What's new

Are you excited about the new Nintendo "Switch" coming out?

• I pretty much buy anything Nintendo related that hits

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
I figured there'd be a topic on it since I've seen so many Pokemon, Smash, Nintendo topics on here before but to my surprise didn't see anything. Are you pumped for the Nintendo Switch coming out? Formally known as the Nintendo NX now the Nintendo Switch. (hey still a better name than the wii)

Ok, well for those of you who follow gaming and/or Nintendo, here's their reveal trailer. What are your thoughts? Do you like portable gaming? Think it'll be much better than the Wii U? From what I understand it already has the support of Activision, Bethesda, Ubisoft, Square Enix, WB, EA etc and a few others which is already a very good sign. I won't lie, when I saw WB on there I said to myself hmm Injustice 2 on the go? The portable screen/control is said to have 720 resolution, not bad at all. The system takes cartridges again, oldschool.

For those who haven't seen the trailer yet here it is:

portent

Noob
The switch is a potential goldmine. If the system is, on a technical level, the same as the PS4 and XB1, which is unlikely given that it's built using mobile architecture and technology (odds are that it will be somewhere between the WiiU and PS4/XB1, but only time will tell).

Nintendo has always been it's own entity, always lived in it's own "NintendoLand" where it didn't give a crap about what Sony and Microsoft were doing. It didn't try to compete, but it's last 2 systems (WiiU and 3DS) have essentially been flops. That's not to say they're bad systems, but the WiiU was an unneccesary upgrade to a dying system, and people have completely gotten over the motion control novelty of the WiiU and want their standard controller back, which is why the Switch has controllers, not WiiMotes.

The stage is pretty much set for Nintendo to bring relevant, mainstream games to come to the system and not have the system exist solely for Smash, Metroid, Zelda, Pokemon and Mario games. What is more enticing is that it would mean not having to have a console and portable version of the same game, and likewise, to not have to use a Vita to remote play games through a live video feed.

If Nintendo is smart, they will make the system backward compatible with N-Store games from NES through Wii/WiiU games, re-master motion control only games like Metroid Prime 3 and Skyward Sword with standard control schemes, and then bring on the mainstream games, the exclusives and update the online community to be on par with Sony and MS and you have a goldmine.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
It it's not on the same technical level as the PS4 and XB1 it will flop. Third party support is a necessity for any system to succeed.

I'd like to be proven wrong, but I don't see mass audiences buying it without your CODs, Assassin's Creeds, Battlefields, hell your Mortal Kombats even.

portent

Noob
It it's not on the same technical level as the PS4 and XB1 it will flop. Third party support is a necessity for any system to succeed.

I'd like to be proven wrong, but I don't see mass audiences buying it without your CODs, Assassin's Creeds, Battlefields, hell your Mortal Kombats even.
I agree. While it may not have to be exactly capable of the same graphic feats as the PS4 and XB1, it would be nice, for a change, to have a Nintendo system that does compete with the other consoles. Until N has a comparable console, mainstream games won't really be a thing on the switch. If it is comparable, then it's a phenomenal idea and they need to harness that gold mine.

MKF30

Good news is according to close sources who've played the thing they've said it's at least Xbox One level+ perhaps little better as far as power running on nvidia chip. The sources online that have said this were the same ones who said it's cartridge based, will be portable and home console etc so I trust them. People in the gaming industry/developers etc. Nintendo is supposed to reveal more info I believe in January some time.

@portent Agree on most stuff except the 3DS being a flop, that's hardly the case it literally destroyed the PSP and Vita, which were flops. The 3DS set records....it was anything but a flop.

Last edited:

Plymarco

Worst Kitana ever?
Im definitely excited fot the Nintendo Switch. But im concerned about the third party support. No matter how good your system is, games make the system. If they have that it'll probably be a day 1 purchase for me

MKF30

Im definitely excited fot the Nintendo Switch. But im concerned about the third party support. No matter how good your system is, games make the system. If they have that it'll probably be a day 1 purchase for me
Something tells me that won't be a problem lol.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2016/10/20/heres-the-full-list-of-developers-and-publishers-supporting-the-nintendo-switch/#5b8e64f72193

I think that's more than both wii's combined 3rd party support lol.

villainous monk

Terrible times breed terrible things, my lord.
I'm not too excited about this to tell the truth.

Nintendo had a chance to be still viable but mainstream enough to be more then unique. Relevant more in this century more to all gamers then 21 and younger.

Don't get me wrong. I love Nintendo and that era of gaming was the brightest and best era of all time but that era was for everyone.

Now Nintendo switch is just another updated version of the Wii.

You can filp it and change it and call it whatever but if they don't go back to its roots in not only having the same old classics rehashed and copied n pasted over and over again then what's the point of the switch?

Who cares about the controller or how it's played.

The games. The content. The 3rd party and game developers support. And basically just making sure releases are not only for kids but for the grown adults who played these systems since atari.

It'll take alot to Nintendo Switch me back.

But my kids already want one:rolleyes:

MKF30

I'm not too excited about this to tell the truth.

Nintendo had a chance to be still viable but mainstream enough to be more then unique. Relevant more in this century more to all gamers then 21 and younger.

Don't get me wrong. I love Nintendo and that era of gaming was the brightest and best era of all time but that era was for everyone.

Now Nintendo switch is just another updated version of the Wii.

You can filp it and change it and call it whatever but if they don't go back to its roots in not only having the same old classics rehashed and copied n pasted over and over again then what's the point of the switch?

Who cares about the controller or how it's played.

The games. The content. The 3rd party and game developers support. And basically just making sure releases are not only for kids but for the grown adults who played these systems since atari.

It'll take alot to Nintendo Switch me back.

But my kids already want one:rolleyes:
Interesting post though I do disagree with the updated wii, this is actually nothing like the wii u and already has wayyyy more 3rd party support (check out that list I posted) than either wii lol , however with the exception of a tablet but with WAY more options, way more powerful and the first console to literally switch from home console to portable on the go which is pretty original and innovative but then that's Nintendo, so not surprising. I bet you Sony and M$ will follow in the future with something similar, calling it now lol. This thing is a bigger change from the wii u than the PS4 pro an Xbox Scorpio from the one and Ps4 regular honestly, because we're getting a lot more options, games etc

This also seems to have no motion controls so right off the bat and is not backwards compatible, that's a big difference from the wii's. Back to cartridges too but that's a good thing now since they can actually hold more than a disc now days. The Switch gives the player a few controller options which is a good thing both on the go and at home. I liked the fact that the trailer also had all adults so I think they're moving away from the "hey kids can play this too without problems" theme and back to basics.

Your kids have good instincts lol. I did not get a Wii U but played a ton of it at my friends place, but Switch I'll be there day one.

portent

Noob
Good news is according to close sources who've played the thing they've said it's at least Xbox One level+ perhaps little better as far as power running on nvidia chip. The sources online that have said this were the same ones who said it's cartridge based, will be portable and home console etc so I trust them. People in the gaming industry/developers etc. Nintendo is supposed to reveal more info I believe in January some time.

@portent Agree on most stuff except the 3DS being a flop, that's hardly the case it literally destroyed the PSP and Vita, which were flops. The 3DS set records....it was anything but a flop.
I wasn't talking about anything other than Nintendo systems, and handhelds in particular. Wikipedia may not be perfect, but according to the numbers, the 3DS is far from a record setting system. It's their worst selling handheld by about 20 million units. By N standards, that's a flop.

But all things said, the 3DS is still a good system and I enjoy what games I have for it. The Vita, well I have one, but I use it for dust collecting.

villainous monk

Terrible times breed terrible things, my lord.
Interesting post though I do disagree with the updated wii, this is actually nothing like the wii u and already has wayyyy more 3rd party support (check out that list I posted) than either wii lol , however with the exception of a tablet but with WAY more options, way more powerful and the first console to literally switch from home console to portable on the go which is pretty original and innovative but then that's Nintendo, so not surprising. I bet you Sony and M$ will follow in the future with something similar, calling it now lol. This thing is a bigger change from the wii u than the PS4 pro an Xbox Scorpio from the one and Ps4 regular honestly, because we're getting a lot more options, games etc

This also seems to have no motion controls so right off the bat and is not backwards compatible, that's a big difference from the wii's. Back to cartridges too but that's a good thing now since they can actually hold more than a disc now days. The Switch gives the player a few controller options which is a good thing both on the go and at home. I liked the fact that the trailer also had all adults so I think they're moving away from the "hey kids can play this too without problems" theme and back to basics.

Your kids have good instincts lol. I did not get a Wii U but played a ton of it at my friends place, but Switch I'll be there day one.
Wow... Ok. Honestly didn't expect such an answer which I'm so glad to have. Thank you. Your on point friend.

Wel... Ok. I agree with most of what you said. I seem to be developing my old man ways when I'm thinking from times long ago.

Your right about the third party support though. If they release the same games across all 4 platforms (pc included) it would be great to see Nintendo start to rise in comparison and compition too. I do remember correctly Nintendo started the trend of exclusive titles when games were multi-platform so if they could score the same deals as yesteryears then yeah bring the switch on.

Having it be like a snes/Gameboy/tablet gaming console is... New... Innovative yes. For sure. But I feel Nintendo has already done this in a way with pokemon go. It's not a console game but it's got the signatures of Nintendo on it buy it being given hand held (Phone, tablet) but able to appeal to all ages and culture and most importantly genders. I see your point on Sony & Microsoft going into that direction eventually because that's where as well as what get people talking. Look at PS VR. Oculus which I still say is the improved version of 3d glasses and a pictogram but WAAAAAYYYYY Cooolllerr. Yes I call your hand and raise by 100. Nintendo is thinking ahead. At least in that department.

As for more mature people in the trailer playing Zelda and Mario... Give me all the streetfighter series. Castlevania. Super Metroid. All the Mega Man games and Donkey Kong games with Earthworm Jim as well as Doom and I'm Sold.

I'll buy you one.;)

MKF30

I wasn't talking about anything other than Nintendo systems, and handhelds in particular. Wikipedia may not be perfect, but according to the numbers, the 3DS is far from a record setting system. It's their worst selling handheld by about 20 million units. By N standards, that's a flop.

But all things said, the 3DS is still a good system and I enjoy what games I have for it. The Vita, well I have one, but I use it for dust collecting.
Here's what I'm referring to, regarding records...http://www.gamespot.com/articles/3ds-sets-sales-record-in-us-no-widespread-issues-with-portable/1100-6306261/

upload a gif

The 3DS literally set some records and well to say it curbstomped the Vita would be an understatement....

Not saying it's world shattering but this shouldn't come to a surprise given Nintendo's great track record in the portable market.

I would not say that's a flop by any means. I had a Vita, played one game literally MK 9 lol.

Wow... Ok. Honestly didn't expect such an answer which I'm so glad to have. Thank you. Your on point friend.

Wel... Ok. I agree with most of what you said. I seem to be developing my old man ways when I'm thinking from times long ago.

Your right about the third party support though. If they release the same games across all 4 platforms (pc included) it would be great to see Nintendo start to rise in comparison and compition too. I do remember correctly Nintendo started the trend of exclusive titles when games were multi-platform so if they could score the same deals as yesteryears then yeah bring the switch on.

Having it be like a snes/Gameboy/tablet gaming console is... New... Innovative yes. For sure. But I feel Nintendo has already done this in a way with pokemon go. It's not a console game but it's got the signatures of Nintendo on it buy it being given hand held (Phone, tablet) but able to appeal to all ages and culture and most importantly genders. I see your point on Sony & Microsoft going into that direction eventually because that's where as well as what get people talking. Look at PS VR. Oculus which I still say is the improved version of 3d glasses and a pictogram but WAAAAAYYYYY Cooolllerr. Yes I call your hand and raise by 100. Nintendo is thinking ahead. At least in that department.

As for more mature people in the trailer playing Zelda and Mario... Give me all the streetfighter series. Castlevania. Super Metroid. All the Mega Man games and Donkey Kong games with Earthworm Jim as well as Doom and I'm Sold.

I'll buy you one.;)
Hello there, sorry for the late reply but apparently I tried logging in few weeks back and noticed a ridiculous ban on my account for something incredibly dumb but I won't even get into that here....I just wanted to give you the respect of replying and that I didn't ignore your post which I appreciate btw.

Thank you, appreciate that. Yeah I hear ya, Nintendo knows how to market right when they want to I've noticed. The fact that now I'm hearing the portable screen will be minimum of 720 HD but probably around 1080 is ridiculous, if they can pull that off for a normal console/portable hybrid that would be insane, that would also make me afraid to take it anywhere lol. Yeah, the 3DS element was cool too but glad they fixed the tracking eye issue with the latest model, my friend has one I have few other older 3DS's tested it out I must say they did a good job with that(though I tend to turn the 3D off on some games) but I love that option. Yeah the 3D is in now but to some a gimmick in general which I can understand, 3D IMAX films don't exactly make me excited in fact I had a headache after seeing 3D Winter Soldier way back so when I went to see BVS I said "no, no I'm not seeing 3D lol" I hear ya dude, I just want to see MK4 on a Nintendo console with the way the buttons are maped, the 3DS would have been awesome for it since the original DS had UMK3 which was awesome. Hopefully we'll see a repolished version or MKT even on the Switch. That would be pretty cool or of course maybe MK X? MK 11 and Injustice 2? Who knows.:)

Noob
I can't wait for this.

Regardless of how powerful it is or isn't. The games will be amazing. And even on lower powered systems they will look fantastic. We are at the point that ugly games are only made when dev's make ugly games. 3rd party support will be great. And if it wasn't I have a PS4 and an XB1 that has all the support I would want.

The rumors of getting the Gamecube VC is rad too, there are so many old games I loved and would love to play again. And waiting for HD remakes doesn't always pan out.

We have seen some decent looking games on it all ready anyway. And the list of dev companies working on games. The big thing is that it runs unity. So that effectively means a massive flood of games all the time. Granted a lot of the Unity devs are shit and I am not a fan of "indie' titles. But it realy opens the system up. And on top of everything Nintendo is putting a big focus on competitive play for the first time and E-Sports. So I am excited about what that will bring.

I won't be using it as a portable. I have a DS and PSP for that. And seldom even have time to play anything on them.

Too pumped for this. Nintendo is on track to fix the real fuck ups they made with the Wii and the U. And I honestly could not be more grateful that the motion controls are gone. Thank you Nintendo. Plus the estimated price point is extremely pleasing.