What's new

Nightwolf General Discussion Thread

Zviko

Noob
I wish 22 would tick too. It would be a very nice mix up at the end when fishing for that 22 1+3 brutality. I hope he gets one of his command grab too.

I think I'll main Ancestral. No idea why but I'm really enjoying it. It's not better than Matoka imo but it feels good when you make it work while others say it's trash. Feels good to be an underdog and that's what all my mains have been but something was always missing. Whether it was neutral, problems with zoners or something else. I feel like Nightwolf Ancestral has everything. He's not top tier, he doesn't excel at anything but he does have everything and is very well rounded. And last but most important, he's fun to play.

Jowabunga

Woooooooooooooo!
Most of my characters are chosen on aesthetics/feel or because I like their toolset (so far Shao, Skarlet, and Nightwolf, with Enchantress/Dr Fate/Swamp Thing and a few others in past games) which has resulted in a lot of mid-tier-at-best kind of characters, but I end up sticking with them because they're just fun. Looking forward to hearing how Ancestral fares once people get more match experience.

PreNerf_

No labels
Jax says Hello

Also, what's the go to thing to do after you land that shoulder charge KB? Dash 111 combo? Or do you have time for another starter?
I was dashing in with f2121, but i have found it's much better and easier to j2, 111,df2 xx 4bf4. His back throw sets you up for an almost meaty enhance shoulder charge, so I have been playing around with backthrow near the corner. He has decent corner carry so after you throw them toward the corner (even almost half stage away), you can j2, 111 df2, 4, df2, 31,bf4 for 41%

PreNerf_

No labels
I wish 22 would tick too. It would be a very nice mix up at the end when fishing for that 22 1+3 brutality. I hope he gets one of his command grab too.

I think I'll main Ancestral. No idea why but I'm really enjoying it. It's not better than Matoka imo but it feels good when you make it work while others say it's trash. Feels good to be an underdog and that's what all my mains have been but something was always missing. Whether it was neutral, problems with zoners or something else. I feel like Nightwolf Ancestral has everything. He's not top tier, he doesn't excel at anything but he does have everything and is very well rounded. And last but most important, he's fun to play.
Yea, my brother has been playing ancestral against me and it's pretty good. You don't need huge combos in that variation. And because 1 ticks, 11 ticks, all his pokes tick and f2121 ticks it may be the strongest tick variation in the game. Not op but decent.

PreNerf_

No labels

Yea, my brother has been playing ancestral against me and it's pretty good. You don't need huge combos in that variation. And because 1 ticks, 11 ticks, all his pokes tick and f2121 ticks it may be the strongest tick variation in the game. Not op but decent.

PreNerf_

No labels
I just want to ask. Why would netherrealm make his 112 only plus 1??? It's basically unusable in high level play cause the only two things that connect are 12 and 13 frames.

PreNerf_

No labels
I just want to ask. Why would netherrealm make his 112 only plus 1??? It's basically unuseable in high level play cause the only two things that connect are 12 and 13 frames.
At least if it was plus 4 or five it would be half way useable.

PreNerf_

No labels
N
Nightwolf doesnt really need the + frames. 11 is an excellent stagger and most of the time that's what you'll be using for offence, not chasing that +1 on block lol
no I realize how strong his 11 is, but why the hell would they even give him a plus 1 if that makes his connecting moves easy to just poke out of. I guess I'm just wishing it was a decent option.

the timing to breakaway from his amplified axe pop-up is so damn janky. peak of the popup (according to breakaway tutorial) my ass.

Evil Canadian

G O K U
Premium Supporter
At least if it was plus 4 or five it would be half way useable.
Being +1 is fine. It dumps you at the exact range of f1, and there's only a tiny handful of characters that can challenge f1 at that range and still win. For the bulk of characters either range will be too little, or their longer range move too slow.

Apex Kano

Kano Commando main MKX
I'm having trouble doing Night Wolf Crushing Blow off his Cmd grab. The requirements says after a reversal punish but I'm not getting anything? Any tips?

Ashesfall

"Feel the wrath of Shao Kahn"
Topic: Gameplay
his command throw crushing blow is stupidly hard to apply in a gameworld
DBF command after a short window (blockstun) to get as a "reversal"-punish is ... not fun
it could be just punisher alone and it would be still not to easy but "reversal"?
com on NRS, why?
or am a alone here?
(i know you can buffer DB while blocking but still ... terrible requirement especially for "casuals")
---
oh and please fix some hitboxes like, f12 into super should work
DF2meter in corner should not whiff
command throw meter version buff the dmg a little bit

just some thoughts
---
Topic: Unlocks

so i have done the last tower stage(5) by now and i also unlocked a Brutality in a time based tower (thanks to twitter, i didnt missed it) great arrow Kill and kinda practical + for all variations.

my point is i have unlocked 15/21? (see picture)
Is Nightwolf showing us the future? or is their content somewhere else in the game like a Nightwolf krypt chest?Shang has for example max 17 and Noob only max 16. Why Nightwolf shows us 21?
someone know?

One Brutal Nightwolf needs:
DF2 cutting in two, the classic (note: i love sub zeros shoulder Kill)

ps: i love hunting Brutality's, best feature since MKX
(really wished some of them got requirement changed but different topic)

Agilaz

It has begun
Reversal punish cmd grab takes practice but it's not that hard. You just have to make sure you use it for moves that are death on block, like Shao's shoulder.

Maybe it's easier for me cause I played Goro in MKX and reversal cmg grab was the tits

Zviko

Noob
There are many popular moves that get you that cmnd grab KB. Scorp's tp, Sub Zero slide, it even works on Liu Kang's flying kick but it's inconsistent. Sometimes he lands further away, sometimes closer.

I'm not used to the input yet either because I've never played a grappler, except Kollector a little bit just before Nightwolf. I have to really warm up to do it consistently off of D3 or 11. And sometimes I think it's not even my fault because the input I see on the screen is exactly what it should be and yet it doesn't come out.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
It seems a lot of you are using the cmd grab variation. Haven’t had time to really mess with it. Is it better than Makoto or about the same? I’ve had to completely rework the gameplan for it.

Agilaz

It has begun
It seems a lot of you are using the cmd grab variation. Haven’t had time to really mess with it. Is it better than Makoto or about the same? I’ve had to completely rework the gameplan for it.
Different strengths. I'd say ancestral does better in longer sets, because the plan is to make your opponent second guess every defensive decision they make. Blocking, jumping and neutral crouching should all feel dangerous to your opponent if you're playing this right.

Matoka seems more straight-forward. Better in short sets cause once you learn to block the mix it loses a lot of its threat.

Personally I will stick with ancestral even in ft2's. I just like it more really. And that b341+3 is nothing to sneeze at either. Does nearly 200 damage which is not a bad thing to have off an 11f mid

Juanchaaa

Skarlet Tech Junkie
So generally, the amount of hit adv on knockdown will affect the outcome of an anti get up?
In this instance, the spacing is perfect and when you try to jump over characters they dont auto correct the get up attacks.

Might ne specific characters, but I've been able to do it against Sub and nightwolf.

kcd117

Noob
I think it is matchup specific but if you really wanna main one variation and not run into a lot of trouble, ancestral is the way to go.

Matoka is good if you play it very auto-shimmy based. Ancestral is pretty ridiculous when you know how to apply his oki game properly. Matoka kinda struggles against the heavy zoners, while Ancestral gives 0 fucks about projectiles bc they are actually his way in. In the end the 8%ish dmg difference doesn’t really matter, as you’ll open people up a lot more often in this variation and your neutral is a lot better.

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
Reversal punish cmd grab takes practice but it's not that hard. You just have to make sure you use it for moves that are death on block, like Shao's shoulder.

Maybe it's easier for me cause I played Goro in MKX and reversal cmg grab was the tits
Does it even reach Shao Khans shoulder charge? This is part of the problem. People will be unsafe, but then they're out of range. Shit happens with 221+3KB too.

PreNerf_

No labels
I'm having trouble doing Night Wolf Crushing Blow off his Cmd grab. The requirements says after a reversal punish but I'm not getting anything? Any tips?
To get a reversal on any special move ( and only special moves) you buffer the first part of the special move before the opponents move recovers so that the move comes out on the first frame. Usually on any other characters special move, say something like kollectors db3, you would input d right before you can move and then input b3 on the first frame or right at the absolute last frame before you can move, making his db3 come out in exactly 8 frames on the first frame. As for a weird input like dbf3 ... I don't know if you would have to input DB before the frames are done being active or bf3 after you can move... My little brother can do it Everytime though and has gotten it almost every match in game against me.

kcd117

Noob
I haven’t seen anyone mention it, might be bc most people are playing Matoka and as I’m focusing more on Ancestral I use his B34 1+3 extra string for dmg most of the time, but B3 is an amazing poke crusher. It makes even the most ridiculous pokes like Erron’s D1,D3 and D4 go straight through nightwolf if you do it at the right time. I tend to use a lot after the B1 stagger bc it sets up a perfect situation that if they poke it will get crushed most of the time.