seems a solid amount of characters give Noob some issues, but only slightly. I don't want to say he has any 3-7s because it's still early to tell; however, I will say I have the toughest time against Skarlet, Sonya, Jax, and Cassie.

Last edited:

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
Premium Supporter
Yeah i m starting to agree with you that NS might not be that good after all. His dmg output is awesome but he is like Ermac in mk9. He has to resort to whiff punishing, interrupts and punishes in general to get his dmg going.

STB Bodam

BodamEscapePlan
Maybe I just don't know the matchup but I find Baraka to be terribly frustrating to fight against. Anyone got any tips for that one? I'll love you a lot.

xKMMx

Noob
Maybe I just don't know the matchup but I find Baraka to be terribly frustrating to fight against. Anyone got any tips for that one? I'll love you a lot.
Before I say this let me preface it by saying I know Baraka has better projectile speed than Noob......but.

Ive had success baiting him into trading projectiles full screen then reacting to his ex blade sparks and punishing with a tele slam combo.

If you have a life lead this is much easier cause if you do hit with spirit ball it damages more than blade sparks do.

xKMMx

Noob
Its so sad to have to say this but I do agree with all that are saying Noob is pretty dried up. It didn't take long for people to figure out he isn't that scary.
I still think its awesome that any touch gets you 35 percent minimum if you have the meter. But getting the touch is pretty difficult against a patient player

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
I hate to say this.... but i think alot of Noobs neutral is going to come from NJ and jumping.

The amped sickle port is incredibly powerful tool against people he can't always win projectile wars with.

This allows him to then approach with JiK/JiP to get some good chip or a throw, or a naked jump etc.

I don't think he shoudl be played feet on the ground as much as the other characters, until one of either b3,b1 string becomes safe on block.

Professor Oak

Are you a boy or girl?
You guys should be playing seeing double vs skarlet. His hurtbox adjusts down and back during shadow slide, which blows up a lot of her normals. Jumping around tentacles with air tele punish is easier than cake. Less damage, but it doesnt matter too much. Hitting a few slides and being able to threaten tackle kb reliably makes up for it, imo.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
You guys should be playing seeing double vs skarlet. His hurtbox adjusts down and back during shadow slide, which blows up a lot of her normals. Jumping around tentacles with air tele punish is easier than cake. Less damage, but it doesnt matter too much. Hitting a few slides and being able to threaten tackle kb reliably makes up for it, imo.
his air tele in Dark Sabbath is just as good.... why would i use the worse version of it?

Professor Oak

Are you a boy or girl?
his air tele in Dark Sabbath is just as good.... why would i use the worse version of it?
I dont have to spend meter to get damage and I get slide which hel
Full screen, doesnt cost bar to get damage, leaves the char outzoning you in decent range.. Have you tried Seeing Double vs Cassie, Skarlet, or at all? Big Combos arent better if you cant open them up or get in. Ghost ball is the real bad trade off, but for specific MUs, esp when you get out zoned and out spaced, what good are those tools? Play style difference maybe, But the Sabbath vars tele isnt that useful in many mus to me. Also, Lol at knowing for sure which variation is better this early. Reminds me of Lao players claiming Lotus Fist was the way to go week 1.