What's new

Nightwolf General Discussion Thread

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
So, thus far:

d1, d3, d4, and f2121 (the third hit) can all tick throw into command grab
I used him on the tower and his F2 is a 24f overhead. Seemed to be very difficult to land being that slow. His B34 has very short range but is an 11f mid low. B13 is 17f mid and F1212 is a fast 13f mid starter.
He was very lackluster in the tower build without combo starters. I'm hoping he is more rushdown in tournament variations. He felt like a full on zoner in the TOT build that didn't have Shoulder or launcher and moves where slower. I bet he is very good in both variations but hoping he feels like a rushdown grappler/counter zoner. His arrow is very good. And reflect seemed very strong and reflected stuff I thought it couldn't like Cetrion Rock and Beam

lionheart21

Its Game Over, Man
I used him on the tower and his F2 is a 24f overhead. Seemed to be very difficult to land being that slow. His B34 has very short range but is an 11f mid low. B13 is 17f mid and F1212 is a fast 13f mid starter.
He was very lackluster in the tower build without combo starters. I'm hoping he is more rushdown in tournament variations. He felt like a full on zoner in the TOT build that didn't have Shoulder or launcher and moves where slower. I bet he is very good in both variations but hoping he feels like a rushdown grappler/counter zoner. His arrow is very good. And reflect seemed very strong and reflected stuff I thought it couldn't like Cetrion Rock and Beam
Yeah, if someone just sees Nightwolf based on the tower variation that he's given, he's not all that impressive. His command grab variation is legit, though. Haven't checked out his first variation yet.

Jowabunga

Woooooooooooooo!
there have been no Twitter updates since the last one I referenced so I assume this is still accurate until it's not. :D

Wam-Zlay

Reptile / Noob
Go help me get some combos going

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Here are some observations.

- 1,1,1 is a good punishing and anti-throw tech string that is safe on block. The last hit can be hit-confirmed into EX tomahawk for combos. For reference, the second hit of Cassie's 1,1 is three frames faster than Nightwolf's.

- throws function similarly to Scorpion's. Forward throw gives okizeme. Back throw knocks away. Both throws have krushing blow properties, though.

- EX tomahawk and EX shoulder charge can be amplified on block, but there are gaps so you can still be punished.

- (insert string) xx EX tomahawk forward dash 1,1,1 xx tomahawk / shoulder charge is the most damaging combo that I have discovered thus far.

So far the following strings tick with Nightwolf's command grab: d1, d3, d4, s1, s2, 11. Not sure if there was any I missed tho
Those standing attacks do not lead to a tick throw for me. Aside from low pokes, f+2,1,2,1 is the only standing attack that leads to a tick throw but only on the third hit as @lionheart21 already mentioned.

Does his wolf buff grant him a hit of armor during its activation?

Is this real?
EX wolf buff only and only during the animation in which he raises his arm.

TyCarter35

Bonafide Jax scrub
Those standing attacks do not lead to a tick throw for me. Aside from low pokes, f+2,1,2,1 is the only standing attack that leads to a tick throw but only on the third hit as
I had the AI set on stance hold when I tested it, including reversals being taken into account in which the tick throw works. Also if it is whiffing it's generally due to command grabs being a high since u can neutral duck it right after the poke but it will not whiff if opp keeps blocking. The same rule applies for Jax's quad grab for exanple. Nightwolf can make a mixup between his rhino charge and command grab. It's things worth exploring however

y0da

Noob
What I've currently discovered for Matoka Warrior:
B2, F12 cancelled DF2 AMP, F12 cancelled BF4 ~270HP
Perhaps when calling the Wulf (I always wanted to say that :cool:) the combo could be more powerful

Last edited:

TyCarter35

Bonafide Jax scrub
Also I just discovered that if nightwolf does smt like standing 2 into tick throw and opponent tries to fatal it will stuff it whereas d1 into tick throw won't for some reason. Gonna need to test his other strings too

M2Dave

Zoning Master
I had the AI set on stance hold when I tested it, including reversals being taken into account in which the tick throw works. Also if it is whiffing it's generally due to command grabs being a high since u can neutral duck it right after the poke but it will not whiff if opp keeps blocking. The same rule applies for Jax's quad grab for exanple. Nightwolf can make a mixup between his rhino charge and command grab. It's things worth exploring however
I stand corrected. Thanks for the explanation.

FrankOceansWaifu

Watch this set up.
Why doesn’t his 312 string KB work while the opponent is in hit stun like after a D4? Is this just how the game works or is it a bug?