What's new

Nightwolf Tech Thread

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
So for some reason boulder doesn't reflect back at close range???
Same thing as beam it only reflects amped hit if you are out of range of first one. The boulder only reflects if you are at bounce range. Geyser second hit can't be blocked or jumped but earthquake first hit gets sent back.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
Yeah, it seems so, at close distance you absorb the damage but don't reflect the projectile. I suspect it is made this way in order to solve a difficult animation problem due to the size of the projectile.
Or because it wasn't thoroughly tested...

Apparently Nighwolf can't reflect Shang Tsung's straight projectile in spellmaster and I also heard he can't reflect certain Thin Ice projectiles. (haven't seen the sub one in action, but Shujinkydink made a video about the Shang one)

CriticalDrop

Beers, grabs & dropped combos
Or because it wasn't thoroughly tested...

Apparently Nighwolf can't reflect Shang Tsung's straight projectile in spellmaster and I also heard he can't reflect certain Thin Ice projectiles. (haven't seen the sub one in action, but Shujinkydink made a video about the Shang one)
Rooflemonger also made a very complete one testing it against all the projectiles:

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
He didn't test all of Erron Blacks strings with gunshots in them or cassie's strings with gunshots in them. Wonder how they react? Surely they reflect?
Also didn't test Cassie's flip over thing, which, I feel like could have a hilarious reaction.

lionheart21

Its Game Over, Man
He didn't test all of Erron Blacks strings with gunshots in them or cassie's strings with gunshots in them. Wonder how they react? Surely they reflect?
Also didn't test Cassie's flip over thing, which, I feel like could have a hilarious reaction.
I think he didn't test Cassie's Flippin Out due to the fact that nobody should be using that move in the first place.

CriticalDrop

Ask and it shall be given to you. Well, not everything, but at least some testing against Cassie's strings and flippin'out:
It reflects the first gunshot of Cassie's 2112, but not the second. If you are close enough, the second doesn't have enough time to come out, so you don't receive any hit and can start your counter.
It reflects the gunshot of F412.
It reflects the bullet against flipping out. Depending on Nighwolf's positioning, it can hit Cassie or not.

BONUS: Hilarious outcome against Kano's F12 string:

Anyone knows what Moonfall does and how it works?
Lets you plant your axe at one of 3 distances and call it back to your hand by pressing up+2. It only has a hitbox when returning, but it pops them up for meterless combo extensions, for example:
  • f2~df2f (-2 setup), ji2, f2121~u2, 111~dbf3 is 32% meterless mid screen with it becoming 34% and absurd oki for 1 bar (or 40% for 1 bar with wolf!)
  • b13~df2f (-8 setup with pushback)

Also having the axe deployed is enough to make people start to panic and open themselves up because they don't want to get hit by it. So far the most common response has been manic jumping since the axe will whiff, but a lot of the time you don't have to actually call it back to get a good response from the opponent.
-4 on block when catching it up close to your opponent. The only thing to be aware of is you lose b1 and f1 strings and shoulder amp while the axe is deployed, but can still use f2, Spirit Tracks, b2, d2 (fist), j2 (hand chop), and Razor's Edge (leg hit grab).

I never played the characters who had similar mechanics to this (Takeda, Robin) but I'm very much enjoying this move right now.

Last edited:

SHAOLIN

内部冲突
Just a info dump, not necessarily tech.

Spirit Arrow
Doing any string into SA AMP on hit gives different hit advantage ranging from 11 frames to 8 frames midscreen; in the corner it is always 7 frames of hit advantage.

As it stands right now 22xxSA AMP guarantees midscreen pressure with either B13 or F12. Any attempt of pressing a button will achieve a counter hit or if you jump, B1 or F1 will clip you, so block.

Stagger Strings
As of right now the threshold for full combo punish is -9(?), so these strings are relatively safe (imo) that allows throw/strike mindgames as well as stealing your turn back with a Flawless Block punish (if meter is available).

111/112 (-6/+1)
B132 (-3)
F12 (-7)
222 (-6)
312 (-2)
B34D4 (-7)
F214 (-6) *

Side note : I put an asterisk on F214 because it is somewhat controversial to me. Technically you can't stagger the string because F2 is -19 and F21 is -9 (Full Combo Punish), but F214 is -6 meaning it gives purpose to potentially Flawless Block someone's attempt to start their own pressure when you ended yours.

Take what you want from that...

EDIT: AMP Spirit Arrow to get the frame adv that is spoken about above, sorry for the misunderstand if any.

Last edited:

MadeFromMetal

Heart From Iron, Mind From Steel.
He also can side switch with it after his Command Grab amplify, but I think any time you have that kind of frame advantage then you probably could just dash up and oki. The side switch is significant though, he could definitely make reads on wakeups and whatnot and it's just another thing to stress the opponent with
After command grab you can just dash and jump over and still be plus to get Oki. No need to spend the meter.

MadeFromMetal

I'm going to be a real poindexter and give myself props by saying I mentioned that +70 crossup pressure in the gen discussion

Meaty with a B1 even, good shit!
That crossup pressure is good shit. There's so much to do when +70. So many options.

Dash cancelled to jump for the cross over into pressure.
Dash (full animation) 312 (the 2 hits meaty)
Dash (cancel animation) 31 (stagger) d3 (the d3 hits meaty)
Dash (full animation) bf4mb (the mb overhead hits meaty)
Neutral Jump (Frame Kill) F2 (hits meaty)
Dash, Backdash, F2 (hits meaty)
Dash, Backdash, dash Throw or d3 or 111.
Dash Dash Dash (same options as above.)
4-6 frame delay, Dash, njp or njk (meaty)

The mind game is endless.

CriticalDrop

That crossup pressure is good shit. There's so much to do when +70. So many options.

Dash cancelled to jump for the cross over into pressure.
Dash (full animation) 312 (the 2 hits meaty)
Dash (cancel animation) 31 (stagger) d3 (the d3 hits meaty)
Dash (full animation) bf4mb (the mb overhead hits meaty)
Neutral Jump (Frame Kill) F2 (hits meaty)
Dash, Backdash, F2 (hits meaty)
Dash, Backdash, dash Throw or d3 or 111.
Dash Dash Dash (same options as above.)
4-6 frame delay, Dash, njp or njk (meaty)

The mind game is endless.
Yeah, and when the opponent is conditioned to block on wake up you can start your pressure with F2121 mixups (F2121xxDB3, F2121xxbf1, regular string, F21 pseudo stagger, F214, etc). In addition, it is very easy to hit confirm the string, in order to avoid the command grab cancel if the first hit connects.
I've tested it in casual matches and seems to work wonderfully so far.
However, if he is not conditioned, i feel that timing correctly the meaty with F2 string is a bit tricky and can be risky if the opponent has defensive bars, but I have to test it more.

MadeFromMetal

AMP command grab gives him an empty jump-in into AMP teleport and if they wake up it comes out the wrong direction. An resource-intensive l-o-l.
Could be useful in a close, down the wire match where they just want to kill you with an u3. You do that into 111 fatal blow to take the round.
It would be a helluva read.

Last edited:

hatyr

ball roll enjoyer.
Could be useful in a close, down the wire match where they just want to kill you with an u3. You do that into 111 fatal blow to take the round.
It would be a helluva read.
I haven't gotten it plus enough that you can punish them in whiff recovery (have a similar setup with Skarlet and she can punish), but if they're gonna block then you have that juicy command grab. But, yea, just a little trick up the sleeve to be sparingly snuck in there somewhere.

MadeFromMetal

I haven't gotten it plus enough that you can punish them in whiff recovery (have a similar setup with Skarlet and she can punish), but if they're gonna block then you have that juicy command grab. But, yea, just a little trick up the sleeve to be sparingly snuck in there somewhere.
How plus have you gotten it? Enough to guarantee a d1?

hatyr

ball roll enjoyer.
How plus have you gotten it? Enough to guarantee a d1?
I only experimented with it until I could get the wake-up coming out the wrong direction; tried a little bit more to get a whiff punish but couldn't quite get it. You're plus enough for a fast button that'll hit if they mash but they can block. Blocking still dangerous against this guy because of this throw game plus the command grab in this variation.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Cool reset combo. Does 591 dmg total if you can manage to pull it off

Gonna be testing this tech to see if they can do anything about the buff with this setup, other than just blocking. Also keep in mind, for this setup specifically where you armor through the wakeup attack, the timing to combo punish it is pretty strict. If done too late they can just block it after they do the wakeup attack.

LawAbidingCitizen

Gonna be testing this tech to see if they can do anything about the buff with this setup, other than just blocking. Also keep in mind, for this setup specifically where you armor through the wakeup attack, the timing to combo punish it is pretty strict. If done too late they can just block it after they do the wakeup attack.
Does this remove their ability to WU 111(7f starter)? Is it timed specifically where they can only block or WU U+3?

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Does this remove their ability to WU 111(7f starter)? Is it timed specifically where they can only block or WU U+3?
They can wakeup 1 but you can amp buff then block it. Not the best setup but it’s something. Nightwolf has such horrible framedata that been trying to find good setups and strats otherwise he is not worth using unfortunately.

LawAbidingCitizen

They can wakeup 1 but you can amp buff then block it. Not the best setup but it’s something. Nightwolf has such horrible framedata that been trying to find good setups and strats otherwise he is not worth using unfortunately.
I guess its best to only combo if you see the flash otherwise I think its good to backfash to safety if possible and punish U3/U2/Froll maybe there is a timing like an OS to input someone for multiple options with the armor?

I feel like he is honest but good. Getting more than 60% in corner with FB I think 73% is possible.. About 45% with D2 KB he does hurt a lot. And he has good oki I'm sure his F12 can be used to beat several wakeup by dash canceling out if U3 range.