What's new

Nightwolf General Discussion Thread

Juanchaaa

Skarlet Tech Junkie
Rising Tomahawk DF2 frame data inside the corner against the entire cast (Minus Terminator)

The problem as far as the flow, timing and overall execution for using DF2 in the beginning of your combo as an extender seems to drastically change depending on the Normal/String being used to special cancel into DF2 + the character being hit.

This goes over the frame data, different characters and some miscellaneous things as to what's happening. Hope this helps someone.

Nightwolfs [Makota Warrior's] Rising Tomahawk DF2 Special Move by its self is +35 on hit, which leads into meterless combos and it can be used as an extender in the corner.

The frame data changes from +37 on hit to +36 on hit depending on the string being special cancelled against normal hitbox characters. Which makes the timing stricter and leads into frustrating execution errors.

This seems to be the reason why sometimes the extension of meterless DF2 with 11 is harder in the corner. Hit/HurtBox specific issues do come into play depending on the character recieving the combo.

The meterless corner combo subjected is:
- 11+DF2~11+DF2xx~31, 11+BF4 [333.47]

These are the different strings that change the advantage on hit whenever Nightwolf uses meterless DF2 in the corner. It's also character specific.

Normal Hitbox Characters
(Tsung, Nightwolf, Johnny, Scorpion, Noob, Barraka, Sub-Zero, Kano, Kabal, Liu Kang, Kung Lao, Erron Black)

+37
[This makes the meterless DF1 combo route easier]

B1
F1
F12
B1

+36 on hit advantage
[This makes the meterless combo route difficult]

B13
F2
F21
F2121
B3
B34
D4

__

Hitboxes completely change this all together, after labbing the hit advantage on female characters. Which depending on the normal/string being cancelled it goes from +36 to +35

Female Characters Frame Data
(Frost, Kitana, Sonya, Cassie, Jacqui, Jade, Skarlet, D'vorah, Cetrion)

+35

D1
B3
B34
D4

+36

Every other Normal/String that can be special cancelled.

This leads me to believe that as a rule of thumb, you need to be +36 at the very least to even be able to use standing 1 as an extender for this route. If you're +35 the only way is to extend is with d1.

Combo route meterless at +35
-B34+DF2~D1, D1, D1+BF4 [263.09]

__
Big Body Characters
(Shao Khan, Kotal, Raiden, Geras)

Shao is left +37 on all options, excluding:

D1
F2
B3
B34
D4
__

Misc. Characters:

Jax is left +37 on most options.

+36
D1
F2
B3
B34
D4

Kollector Is left +37 on most options.

+36
D1
F2
B3
B34
D4
DF2 (Raw)

DrZmmm

Noob
So I should be using NW for his footsies and neutral? Anyone have any other kind of general advice? Finding out d3 jails has made things much easier. I've only been using NW for three days, but the learning curve seems higher than most.

TyCarter35

Bonafide Jax scrub
So I should be using NW for his footsies and neutral? Anyone have any other kind of general advice? Finding out d3 jails has made things much easier. I've only been using NW for three days, but the learning curve seems higher than most.
yea, nightwolf requires solid fundamentals to succeed, also f2 can actually catch a lot of ppl by surprise, b1 and b13 are good staggers to go into throw. d3 into 111 is really nice. u can surprise ppl with poke into charge sometimes especially if u play AG where u have a real mixup of poke into charge/command grab. MW is fine for most MUs thanks to reflect tho some chars that shoot multiple projectiles AG is preferred cuz u can reflect and tp right after reflecting one

Wigy

There it is...
So recently picked up nightwolf.

Think I've got the general idea for him on most things but I struggle with people jumping all over me and out of Oki.

His d2 is great for people jumping in from the front but seems to be ass for crossups. I use b1 in the corner to catch people jumping and it's decent there as it's also a nice stagger but just wanting advice.

11 on knockdown sometimes the second hit drops if they jump and I don't Wana do a s1 by itself or 111 cause that will definitely drop.

F12 whiffs like crazy on jumping. F2 is hilariously bad at catching jumps for a move where he swings from over his head.

His best as seems to be s3

TL/Dr how do you deal with a lot of jumping on knockdown and up close when there's small minus or plus frames going.

DrZmmm

Noob
What do yall do against Cetrions second variation? I cant zone back, reflect efficiently or get in against that variation. I use MW

TL/Dr how do you deal with a lot of jumping on knockdown and up close when there's small minus or plus frames going.
I've been backing up on KD and just reacting to what they do. Unless I've conditioned them..then I react based on the conditioning.

Legion DC

"Another weakling..."
Have you guys discuss the KB DBF3 Tomahawk Swing command grab?
How and when do I pull this KB off on my opponent?

Zviko

Noob
Have you guys discuss the KB DBF3 Tomahawk Swing command grab?
How and when do I pull this KB off on my opponent?
It has to be a reversal punish. To get a reversal you have to do the input while still blocking their attack in it's late frames. This way it will come out on the first possible frame and it will count as reversal. Command grab startup is 12f I believe so to get reversal punish, they have to do something that is -13 or more.

Slymind

Noob
Guys, i've been thinking about picking NW, however i usually like the brawler type of characters and the Ancestral Gift variation seems to be more my alley, however since i never see it i must ask: Is it legit to play AG over Matoka Warrior or the other one, or will i just be limiting myself?

Wigy

There it is...
Guys, i've been thinking about picking NW, however i usually like the brawler type of characters and the Ancestral Gift variation seems to be more my alley, however since i never see it i must ask: Is it legit to play AG over Matoka Warrior or the other one, or will i just be limiting myself?
Limiting yourself.

The command grabs are kinda pointless as makota already has an s tier grab strike mix.

S+ Main

Noob
also his fwd throw puts them right next to you so u legit have throw loops off fwd throw and he has KB throws for both side.

Wigy

There it is...
AG cannot enforce his command grabs.

If you disrespect the biggest damage he can get is 111 shoulder.

Makota can take 40% of your hp near enough.

Night wolf got an absolutely huge buff in making spirit tracks combo off everything. Amazing projectile and now damage. Complete character. Better than his most used variation.

Slymind

Noob
Can Ancestral Gift compete now? i tried to lab it, but the PC version is messed up so i didn't get all the changes yet.

scarsunseen

RIP TYM 6/11/2021
Ancestral Gift's command grab is also now armor breaking. Really hard to catch them after B2 though. Easy after 312

Last edited:

Slymind

Noob
Night wolf got an absolutely huge buff in making spirit tracks combo off everything. Amazing projectile and now damage. Complete character. Better than his most used variation.
I'm suprised that they didn't touch Spirit of Kiba, that ability is not worthy. They could give it armor breaking properties in some of his moves to add some flavor to it, it would give Matoka something over Shaman, now i genuinely don't see much of a reason for Matoka, aside from some slightly higher damage output.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
What about his gameplan is better now.
22 1+3 is a grab now and b34 1+3 is safe.

this means he can play very safe while still playing a strike throw mixup.

he was always good before and plays similar to Jax in MK9. Lots of quick chunk damage.

the threat of command grab makes b34 1+3 really real. Every touch is a guess and it feels good being able to use every string.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
22 1+3 is a grab now and b34 1+3 is safe.

this means he can play very safe while still playing a strike throw mixup.

he was always good before and plays similar to Jax in MK9. Lots of quick chunk damage.

the threat of command grab makes b34 1+3 really real. Every touch is a guess and it feels good being able to use every string.
Also because most of his damage is unbreakable grounded damage, when you do get a KB launch it’s easy to counter breakaways with CG crushing blow.