What's new

Nightwolf Tech Thread

Kind cows

Kano main. Still a scrub
So new to nightwolf. Labbing ancestral gift I can't find a thing that confirms into the cmd grab on the ground it's all dependant on launchers. Am I just bad at timing or

hatyr

tease out the impurities
So new to nightwolf. Labbing ancestral gift I can't find a thing that confirms into the cmd grab on the ground it's all dependant on launchers. Am I just bad at timing or
You cannot grab someone that's in hit stun or block stun. You can do a raw command grab, tick throw (works since the block stun is gone by the time the grab activates), or grab someone that's airborne but you're not going to be able to end a grounded combo with it.

Kind cows

Kano main. Still a scrub
You cannot grab someone that's in hit stun or block stun. You can do a raw command grab, tick throw (works since the block stun is gone by the time the grab activates), or grab someone that's airborne but you're not going to be able to end a grounded combo with it.
Reading this I realized I've had the ai drop out of kanos f2. Meaning kanos requires the same thing? But barakas doesn't? So it's just dependant on the cmd grab and the character

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
Not really Tek but I find its better to delay CMD Grab's instead of ticking. Its way out of your favor to tick because of the high risk low reward on them.
CMD Grab gives you 13% without bar and only 15% with a bar while you lose more than double that if they make the read.
But you can guarantee a throw if you delay it and works on hit/block if timed correctly.
So an untechable throw that does 15% and leaves you +70 to do what you want and remove their WU options.

But his Stagger game is mad strong in Ancestral Gift having S3 xx B341+3(20%) and 312 KB 35% and even having CMD Grab on any hit 3rd hit on both options is a 50/50. If you know how to wavedash I think AG is just as strong as Matoka Warrior is but there is legit reasons to pick both variations.

Need:
Anti WU U+3
Corner carry
40% mid and 70% corner
Meterless Launcher in corner
Damage Buff

Choose Matoka Warrior!

Need:
CMD Grabs
+70 oki
2 additional KB's for punishes
Swaggy Brutal
Option to punish Teleports for full combo
Teleport with reflect
More mixup options
New strings

Choose Ancestral Gift!

I am having fun with Matoka Warrior yet I started feeling the flow with him.
A little bit Catwoman feeling but I know it's different... But still... :D (that agility, staggers, mids, throw game, oki, projectile parry)

I did not try Ancestral Gift though I always liked command grab characters - but simply the input killed me every time I picked a CG char (except Sun God).

I will probably check him too later as I am really interested in.

What is the Anti WU U3 for Matoka Warrior? The amplified buff ender?

Btw I found Nightwolf's wake up and flawless block counter options pretty bad in certain situations.
He can not even punish Shao Kahn's F34 gap with either of them (U2, U3). But the match up is still good for NW so I do not complain just figured recently. :D

Kind cows

Kano main. Still a scrub
I don't know what I'm doing wrong but I cannot get the ticks on s1 11 and s2 to land. The grab comes out but doesn't connect

kcd117

Noob
Not really Tek but I find its better to delay CMD Grab's instead of ticking. Its way out of your favor to tick because of the high risk low reward on them.
CMD Grab gives you 13% without bar and only 15% with a bar while you lose more than double that if they make the read.
But you can guarantee a throw if you delay it and works on hit/block if timed correctly.
So an untechable throw that does 15% and leaves you +70 to do what you want and remove their WU options.

But his Stagger game is mad strong in Ancestral Gift having S3 xx B341+3(20%) and 312 KB 35% and even having CMD Grab on any hit 3rd hit on both options is a 50/50. If you know how to wavedash I think AG is just as strong as Matoka Warrior is but there is legit reasons to pick both variations.

Need:
Anti WU U+3
Corner carry
40% mid and 70% corner
Meterless Launcher in corner
Damage Buff

Choose Matoka Warrior!

Need:
CMD Grabs
+70 oki
2 additional KB's for punishes
Swaggy Brutal
Option to punish Teleports for full combo
Teleport with reflect
More mixup options
New strings

Choose Ancestral Gift!
I like to think that the cmd grab costs half a bar bc the +70 kd gives a lot of time for your meter to rebuild lol. If you time ir right you can do a crossup jump into F2 that beats everything that is not a fatal blow bc it gives the opponent only 5 frames to do something.

This character is ridiculously good. Aside from like 3 matchups I think he can apply his game against everyone!

The thing the hurts him the most is his lack of good anti airs...
I feel like him, baraka and noob share similar strenghts in their designs but the fact that it is basically impossible to jump on the other two and nightwolf is free to crossups and close jump ins makes a huge difference.