What's new

Match-up Discussion Nightwolf Match Up Chart

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
So Big D, I made some small changes. Namely Sonya, kabal and freddy. A few other changes but give feedback and I can change back or what ever. I want this to be accurate so I'll be tagging people for this.

Scorp 5-5
Luis kang 5-5
Kung Lao 5-5
Sub zero 4-6
Sindel 6-4
Ermac 6-4
Reptile 5-5
Kitana 4-6
Cage 4-6
Jade 6-4
Mileena 4-6
Cyrax 5-5
Cyblax 4-6
Noob 6-4
Smoke 5-5
Sektor 4-6
Sonya 3-7
Jax 4-6
Kano 6-4
Stryker 5-5
Shang 5-5
Baraka 5-5
Kabal 3-7
Raiden 5-5
Freddy 3-7
Rain 5-5
Kenshi 4-6
Skarlet 4-6
Csub 5-5
Sheeva 6-4
Quan chi 5-5

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
I personally feel Cage beats NW 6-4 and that Nightwolf goes even with Sub and Sektor.
I think the match is so slow that the entire thing is footsies. Cage is dash blocking the entire time making lightning VERY effective in this MU. That is the only reason it's not in cages favor IMO.

I used to think nw sub was nw favor but sub really does push nw to the corner making the match almost impossible. Mid screen its 6-4 nw but corner it's 8-2 for sub. So I think its fair giving sub a 6-4.

Sektor can punish shoulder hard(so can everybody), he can ia tele all lightnings and arrows on reaction. And his footsies are better. I don't see how nw beats him. He doesn't need rockets except for up missile to bait reflect.

NKZero

Noob
I think the match is so slow that the entire thing is footsies. Cage is dash blocking the entire time making lightning VERY effective in this MU. That is the only reason it's not in cages favor IMO.

I used to think nw sub was nw favor but sub really does push nw to the corner making the match almost impossible. Mid screen its 6-4 nw but corner it's 8-2 for sub. So I think its fair giving sub a 6-4.

Sektor can punish shoulder hard(so can everybody), he can ia tele all lightnings and arrows on reaction. And his footsies are better. I don't see how nw beats him. He doesn't need rockets except for up missile to bait reflect.
I just think once Cage is in, game over. What can Nightwolf do?

Nightwolf still has options out of the corner. Defending off jump-in from Sub using EX choke or EX shoulder when the opportunity arises. He has it better off than others. Plus as you said he wins mid-screen so I still maintain it is 5-5.

As for Sektor yes you actually convince me otherwise. Probably 4-6 in Sektor's favour. I forgot he punishes whiffed shoulder harder than anyone. Plus his footsies are better.

I used to think nw sub was nw favor but sub really does push nw to the corner making the match almost impossible. Mid screen its 6-4 nw but corner it's 8-2 for sub. So I think its fair giving sub .
All the sub thread guys tell me to never do it but have you tried dash blocking the ice clone? It's easier with NW bigger hit box. It puts you at -15 but if sub is so much as a ass hair away your fine. I knOw there Are reasons not to do it but hey it's MK gotta take risks.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
I just think once Cage is in, game over. What can Nightwolf do?

Nightwolf still has options out of the corner. Defending off jump-in from Sub using EX choke or EX shoulder when the opportunity arises. He has it better off than others. Plus as you said he wins mid-screen so I still maintain it is 5-5.

As for Sektor yes you actually convince me otherwise. Probably 4-6 in Sektor's favour. I forgot he punishes whiffed shoulder harder than anyone. Plus his footsies are better.
Problem with sub is its just hard to keep him mid screen when you cant shoulder him. Ice clone is OP! Lol. You just end up in the corner anyways. But I think 4 out of 10 matches nw can do that but that also means 6 of 10 times sub corners nw. Tom Brady cyusstrike @djmit. Thoughts?

For cage nw gets him off fairly easy and safely. Not saying cage doesn't do damage while he is there but you would be surprised how well ex shoulder and ex choke work. Ex shoulder is best. And by the time he gets in he should be at half life so by getting him off once you can win that round. @afoxygrampa thoughts

NKZero

Noob
Problem with sub is its just hard to keep him mid screen when you cant shoulder him. Ice clone is OP! Lol. You just end up in the corner anyways. But I think 4 out of 10 matches nw can do that but that also means 6 of 10 times sub corners nw. Tom Brady cyusstrike @djmit. Thoughts?

For cage nw gets him off fairly easy and safely. Not saying cage doesn't do damage while he is there but you would be surprised how well ex shoulder and ex choke work. Ex shoulder is best. And by the time he gets in he should be at half life so by getting him off once you can win that round. @afoxygrampa thoughts
A F0xy Grampa can you read LOTF's above post he tried to tag you.

Anyways I always EX shoulder the clone on reaction. Just lame out the life lead. I dunno though, we can hear from others I guess. I really don't see Sub winning this.

KH_Captain

Nightwolf wannabe
I always figured sub and sindel as 5-5's and Cage and smoke 4-6. Smoke basically takes away his arrow and reflect i figured that alone would make it 4-6

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
New Quan player here, I would love to hear the explanation as to why Quan is a 6-4 in NW's favor.
Only footsie based. Nw close game is more effective and all nw needs to look out for is trance and I think it's f1 into rune trap. His skull projectile doesn't cut the mustard against reflect.

Nw can out footsie/turtle him IMO.

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
I dont see Ex choke or shoulder as that much of a threat since theyre both punished the same way, which makes the guessing game in Cages favour, even if NW hits it, it doesnt matter because its a small amount of damage that Cage can make up by landing 1 blocktring against stand block.

Knocking Cage away isnt that bad aswell since I reckon Cages footsies are better too.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
I always figured sub and sindel as 5-5's and Cage and smoke 4-6
Nw gets in easily on sindel due to reflect and shoulder. Once he is in she is in trouble @mr mileena

Smoke I always thought as his favor too but I beat Atl redds smoke every time with nw and big d beat cdjr smoke at final round so I can't theory fight this one. Nw has shoulder to make smoke bombs less of a threat and no armor for smoke make it hard for him to get out of pressure.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
I dont see Ex choke or shoulder as that much of a threat since theyre both punished the same way, which makes the guessing game in Cages favour, even if NW hits it, it doesnt matter because its a small amount of damage that Cage can make up by landing 1 blocktring against stand block.

Knocking Cage away isnt that bad aswell since I reckon Cages footsies are better too.
I think your footsies are better than cages. Lol. In general I think it's not the damage nw wants off ex shoulder but the space. Keeping you outside and at jump distance is best for shoulder, lightning, and string mixups. If nw keeps you there he wins but half the time cage gets in. Nw tools can keep him out for a while though.

KH_Captain

Nightwolf wannabe
Nw gets in easily on sindel due to reflect and shoulder. Once he is in she is in trouble @mr mileena

Smoke I always thought as his favor too but I beat Atl redds smoke every time with nw and big d beat cdjr smoke at final round so I can't theory fight this one. Nw has shoulder to make smoke bombs less of a threat and no armor for smoke make it hard for him to get out of pressure.
Cool i can totally see the sub and sindel being right but cage i still think wins, and it's weird that NW beats smoke cuz on paper it looks like smoke would win lol. If cage does a down poke when you try armor move NW will miss and that's bad for NW. cages hoizontal movement is so good it really takes some godlike zoning to keep him out. I can do it with Sindel but it takes most of the round to win and if or when Cage gets in on her he wins quickly. you really have to choose the right time to activate NWs armor vs Cage or risk wasting a bar and still being stuck in Cages pressure

KH_Captain

Nightwolf wannabe
I also thought sonya was 4-6 but you do play clint a lot so i'll defer to you on that one. I think Sonya is just becoming better and better as people unlock her potential which hasn't even been close to being fully tapped. that character is sooo retarded.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
L0rdoftheFLY, I'm not completely sold on Freddy beating Nightwolf 7:3, but I can definitely see where you and Big D are coming from. We have talked about this match up before, and it is without a doubt in Freddy's favor. As soon as Freddy was released and I played a couple of matches versus Master D.'s Freddy, I knew Nightwolf's was going to have major issues versus NMS. Again, I am not sure whether the advantages necessarily translate to a 7:3 match up, but they could. To Nightwolf's defense, his reflect limits Freddy's projectile spam and shoulder ram punishes mid spikes.

As I have said before, I think Nightwolf is an inferior Jax who does more damage mid screen. Jax's unblockable can be canceled, he has a better projectile, his dash move has less recovery frames, his EX dash move has less range but does more damage, he has an additional armor move, his low string actually hits low and is faster, etc. etc.

KH_Captain

Nightwolf wannabe
L0rdoftheFLY, I'm not completely sold on Freddy beating Nightwolf 7:3, but I can definitely see where you and Big D are coming from. We have talked about this match up before, and it is without a doubt in Freddy's favor. As soon as Freddy was released and I played a couple of matches versus Master D.'s Freddy, I knew Nightwolf's was going to have major issues versus NMS. Again, I am not sure whether the advantages necessarily translate to a 7:3 match up, but they could. To Nightwolf's defense, his reflect limits Freddy's projectile spam and shoulder ram punishes mid spikes.

As I have said before, I think Nightwolf is an inferior Jax who does more damage mid screen. Jax's unblockable can be canceled, he has a better projectile, his dash move has less recovery frames, his EX dash move has less range but does more damage, he has an additional armor move, his low string actually hits low and is faster, etc. etc.
and jax's hitbox is sooo low unlike Nightwolfs King kong sized hitbox. that's the worst part about NW imo.