What's new

Nightwolf General Discussion Thread

Manticore

You will incubate my young!
Can someone tell me how I should be using B132? From what I’ve seen it’s not as fast as F12 to whiff punish, it’s also slower than B34 for being a close range mid. Apparently there’s also a gap between B13(2), making it hard to stagger without conditioning with unsafe stuff. It is safer though so is that the main thing?
Its the string I use the least, I use it as meaty sometimes when they delay wake up or for shimmies

Manticore

You will incubate my young!
Guys, I must confess. I spent HOURS in lab with Nightwolf in between matches and... it is hard to master. I feel like I have the gameplay set but when it comes to online... I lose. If something interrupts me, I'm lost. It wasn't like that with Kabal, there I always had a backup plan.

Simply (Matoka), if someone breaks your pressure, it's hard to restart.

Seems like he could be anywhere on the tier list depending on your skills. Unlike Liu Kang or Skarlet.
I feel he's definitely top 10. Very good buttons, good damage and amazing corner carry. I feel the most effective gameplan should be built around his throws, auto shimmy 111 and the occasional f2. Use his amazing pokes on hit to make them guess between throw and 111. Always be ready to hit confirm the auto shimmy as well, catches a lot of people who try to react to throws. After any combo I'd use both bars to carry my opponent to the corner where you can really bully them with staggers, throws and shimmys. I use 11, 31, and b3 to stagger; after the stagger you can either grab, poke to steal your turn back, back dash into f1 to punish their counter poke or even go for overhead if you've conditioned them enough etc. Apart from this just play solidly really, beat delay wake ups with a well timed f2, b1 or b3 (hit confirm into combo, block confirm to full string to be safe). I tend to play very aggressively, and for the most part it works

kcd117

Noob
B1 is an amazing stagger and so is B13. B1 B3 will crush every late poke people attempt. B1 backdash F1 is also really good. If people jump B1 D1 is an excellent conversion. B1 grab is very good too.

To keep people from interrupting B13(2) you can cancel the 3 into arrow bc then the only way to interrupt it is with a poke and after they are conditioned you can just stop and block it to get your turn back or cancel into his launcher to catch them pressing.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
if they are always respecting 11 pressure after d3 hits and waiting to interrupt which they can mostly because 11, and 111 are both -7 and 1 its -5, try to throw, or 31, which is -2 or -3, at this advantage, you can mostly 111 at will and catch in between ppl unless they try to d1 or d2 to disrespect, which its also heavily discuraged since 312 has a KB attached to it.

If you don't have the KB and they are still tryng to poke after 31 pressure, retret or backdash into f1 which mostly works.

Jowabunga

Woooooooooooooo!
I found some peculiar behavior today related to long and sometimes medium input windows for specials. I doubt it's unique to Nightwolf, but the example was from labbing him so I'm posting this here for now.

Example: If I hit with d3 in the lab and hit F2 immediately to continue pressure, the game treats acts as if I did DF2 instead (by continuing to act on the initial down input from the d3) and I get the Tomahawk launcher. With input window long, the only way to avoid this is to wait and guess when the game is ready to accept F2 as a separate input. Alternately, setting input window to short eliminates this behavior, but you still either have to wait until you think the game is ready to accept input or mash the input until it comes out.

I'm guessing you'd see similar behavior throughout the cast when cancelling a normal into a special when that normal is the first part of the special input.

Zviko

Noob
I found some peculiar behavior today related to long and sometimes medium input windows for specials. I doubt it's unique to Nightwolf, but the example was from labbing him so I'm posting this here for now.

Example: If I hit with d3 in the lab and hit F2 immediately to continue pressure, the game treats acts as if I did DF2 instead (by continuing to act on the initial down input from the d3) and I get the Tomahawk launcher. With input window long, the only way to avoid this is to wait and guess when the game is ready to accept F2 as a separate input. Alternately, setting input window to short eliminates this behavior, but you still either have to wait until you think the game is ready to accept input or mash the input until it comes out.

I'm guessing you'd see similar behavior throughout the cast when cancelling a normal into a special when that normal is the first part of the special input.
This is pretty much why there's a short, medium and long option there.

Surielx

Noob

Not unique to Nightwolf. You can use this with other characters for your advantage, especially for Kano and Jax command grabs. For example, if command grab is DBF2 you can easily do poke D1, then BF2 and it works.

TyCarter35

Bonafide Jax scrub
Not unique to Nightwolf. You can use this with other characters for your advantage, especially for Kano and Jax command grabs. For example, if command grab is DBF2 you can easily do poke D1, then BF2 and it works.
This really helps Nightwolf in his ancestral gift variation where poke into tick throw/charge is a legit mixup, the amount of times I've caught ppl off guard by using blocked poke into command grab/charge with both giving decent hit advantage where he can go into stagger/oki town

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Probably well known by now, but you can hit confirm for f2121 and on block do f214 to make it safe (the only way to make it truly safe on block). It takes practice, the timing is slightly odd. You do f21 and pause, if it hits, quickly finish with the 21 xx axe, if blocked, just hit 4.

Look at the inputs for the pause.

kcd117

Noob
Probably well known by now, but you can hit confirm for f2121 and on block do f214 to make it safe (the only way to make it truly safe on block). It takes practice, the timing is slightly odd. You do f21 and pause, if it hits, quickly finish with the 21 xx axe, if blocked, just hit 4.

I think that with Raptor's OS, you can confirm it 100% of the time. And make his 11 auto shimmy string + every time they block it. The tech is broken as hell.

kcd117

Noob

In a simple explanation, you can use the stance switch button to make follow up string attacks and special moves come out on hit but not on block to stay safe and let the game auto hitconfirm it for you.

So far it seems to make NW's auto shimmy 11 string come out as 111 xx rising tomahawk on hit and 112 when they block the first and second hits, but is a bit tricky and I need to test it further to see what is actually happening.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
I think that with Raptor's OS, you can confirm it 100% of the time. And make his 11 auto shimmy string + every time they block it. The tech is broken as hell.
Idk how this OS works exactly, but it’s not working for this string. Could be doing it wrong.

kcd117

Noob
Idk how this OS works exactly, but it’s not working for this string. Could be doing it wrong.
Some strings are a bit harder, some are very easy, but it can be done on every move in the game I believe.

Liu Kang can do it in a way that he does 12 and if any of the hits connect he goes straight into 4xx bike kicks, and if it gets blocked he goes straight into a F4, or nothing if you don't input the bike kick at the end.

Actually there are plenty reasons to be worry about.

This new variation 'Shaman' is the shitty variant of Matoka Warrior.

• Your BF4 ender is now your launcher
  • You lose your ender
  • You lose 2 moves in general (Buff+ender)
  • Your ender is now lightning arrow
  • Lightning arrow is -21 on block, Spirit arrow is -5 bye bye safe ender.
  • Spirit Tracks (BF4) doesnt launch on your highest damaging starters 111, F2121
  • Your bnb goes from 289.44 to 276.3 without possibility to spent 2 bars for more damage.
Correct me if i'm wrong.

Last edited: