What's new

Nightwolf General Discussion Thread

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
Good luck getting that to hit in high level play.

From what I've tested Matoka Warriors Reflect counters:

Cetrion:
  • beam (amped hits) Only absorbs first hit
  • sends back rock
Spring cleaning:
- absorbs first hit if geysers but gets hit by second.
Force Of Nature:
- Earthquake gets sent back.

So Nightwolf counters FON but Spring Cleaning can outzone Matoka Warrior and AG counters SC.

Shang Tsung - Warlock:

• Ground Skulls absorbs first hit, making it full combo punishable.
  • Straight Skull sends it back.
  • Corpse Drop goes through it.
Still testing matchups.

From what I've seen if Matoka Warrior can't outZoNe Then Ancestrial Gifts picks up the slack with Reflect TP

Surielx

Noob
Basically command grab in Ancestral gift is trash. Theoretically it breaks block (but so does throw). Yet you can't combo into it if the opponent blocks first hits. So it's not a safe escape. This variation seems... comboless.

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous

Cetrion:
  • sends back rock
Spring cleaning:
Force Of Nature:

So Nightwolf counters FON but Spring Cleaning can outzone Matoka Warrior and AG counters SC.

Shang Tsung - Warlock:

Still testing matchups.

From what I've seen if Matoka Warrior can't outZoNe Then Ancestrial Gifts picks up the slack with Reflect TP
Well if you look at this educational clip, you will find that Dr JBeezY discovered another reflect :)

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/466950412

Last edited:
Kind of saddened by all of the reports that the command grab variation might be extraordinarily out shadowed by the other. Still holding out hope that there will be some things found to justify the grab variant. Either way, I'm still gonna be trying it out once I can finally play the game again; my unhealthy thirst for command grabs overrides intelligent decision making.

Agilaz

It has begun
Kind of saddened by all of the reports that the command grab variation might be extraordinarily out shadowed by the other. Still holding out hope that there will be some things found to justify the grab variant. Either way, I'm still gonna be trying it out once I can finally play the game again; my unhealthy thirst for command grabs overrides intelligent decision making.
Who is spreading these reports? The "omg look at my awesome training mode combo video" people?

Who is spreading these reports? The "omg look at my awesome training mode combo video" people?
Mostly just inference on my part from the plethora of early tech found for the first variation and several conversations of how gimmicky and limited the second variation might be that have been posted on the NRS Akademy FB page. I am not trying to say that anyone has called the second variation bad, most people agree that his buttons and general game-plan are good enough that both variations will be fine.

trufenix

bye felicia
Just pick it and help us show its worth. No one is ever going to shine the command grab variation because it has no free midscreen launcher and no safe 50/50s and that's all anyone around here cares about.

It's fine though, Nightwolf's base kit is well put together.

trufenix

bye felicia
Fun fact: Now that Bio actually won something with Dirtbag and Kotal and Kollector got buffs literally no character's command grab variation is being considered the stronger one in tier discussions right now.

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
Basically command grab in Ancestral gift is trash. Theoretically it breaks block (but so does throw). Yet you can't combo into it if the opponent blocks first hits. So it's not a safe escape. This variation seems... comboless.
I disagree. F2121 ticks on block on the third hit, causing the opponent to make a hard read. If hit, it's Oki town for Nightwolf. He's so plus after hitting it he gets a free ji2. It has a KB that does something like 28%. You always seem to have meter using ancestral gift, so you almost always meterburn it for more damage than a throw. It's also his best combo ender.

It's not amazing, but for this game it aint too bad at all.

Mostly just inference on my part from the plethora of early tech found for the first variation and several conversations of how gimmicky and limited the second variation might be that have been posted on the NRS Akademy FB page. I am not trying to say that anyone has called the second variation bad, most people agree that his buttons and general game-plan are good enough that both variations will be fine.
Yeah, it's definitely early to be saying one is definitely better...it's fair to say one is surely more boring (in terms of no flashy combos and gameplan) and has less appeal to the average player. In a weird way, Nightwolf actually might be one of the best job NRS has done with tournament variations so far, in terms of how they probably want the situation to work. Okay, wait, put the pitchforks down, hear me out here. I hate that right now the paradigm is cool combos variation vs no combos at all variation, but NW's variations vary so much in terms of gameplay and style that I think it might be one of the few cases where we see very different winrates against other characters based on which you're using. So in a tournament setting players might choose Ancestral Gift or Matoka Warrior based on the situation, rather than which one is meta.

Agilaz

It has begun
What do you do for oki in AG? I find myself just trying to make a read on what sort of WU they will do

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
Fun fact: Now that Bio actually won something with Dirtbag and Kotal and Kollector got buffs literally no character's command grab variation is being considered the stronger one in tier discussions right now.
Jax says Hello

Also, what's the go to thing to do after you land the shoulder charge KB? Dash 111 combo? Or do you have time for another starter?

trufenix

bye felicia
Jax says Hello
I've never seen anybody suggest Hunker over Barrett, but even so, 1 in 30? So either ALL command grab variants are garbage or people are just sleeping, as always.

Also, what's the go to thing to do after you land the shoulder charge KB? Dash 111 combo? Or do you have time for another starter?
I'm absolute scrub tier at this point, but I have been conditioning with b2, meaty b+3,4, and spaced 1,4,2 to condiiton up throw loops and land that sweet crotch axe krushing blow.

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
I use Matoka but I feel Ascstrial is much better on certain Matchups and its definitely a strong variation.

lionheart21

Its Game Over, Man

Cetrion:
  • sends back rock
Spring cleaning:
Force Of Nature:

Shang Tsung - Warlock:

Still testing matchups.

Man, really could have used that info yesterday when I faced @DanCock's Cetrion.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
So, his arrow is actually an oddly good anti air. Since you can hold it for a little bit, it’s actually kinda hard for the opponent to get around. If they advance on the ground you can let go, since it’s fast it’s hard to react to. And good luck jumping over it at the perfect time.

His b2 is a good aa but on reaction it gets stuffed a lot.

s4 is decent, a little slow though.

Obviously his d2 is decent as well.

But seriously, been messing around with arrow as an AA and it isn’t too bad, for now at least.