What's new

Nightwolf General Discussion Thread

DoDaMuSiC

Ermac ftw
Has anyone found any use for his arrows’ cancels? Out of every string it leaves you minus enough for a full combo punish

M.D.

Spammer. Crouch walk hater.
Well as the post above you suggests you should be able to do f12 arrow safe or f12 arrow cancel, so they wont press a button because you might let go of the arrow.

DoDaMuSiC

Ermac ftw
Well as the post above you suggests you should be able to do f12 arrow safe or f12 arrow cancel, so they wont press a button because you might let go of the arrow.
I’ll have to test it when i get home later, but i THINK you can react to the cancel? And if u let the arrow rock isn’t it unsafe?

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
I swear the only way you can get F2 out is if it's after a Ji2. It's so god damn slow on the first hit, and between hits, that if you go for it raw after a knock down, they can just delay wake up and jab. Or if they're standing and you're in range, they just jab. I'm not sure why Matoka would even use it...Ancestral Gift get's a true 50/50 with it though. Must be for him??

Dreamcatcher

EFL Founder
Woke up today and Nightwolf is finally available for XB1. Was able to use him for like 5 minutes.
I didn’t even know until I read your post just now that they fixed it. Lol

Did you get to play his tower before then? You get to play as him and unlock 3-4 skins and gear. (Plus for other chars as well)

Jowabunga

Woooooooooooooo!
Yeh I did the tower yesterday, just woke up and glad to see he's out. I'll be diving in a bit after breakfast. Cheers!

Enexemander

A Hitbox Pirate - YARRR -
Finally! I found my grappler!

As an ex Kano main from MKX, I've been sorely missing the play style. I'm still exploring the character, but the more I play him, the more I like what I see. There are mind games everywhere, good tick throws, strong anti-zoning, hit confirmable mids, and krushing blows for days.

I'm on PC, so I got the patch+Nightwolf together, and I've hardly touched any other characters. That pretty much says it all.

jcbowie

...more deadly than the dawn.
F12 arrows jail for safety and chip. Happy fishing y'all.
This is only true if they stand block unfortunately, up close on females crouch blocking Nightwolf's arrows miss entirely and on at least some males only the second one hits. If you play a female character and crouch block f1,2 and then let go of block you won't hold any arrows.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
I swear the only way you can get F2 out is if it's after a Ji2. It's so god damn slow on the first hit, and between hits, that if you go for it raw after a knock down, they can just delay wake up and jab. Or if they're standing and you're in range, they just jab. I'm not sure why Matoka would even use it...Ancestral Gift get's a true 50/50 with it though. Must be for him??
I think you can do it after a D4 on hit? Because it pushes them just out of range of it and if they try to move in they get hit. Unsure, but that's when I've been using it. Or on a knockdown if I think they won't wakeup.

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
Very much excited to lab up Nightwolf today. Get those skins so he looks dope and find tech for Matoka Warrior and Ancestral Gifts. They both seem to be useful for anti-zoning

This is only true if they stand block unfortunately, up close on females crouch blocking Nightwolf's arrows miss entirely and on at least some males only the second one hits. If you play a female character and crouch block f1,2 and then let go of block you won't hold any arrows.
Damn the dream is dead lol. I hope there is more to come.

• Once again, NRS is making me choose between a variation I like stylistically and a variation that has combos. The forced dichotomy is becoming tiresome
  • Even more interestingly, it looks like NRS has purposefully made entering the land of Nightwolf combos require an investment by design: building a Kustom variation, it looks like you basically need to spend 2 slots to get a launcher, either the tomahawk swing or roll + amp roll (I think the axe you toss on the ground can setup some stuff but not quite a true launcher)
Was thinking about this last night and getting more annoyed. It's so crazy that you have to spend two slots for what is essentially a run-of-the-mill launcher! Really wished tomahawk swing was a base move that functioned as a below average launcher and you could spend an ability to give it a better version of the existing amped version ability. Paying an ability slot for more consistent, longer combos with more carry would be an interesting player option.

There must have been something truly frightening about Nightwolf combos when testing internally for such drastic choices...

Surielx

Noob
I'm torn. Matoka Warrior has Kiba and great B2 combo extender. Ancestral Gift has KB that does DOT and amp Reflect. 1,1,1+3 KB does exactly 312.87 DMG in total.

Small tip: keep throwing. It's 31% KB when it lands and it's easy.

Now bragging: I just finished his character towers, all 5 stages. Off to lab!

Johnny Based Cage

The Shangest of Tsungs
Half of me wants to be mad that they purposefully gimped this character’s comboability so that they could force a variation choice and two slot investment for him to launch and the other half of me is grateful that at least that variation is badass.

TBH the other one would be too even despite feeling intentionally gimped if he had a mid command grab.

Jowabunga

Woooooooooooooo!
Was thinking about this last night and getting more annoyed. It's so crazy that you have to spend two slots for what is essentially a run-of-the-mill launcher! Really wished tomahawk swing was a base move that functioned as a below average launcher and you could spend an ability to give it a better version of the existing amped version ability. Paying an ability slot for more consistent, longer combos with more carry would be an interesting player option.

There must have been something truly frightening about Nightwolf combos when testing internally for such drastic choices...
I've only got 1-2 hours in with the character now (Matoka only), but while working on some combos this really jumped out at me - you're spending 2 points for a move that's highly analogous to B2, but without the functionality that feels like it justifies that extra cost. Top end for the 2-point launcher I've found so far is roughly 301 for one bar, 375 for 2 bars (though i haven't tried anything but 31 as the tweener string - YMMV). B2 is obviously more limited, but you can still hit just under 200 with ease meterless (B2-dash-111-bf4). I watched a video (REO's) showing you can do B2-dash-31-dash-111-bf4 for just 250 but I couldn't pull it off in the lab - dashes make these feel super fiddly.

Speaking of which, I'm noticing a huge spike in the number of combos in mk11 that require dashing between every step. Not my favorite mechanic ever but I'm getting used to it.

Anyway, I gotta put some time into Ancestral to figure out if that 2 point investment for the Matoka launcher is really worth it.