What's new

Noob Q - Why the hate for Street Fighter 5

Hey guys,

I've been a casual in the FG scene for over 10 years... so I am usual aware of current complaints with games etc.

I was just reading a recent post in the Injustice 2 forums, and quite a few people were down on STF5, basically saying 'they die a little everytime they play it'. My question is though... why the hate?

I understand the game had a horrendous launch, with expensive DLC, limited modes and no story mode.... but as time has gone on these issues to some extent have been fixed. However, the fighting system is still solid and I find matches quite engaging.

So is the hate directed to the gameplay mechanics (and if so why), or is the hate still because of Capcom's history and the shoddy launch?

Thanks,

masherofbuttons

I'll mash out of +30 I know no fear
People hate new things.
SFV is by no means a bad game, people just want it to be like the street fighter that came before it. It's a recurring issue, people hated SFIV because it wasn't like SFIII and people hate SFV because it's not like SFIV.
There are a few actually legit points people make tho, for instance:

The game reduced the skill gap compared to previous games. You can't have impressive execution when literally everyone can do the same things you are doing easily.

Defensive options straight up suck. This is preference, if you like your game offensive it might be good but it's a valid argument. I, for one, like defense a lot so it sucks that it's this bad in sfv.

There's a long native input delay to the game, making it feel a bit 'sluggish'. As a result reactions aren't rewarded as much.

...and there's probably more to argue. The game is good but it's very different from the street fighter that came before it and as a result it was a dissappointment for a lot of people.

Undergroundepict

I am like the blue rose
Honestly, I just don't like the way it plays, on an aesthetic or personal preference level.

I will acknowledge that many of my initial objective criticisms of the game have been addressed, and as such many of the complaints I have about it are subjective, and many of those may even be outdated.

I will say that I always respected Street Fighter IV, even though I never liked Street Fighter IV. One of my primary complaints about it was that it was too inaccessible to newcomers.

This was followed up by SFV, where too many concessions were made to the skill ceiling in an attempt to make the game more accessible, which IMO was the wrong way to go about addressing the game's accessibility.Accessibility =\= Skill ceiling. There are ways of addressing the accessibility gap without nerfing the skill ceiling.

So for example, increasing the link window from 1 to 3 frames was a good way to address the accessibility factor of the game without reducing the skill ceiling, while reducing the combo potential/variety to the degree they did was a poor decision which ultimately lowers the overall skill ceiling.

This would be my primary, objective complaint about the game/franchise.

On a subjective level, I just find the game boring as shit to both watch and play.

Jhonnykiller45

Shirai Ryu
Honestly, I just don't like the way it plays, on an aesthetic or personal preference level.

I will acknowledge that many of my initial objective criticisms of the game have been addressed, and as such many of the complaints I have about it are subjective, and many of those may even be outdated.

I will say that I always respected Street Fighter IV, even though I never liked Street Fighter IV. One of my primary complaints about it was that it was too inaccessible to newcomers.

This was followed up by SFV, where too many concessions were made to the skill ceiling in an attempt to make the game more accessible, which IMO was the wrong way to go about addressing the game's accessibility.Accessibility =\= Skill ceiling. There are ways of addressing the accessibility gap without nerfing the skill ceiling.

So for example, increasing the link window from 1 to 3 frames was a good way to address the accessibility factor of the game without reducing the skill ceiling, while reducing the combo potential/variety to the degree they did was a poor decision which ultimately lowers the overall skill ceiling.

This would be my primary, objective complaint about the game/franchise.

On a subjective level, I just find the game boring as shit to both watch and play.
My man here couldn't have said it better.

AZ MotherBrain

If you believe enough, -7 could be +7
My reasons:
The neutral is just doesn’t feel like street fighter.
Damage is way too high
Crush counter lol
Overwhelming and underwhelming v-triggers.
Poor defensive options
Things I like:
The cast
Easier execution, though I wish it was elaborated on
Visually I think the game is really eye appealing.
Chun’s... everything about Chun

portent

Noob
I dropped the game because of Urien frame traps. The game was fun until he was released. Now it sucks and will continue to suck until another game without Urien and his frame traps exist.

HeavyNorse

#BlackLivesMatter
I've been somewhat of a Capcom fanboy. I grew up with their games, Street Figher, Mega Man, Devil May Cry etc. So seeing them these past few years falling from grace and abandoning the franchises I've grown up with one by one has been so disappointing to me.

When they announced SFV, I was so excited! A new game in the series, new graphics, more characters etc... It was going to be great! But HOLY MOTHER GOOSE did they fail their fans immensely with this one. The launch was so incredibly lacking in EVERY way, the aesthetics and character models are incredibly plastic-like with hair and clothes glitching through the models, there was minimal content, the roster was incredibly small and the microtransactions are unreal.

It's been an incredibly disappointing ride, and now 2 years after its release, it is finally looking like a game worthy of its starter price... but to get there we've had to pay triple of its worth, or spend thousands of hours grinding for enough in-game currency to get there. It's just not been worth it.

I've stopped rooting for Capcom. They would have to WOW me big time for me to want them to succeed again. As it is now, I wouldn't care if they just closed down and faded into the past.

I don't hate SFV... The real question is... Why SF players hate other fighting games and other fighting game players?. They are very hesitant to play other fighting games and yet... They demand that everyone plays their favorite game. Why is that?. Look!. I play SFV from time to time. But It doesn't mean That I must automatically hate other fighting games like the usual hardcore SF fan.

Like They invalidated and still invalidate SonicFox achievements 'till this day... Just because He isn't an EVO or Capcom Cup champion and didn't beat Daigo and Tokido. They disregards non SF players like They are nobodies.

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
I don't hate SFV... The real question is... Why SF players hate other fighting games and other fighting game players?. They are very hesitant to play other fighting games and yet... They demand that everyone plays their favorite game. Why is that?. Look!. I play SFV from time to time. But It doesn't mean That I must automatically hate other fighting games like the usual hardcore SF fan.

Like They invalidated and still invalidate SonicFox achievements 'till this day... Just because He isn't an EVO or Capcom Cup champion and didn't beat Daigo and Tokido. They disregards non SF players like They are nobodies.
Thats a very good point. I've notice some SF fanboy shade too. Most of the SF crowd have been quite assholes. Other FGs are just as part of the FGC like the SF franchise.

But to answer the question at hand....This game is just....blah. From start to now. Honestly, the beginning of the shit storm was at the beginning. It was a major hit towards Capcom's credibility to deliver a good fighter. The direction they decided to appeal more to the competitive scene kinda made it less fun. Why not cater to both casual and competitive? Yeah, they have improved with AE, but has the damage already been done? And the fact that they have the audacity to be money grubbing hoes with THIS game was a maaaajor killer for me.

I hate to see when any company takes complete advantage of the consumer like I'm stupid. Capcom has done that with SFV and MVCi.

So in conclusion, its the crowd and the company, basically.

God Confirm

We're all from Earthrealm. If not, cool pic brah.
I do agree about Vega though. Not sure why Capcom felt the need to nerf his ass to the ground like that.
Well he was a low/mid tier who never did shit in tournament, but was then nerfed into a "for fun" character. And then he was nerfed even harder again. So as far as I can tell, Capcom just didn't want the character to ever see play. And they did an excellent job of achieving that. Now I play real fighters. Thanks Capcom!

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
Well he was a low/mid tier who never did shit in tournament, but was then nerfed into a "for fun" character. And then he was nerfed even harder again. So as far as I can tell, Capcom just didn't want the character to ever see play. And they did an excellent job of achieving that. Now I play real fighters. Thanks Capcom!
I never understood why dev do that tho! It urks my fucking nerve! Why place a character in the game, but destroy them to be unplayable? It makes no sense to me. Its a waste of money on both ends...

VSC_Supreme

TYM's #1 L taker.
Street Fighter 5 is a weird anomaly to me, I never played it and nothing has ever called my attention to play it.

Had buddies who bought the game day one and got into platinum rank and dropped the game, and haven't looked back. They never gave me a direct reason for why, just that they didn't like it.

I'd go to locals and would be met with "NRS LUL" and everyone playing Street Fighter 5 but constantly hating on the game and berating it. Anytime i'd ask why they hate it, "Well I like the gameplay but uhhh, the aesthetics are nice but its like.... hard to say"

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
Street Fighter 5 is a weird anomaly to me, I never played it and nothing has ever called my attention to play it.

Had buddies who bought the game day one and got into platinum rank and dropped the game, and haven't looked back. They never gave me a direct reason for why, just that they didn't like it.

I'd go to locals and would be met with "NRS LUL" and everyone playing Street Fighter 5 but constantly hating on the game and berating it. Anytime i'd ask why they hate it, "Well I like the gameplay but uhhh, the aesthetics are nice but its like.... hard to say"
Haters who hate on themselves. Misery loves company ;)