What's new

Nintendo switch version unplayable in its current state.

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
I haven't really seen anyone talk much about this. The game seems to suffer from heavy slowdown in even training mode. I've only played in handheld mode but it's the reason I purchased the game. I haven't even tried the towers with all the other craziness going on.

Has anyone else experienced this? Has NRS acknowledged it? The game was advertised as being 60fps and that seems to be false based on my experience.

I have the same problem. I bought the game to play in my lunch break so in handheld mode. Dependent in the stage the game runs at 30 FPS or so, heavy drops. I cant understand haben how anybody tells that the game runs at 60fps No way

Matix218

Get over here!
I agree, I have noticed slowdown on combos and with certain stages. The game does not hold 60fps consistently on switch. Hopefully they can fix the issues via patch but given no one has addressed the issue from nrs I am thinking this is the best they could do given the switch hardware. It sucks though because we were told it would run at 60fps just like other consoles...

ColdBoreMK23

Noob Saibot
That's sad to hear. I was going to grab it for my switch to practice on the go but if it doesn't run that great then I'm gonna pass on it.

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
I don't even know why they bothered releasing it on Switch, when it clearly can't handle a game like MK11.

Matix218

Get over here!
So is there a way we can elevate this issue to NRS? It is a shame that we were sold a bill of goods with regards to the game holding 60fps. I know some people have friends at NRS, can we reach out to them to just see if they are even aware of the issue? Maybe they are not tracking the issue because the majority of tournament players who care about consistent frame rate are playing on xbone/ps4. If this could be fixed via patch I would be so happy.

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
Damn this is pretty sad. I was planning to get a Switch in the new few months and was planning to get MK11 on it too.

Matix218

Get over here!
The crazy thing is it seems so close to being a good port. The game does generally run at 60fps but with certain stages/characters/and most of all long bnb combos you get a few frame rate drops, but it certainly is enough to be a massive problem for competative players. I really hope this just isn't "as good as it can be" on switch. If we could have a port as good as mk9 vita performance wise I would be happy as a clam. I could care less about graphics sacrifices i just want smooth gameplay. Heck, if it is graphics causing the frame rate issues let it be a menu option to have graphics at max or min. That way people who want graphics over gameplay are happy and competative players can still use it as a handheld practice tool. That's all i want out of it.

Jolt

Uprise
Maybe we can start working on a specific list of Characters/Stages with the issue?

I haven't noticed anything stage specific but I primarily play the Switch version in Practice Mode to lab things. On Jacqui, Sonya, and a little bit of Geras I have not run into these frame rate issues yet?

The only time I've consistently noticed frame rate stutter is Jacqui's "Finish him" screen. Transitioning from that to her Outro is generally a little janky for me

Phr4nk

2021 Ash Main
Most stages seem fine. Koliseum Beast Pen is rough. There's a lot going on in the background and it lags pretty bad. Kotal's Koliseum has the same problem when the creature crawls out of the pit, but not as bad.

portent

Noob
I did some research about the framerate on MK11 and it crashing or experiencing major slowdown.

It has to do with the memory cache on the switch, and more importantly, this fix worked for me.

The recommended fix, at the moment, is to do a full shut down by holding the power button and fully powering down the system. You need to then wait 2 (I waited 5) minutes and then power your system back on. Once the memory cache has been dumped, you should be able to play MK11 with a better framerate and no crashes.

Lastly, don't forget that a game like MK11 is mainly meant to be played docked. You are making a conscious decision to play the system under-powered when you play undocked/unplugged so you should expect lower performance.

Matix218

Get over here!
Koleseum beast pen, the kronika hourglass level, scorpion combos, noob saibot combos, all have particularly bad issues. I have never tried a character or stage that has no slowdown at all in practice mode or vs cpu, just some seem to cause MORE slowdown than others. Sometimes a certain combo will have slowdown and the very next time it wont. It seems to be very inconsistent in that way.

Matix218

Get over here!
I did some research about the framerate on MK11 and it crashing or experiencing major slowdown.

It has to do with the memory cache on the switch, and more importantly, this fix worked for me.

The recommended fix, at the moment, is to do a full shut down by holding the power button and fully powering down the system. You need to then wait 2 (I waited 5) minutes and then power your system back on. Once the memory cache has been dumped, you should be able to play MK11 with a better framerate and no crashes.

Lastly, don't forget that a game like MK11 is mainly meant to be played docked. You are making a conscious decision to play the system under-powered when you play undocked/unplugged so you should expect lower performance.
Does it hold 60fps when docked? I have only tried handheld (since that is why i bought the switch version as i have the ps4 version too). If this is a handheld only issue maybe that is just as good as it can be in handheld mode? Still it would be great if we at least had an option for handheld mode to tone down graphics for improved frame rate

portent

Noob
Does it hold 60fps when docked? I have only tried handheld (since that is why i bought the switch version as i have the ps4 version too). If this is a handheld only issue maybe that is just as good as it can be in handheld mode? Still it would be great if we at least had an option for handheld mode to tone down graphics for improved frame rate
I don't have any way of testing it with equipment because I don't own any, but just by feel alone, when the game is docked, it feels locked at 60fps to me. The only time I've experienced slowdown was when in undocked mode. Once I restarted the system, the framerate went up undocked to the point where I could play arcade towers without worrying if I would drop a combo.

I agree though, that NRS really should offer an "undocked" option that turns off effects like shadows and such that will allow the system to maintain 60fps undocked.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
I haven't had many issues honestly, but I'm sure they'll be able to patch it. Unfortunately the Switch and PC versions were done by other teams and not the main NRS team so they're bound to have some issues.

portent

Noob
I haven't had many issues honestly, but I'm sure they'll be able to patch it. Unfortunately the Switch and PC versions were done by other teams and not the main NRS team so they're bound to have some issues.
The switch version was "supposedly" co-developed by NRS and an outside source. I'm surprised that the switch version shipped the way it did instead of being delayed a month or 2. It would have greatly benefited from additional dev time.

Matix218

Get over here!
Just out of curiosity are you playing docked or handheld?

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
The switch version was "supposedly" co-developed by NRS and an outside source. I'm surprised that the switch version shipped the way it did instead of being delayed a month or 2. It would have greatly benefited from additional dev time.
I remember derek said on the saxo d to or last kombat kast before the game hit that that another studio handled the game that had nothing to do with their team. Who knowns how wb runs these things though

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Why does it being docked change anything? The dock doesn’t add anything afaik.

Matix218

Get over here!
Why does it being docked change anything? The dock doesn’t add anything afaik.
Probably has to do with the graphics downscaling based on the handheld screen's limitations vs when it is hd via the hdmi out on the dock? I dont know really lol

sars

Noob
It’s alright for practicing. I don’t like practice combos but if I see something I need to work on and I can’t be at my PS4 it does it’s job. That’s the reason I bought it though. I think it runs better undocked though

Matix218

Get over here!
It’s alright for practicing. I don’t like practice combos but if I see something I need to work on and I can’t be at my PS4 it does it’s job. That’s the reason I bought it though. I think it runs better undocked though
Runs better docked or undocked? If it runs worse docked than it does in handheld that is not good because I have experienced the slowdown in handheld and it is not good...