What's new

Guide Nightwolf competition guide

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
NW guide

NW is a great character who is balanced equally on both offense and defense. I'm going to cover all the basics briefly but focus this guide to strategies that work in high level play. But first just so you know these strats work, I'm going to give you my background as a nw player.

Tourneys:
-First tournament was southern combat in atl. Got second place to pigofthehut.
-Second place at Atlanta Revival team tourney w/pig, third place at ATL Revival
-Third tournament was EVO. Placed top 32 and was one win away from top 16. I lost to konqrr and detroitballin313.
-Second and third at ATL Battle and Brew tourney.
-First at Game Galaxy arcade tourney in Tenn
-Most recently won first at ATL Battle and Brew vs ATL Redd

Upcoming:
Many local GA tourneys

Mains:
Nightwolf, kabal, skarlet

Now lets talk business.

Notable normals:
-1 quick jab and a great way to start a mixup. Also is a notable anti air. Best used in combos to add damage
-B2 best used in combos...can be used for footsies as it lunges forward over many low attacks.
-F2 only after jump in punch is this useful. Leads to free lightning or pressure string.
-F3 his best normal. Great at stuffing wake ups and has combo ability or mixup ability after. Great priority.
-B4 sweep with great range but slow recovery
Standing 4 not much use but is safe on block and can screw up someone so if they try and punish cause you can throw out a shoulder after safely.
-D3 quick poke great for getting out of pressure.
-D4 if hits while opponent is standing you can dash in for a free pressure string. If they do anything but block you get a combo.
-D1 fast jab that I use to link into hatchet to either create space on block or on hit...I get a combo.

notable specials
-ff4 or shoulder. Fast special that hits high and goes a little over half screen. It can be ducked so don't be careless but it's a move your opponent should respect. If landed it pushes your opponent across floor and sets up lightning traps. Nw's best combo ender.

-Eh shoulder. First half until first hit has armor. After first hit the armor goes away. It can be ducked and interrupted before the second hit. It also goes full screen. Great for getting in on turtle characters like sub or cyrax.

-Arrow. Useless for the most part unless in low damaging combos or on your opponents wakeup. Other wise you will get punished by a smart opponent. Maybe against a cage or something bur over all a bad idea...I never shoot em honestly.

Nightwolf does have an arrow trap that can be used as a high level strategy. More on that later.

-Eh arrow. A waste of a meter unless your opponent jumps at the end of a round and you win off of it. also can be used in arrow trap.

-Choke. A command grab that can be blocked and hits high...that means it can be ducked so it's only useful on wakeup especially if they jump. Has faster recovery than eh choke so it can be used in block strings.

-Eh choke. Same as above but has armor and does more damage. Awesome against jumpers because it can't get stuffed. Both reg and eh choke lead to lightning traps. Which makes them even better. Slow recovery on block so don't use in block strings.

-Hatchet/axe. Only launcher and combo starter. Safe on block but unsafe if you are just out of range. You can spam from full screen to build meter or from beyond jump distance(character dependent). Great wakeup due to invincibility frames. Although can be stuffed by a well placed d4

-Eh axe. Two hit launcher that is safe on block. Use in combos for more damage or on wakeup for greater invincibility. Second hit has greater range than the first. Use after a blocked string to make it safe and get more chip damage. You cab do an instant attack if they don't expect it. They must counter with a move with faster startup to beat you out.

-Lightning. Not safe and can be Jumped. Can be used on wakeup or ducking opponents for more safety but it's still risky all together. I use it on characters like sub to condition them to jump.

-Eh lightning. Leads to 33% combo at jump distance. At full screen you can hit a shoulder. After a combo of 40% if you can land the eh lightning you get an extra 33% which starts the lightning trap all over again as long as you have meter. That 72% in one combo unless they have breaker. More on LT later.

-Reflect. One of his best specials and sets him apart from every other character in the game besides kenshi. It is so fast you can do it at the last second and it will reflect almost everything. You can do a lightning after a reflect for a guaranteed hit on 99% of characters except those with super recovery like maybe Kano or Freddy. If the projectile hits them lightning is usually guaranteed unless it knocks them down. You need to be at least jump distance for eh lightning to hit and full screen for regular lightning. It is not guaranteed on any character who does iaf. A shoulder may be better from the right distance due to his fast recovery and if they jump the projectile, the shoulder might hit. This makes up for him having such a bad projectile himself.

-Eh reflect. Gives him life. Do it only if you need to stay alive but don't waste meter on it unless you NEED to. It will scare your opponent really bad to where he never throws projectiles again (that can be good and bad).

Reflect Guide:
Coming soon!

Combos for punishing

The end of all punisher combos should look the same without meter. It's the start up that varies. Add 3% for jump in punch. All mid screen.

No meter
122 axe b2axe ff1 ff1 ff122 shoulder 38%
b111axe b2axe ff1 ff1 ff122 shoulder 39%
b22axe b2axe ff1 ff1 ff122 shoulder 39%
f31axe b2axe ff1 ff1 ff122 shoulder 38%

With meter. Pure punishers. Only use meter if you want to finish a round...his eh moves are too good to waste in combos mostly.
B22axe axe b2eh axe ff1 ff1 ff122 shoulder 45% one bar
B22axe axe b2 eh axe b2 eh choke 47% two bars
B22axe axe b2 eh axe eh lightning ff1 ff122 shoulder 49% two bars
B22axe axe b2 eh axe eh lightning 122 eh shoulder 50% three bars
B22 axe b2axe ff12 xray that bitch!(never practical) 52%

more for fun but not overly practical eh lightning combos.
Eh lightning off of jip f2. Jip f2 does 12% so you can add 12% to the end of each combo.
Eh lightning b2axe ff1 ff1 ff122 shoulder 33% + 12% = 45% one bar
Eh lightning b2 eh axe ff1 ff1 ff122 shoulder 36% + 12% = 48% two bars
Eh lightning axe b2 eh axe ff1 ff1 ff122 shoulder 39% + 12% =51% two bars

Corner Combos

NW like any character dominates in the corner. He can take huge damage and gets has great setups.
So what I do is pick my starter:
Most damage to least
Jip b22-49%
Jip b111-49%
Jip 122-48%
Jip F31-47%

Then I follow up each starter with this:
Axe, b2 axe , f312, 122 shoulder.

The ender is always the same. It's the starter hat varies the damage and each starter is situational. Where corners get fun is how you mix up throw setups and resets.

Reset 1 example:
B22 axe, b2 axe, f312, f312...the f3 will hit, the 1 will wiff, and the 2 will stand them up blocking in neutral frames allowing pressure to continue
Rests 2 example:
B22 axe, b2 axe, f312, f3 eh axe...the first swipe of eh axe will wiff but the second swipe will stand them up in neutral frames allowing pressure to continue.

Throw setup 1:
B22 axe, b2 axe, f312, 122...the 122 will shorten their time for wakeup giving you a set up for a grab...a little risky but a great way to add damage and set up a non teachable knockdown. 43% + 12% = 55%
Throw setup 2:
B22 axe, b2 axe f312, 11...same as above. 40% + 12% = 52%
Throw set up 3:
B22 axe, b2 axe, f312, 23...same as above. 42% + 12% = 54%

Or eh lightning set ups
Jip b22 axe, b2 axe, f312, d2...ff eh lightning b2 axe 1, 1, 122 shoulder. 47% + 33% = 80%

From jump distance away from the wall
B22 axe f2 axe f312 122 shoulder 51%

Situational
Air to air jump punches are so common in this game you need to be able to capitalize on your damage.
Jump punch ff1 ff1 ff1 ff1 ff1 ff122 shoulder 18%

AA
-Uppercut is best...7 frames and able to punish every teleporter in the game. If done high enough, you can land a shoulder after it...but it's rare.
-Axe is good anti air but best after a wake up which will be discussed more later. You need to know when you opponent is gonna jump...otherwise you will see you axe gets stuffed allot. You are safe when the green of the axe is in front of you. Even when the green is on screen your head is vulnerable due to the hit box of the axe hasn't reached over your head yet. If you happen to land an axe as antiair than these combos will add nice damage.

AA combos
Axe neutral jump punch (njp) b2 eh axe ff1 ff1 ff122 shoulder 36% one bar
axe njp axe ff1 ff1 ff1 ff122 shoulder 30%
axe axe ff1 ff1 ff1 ff1 ff122 shoulder 28%
axe axe b2 eh axe ff1 ff1 ff122 shoulder 37% one bar
axe axe b2 eh axe eh lightning ff1 ff122 shoulder 41% two bars

Anti air techniques:
When in doubt...use the uppercut as AA

Standing 1 beats any jip attempt but can be stuffed by a well placed JK

Instant jump kick shoulder = 15%. Use it often

D4 works on a far jump in
Linking d1 into axe

This is a great way to punish characters who don't give you much time to punish after a missed attack. For example mileenas eh teleport. If you duck the second hit you can d1 f1 and link a low jab into axe for a juggle. This also create space if it wiffs allowing you time to think and set up next move.

D1 axe also works well after strings like f312, any eh axe block strings, dashing in with d1 is good. d1 eh axe also works. Any 7 frame window will work.

Lightning traps.

Lightning acts like cyrax bombs in a way. They hit on proximity and are unblockable. Even if you are in the air, just in front of or just behind, it will hit.

Let me rest some myths about this ellusive lightning trap. First of all its not just a shoulder that sets this up...ANY knockdown besides his throw gives you the chance for a LT. Secondly, People will tell you that you are guaranteed a lightning. Not true. It's never a guarantee. If you do it too early or too late it won't hit. If you do it right but they decide to front or back roll it wiffs, if they decide to do nomad dash or a shadow kick it wiffs, if they decide to do a teleport it wiffs. You need to treat the lightning trap as if it is never guaranteed at all.

Best setups for eh lightning:
Uppercut-1
Shoulder-2
Standing 4 or 234-3
114-4
F312-5

Nightwolf is all about reading and conditioning your opponent to not expect it. I usually won't do an eh lightning until the end of a round or even better the end of a match if I don't need it. Nw is good without the trap.

To make the trap hit you never do the lightning as soon as possible. Always hesitate a bit cause it will wiff if done too early. If they roll the hesitation will still let it hit. If they get up and try to jump, the lightning will still hit if they are close enough to the ground. You still need to adjust your timing to their tendencies but you get the idea.

What should I follow the LT with?
A shoulder always works but that should only be the case at full screen. Use the LT combos I listed above at jump distance for max damage.

Offensive and defensive strats

Building meter
The only way for nw to build meter is to use block strings cause arrows and lightning are not reliable and are unsafe. It takes 26 hatchets (from full screen) 8 arrows (on block) 7 shoulders (on block) to build one meter so sitting back and spamming hatchets can work for meter but it's not economical but I do it occasionally. Any chance you have to build meter, take it! If you do a shoulder right after 1221, you build exactly half a bar of meter. So if you do that twice, you have a full bar. This makes strings that much more useful.

You have to have meter to win with nw. Against characters like cyrax and Lao you have to have breakers so getting this chip damage meter is essential. You can't turtle with nw and win but being all offensive is dangerous too. Balance and zoning is the best way to go...as soon as they enter mid screen you have the edge with shoulder, 1221, axe, and f3 and d4.

Offensive pressure
Everyone likes f3 but 1221 is nightwolfs best string and builds tons of meter. All of nightwolfs strings are neutral on block meaning neither person has frame advantage. So u can train your opponent to do anything u want. you can mix in the shoulder after hits 2,3, or 4 causing a mind game. The best part is the shoulder on block is also neutral so it's another chance to cause mind games. After a 1221 shoulder or a 122 shoulder, they might start to crouch the shoulder...when they do you can dash in f3 or my favorite...use the meter you just built to do an eh lightning into 32%. You can also jump kick into shoulder, jip, or if they jump at you just have a hatchet waiting for full combo as listed above.

Another pressure option is using eh axe in strings (Only if you have meter to spare). Doing a f31 or 122 into eh axe again is neutral on block but your closer to your opponent. If the second hit of the axe didn't mess them up you can dash in for another 1221 or a f3 combo to continue pressure. Who ever has the fastest move wins so be careful against a smart reptile player or a character with armor specials and raiden with his teleport or you will get punished...but you can train these characters. You can just block after the 1221 or the eh axe and punish the reptile dash or the Lao spin. Even if the reptile tries the dash, he has to start it at the same time you do the shoulder to win...if they hesitate, they lose.

This is all on block so let's change it to see if the 1221 combo hits. Even b221 or 112 cause stun on hit...this hit stun is ALL DAY so you can walk in and do another pressure sting to start over. They will be blocking after a 1221 hits cause if they don't you get 38-40%. You can mix up his strings so well because of how safe they are and because of his specials that are so safe. Try mixing up if they block everything, f3 (pause) f312 shoulder, dash in 1221 shoulder, jump kick shoulder, dash jump punch 1, 122 shoulder, dash f3b4. That shit will confuse the hell out of anyone. Don't forget grabs...grab is guaranteed damage and again...neutral. So after a knockdown it's a race to see who hits first.

F3 properties
F3 is a high mid that touches a blocking opponent no matter if standing or crouching. It's not a low so if they stand block it causes block stun and 2% chip. If comes out fast and stuffs a ton of wakeups. Not all but a bunch. I like using d3 into f3, d4 into f3 and jab 1 into f3. F3 goes over low attacks when timed right and is a great counter to characters like mileena and baraka who space with d4 a lot.

Arrow Trap

The arrow trap works like a 50/50 but ha plusses and minuses. It works off of 2 strings and gives you either a combo or an eh lightning combo. The strings are 122 arrow or b22 arrow. The arrow on hit causes 20 frames of stun that gives NW the chance to either dash in for another combo or start an eh lightning. The opponent needs to decide before the 20 frames is up what they will do. Their choice is either jump to avoid lightning or block to avoid a combo.

We will use b22 for example and regular arrow...the same works with eh arrow which I'll show you below.
Scenario one: opponent decides to jump the eh lightning and eats a combo
Jip b22 arrow (19%) dash 122 full combo(38%) = 57% no meter

Scenario two: opponent decides to block the combo and eats lightning
Jip b22 arrow(19%) eh lightning combo (33%) = 52% one meter
*on a regular one meter combo with the Sam starter you get 47%
*on a regular no meter combo with same starter you get 42%

eh arrow:
Jip B22 eh arrow(27%) 122 axe...(38%) = 66% one meter

Jip b22 eh arrow(27%) eh lightning combo(33%) = 60% 2 meter

It becomes a guessing game that can be risky, but has HIGH reward. NW highest two meter combo is 52% so by doing this you now have the chance to get 60% +. And if you can get them to guess wrong you can get almost 70%. If you end your combo in an uppercut you can get even more. So for example, if I read my opponent right...

Jip b22 eh arrow(27) dash 122axe b2 axe 1 d2(34) eh lightning 1x5 122 shoulder (27) = 88% 2 meter

Or

Jip b22 eh arrow(27) dash 122 axe axe b2 eh axe 1 d2 (41) eh lightning 1x5 122 shoulder (27) = 95% 3 meter

Or

Jip b22 arrow(19) eh lightning b2 axe 1 d2(28) eh lightning 1x5(27) = 74%

*This is the power of nightwolf...This is what makes him dangerous.*

Some people think it is easy to escape but they are the good guessers. Everyone falls eventually.

Worst case scenario I get...
Jip b22eh arrow(27) dash 1 dash 1 d3 f3 grab(or some variation) for 40%ish give or take a few...all that with the chance of getting a new combo if you let go of block at the wrong time.

Escaping the arrow trap

Some people think they can escape the eh lightning but here is the truth. With 20 frames of stun and a 31 frame start up, the opponent has 11 frames to get out. But with ground proximity on eh lightning it will still hit you 5-8 frames into your jump depending on how and what type of jump. This means you have 11 minus 5 or 8 giving you between 3-6 frames to escape. So after the recovery, if I havnt already started a block string, if you even touch the block button for more than 1 frame, getting out of the eh lightning becomes impossible.

Defensive strats
Reflect is always a good option, but a kitana who never throws a fan is still tough to beat. This makes it hard for nw to rely on this alone. I don't usually reflect EVERY projectile, tend to let them think it's ok to throw them cause that's when I can capitalize. I reflect some and I duck some then when the right one comes I reflect into eh lightning then shoulder or if they are close enough combo for close to half their life.

Eh shoulder goes full screen and the first half has armor so getting in with that is great. After a shoulder knockdown, sometimes I'll back dash and throw out a eh shoulder because it puts me right back on them and gives me 12%.

If they get tired of waiting for you and they come in and jump you have it easy...you can shoulder, axe, choke, uppercut, back dash 1221 when they land, back dash jump in...etc. If they are dash blocking in you can throw out a shoulder because they are blocking it will connect and you will be safe. You can also dash in (they won't expect it) and grab or start pressure stings. Eh lightning works well if they dash in and duck to avoid shoulder...so does f3 for that matter.

Something fun to do is doing a shoulder to get under them...if u are getting close to a wall you can get out by shouldering your way out. You can also shoulder over them if they are on the ground after a knockdown and they stay there for a minute.

Getting out of pressure

Blocking is your friend. Wait for them to jump and then capitalize with your many options. If they keep crossing you up use eh choke to get out or njp. You can also use shoulder to get out along as you can input it before they cross the midline of your body. If they don't jump and your dealing with Kung Lao type pressure or kabal, use eh shoulder(risky), or d3 or better yet d1 to axe for spacing and a possible combo. Dive kick characters make nw zoning with shoulder and axe hard so you need to be ready with d1 to axe.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
This second post will be saved for tourney vids. I will post mine and any other high level vids people post of nightwolf. Thanks in advance. Here is one of me at evo.

Nw vs ermac

Nw vs cyrax

Nw vs mileena

Atlanta revival Grand Finals
Atl redd and atl batman VS L0rdoftheFLY and Pig of the hut

Impact Clash ATL long video of matches but LOTF(NW) vs Chris G (reptile) at 33:20

Game Galaxy tournament NW vs Raiden

ATL Level Up Group LOTF vs Batman part 1

Part 2

Nightwolf vs cage and kenshi THE_SNKE vs Jack Burton

Battle and Brew winners finals
LOTF (NW) VS Clint the Beast (noob, jax, Sonya)

Battle and Brew Grand Finals
LOTF (NW) VS Atl Redd (Smoke, Lui Kang)

CEO Orlando
Big D (NW) VS Reptile

Lyuben

Sinestro's might!
Sticky this?

And good guide so far. Any guides on reflect? How to use? When to use? I notice that nightwolfs often do a lightning right after reflecting. Is that something you advice?

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Lyuben said:
And good guide so far. Any guides on reflect? How to use? When to use? I notice that nightwolfs often do a lightning right after reflecting. Is that something you advice?
The lightning is guaranteed in some circumstances. For example, if Nightwolf reflects Kung Lao's low hat and the low hat connects, lightning is free.

I will comment in detail later.

Good stuff, FLY,

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
Thanks Dave.

Reflect updated. Updates everyday until complete. Please post combos also if you have higher damaging combos than I out up please let me know.

Lyuben

Sinestro's might!
Would you recommend adding lots of little 1's to juggle the opponent or just do one and then 122 as seen in most combos. I feel that it is high risk for low reward. Risk being dropping the combo. Reward being 1 or 2% damage.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
The combos I listed in the guide have the max damage possible. Smetimes adding a jab 1 takes away damage but in the combos listed it only adds damage. If you practice enough the jabs will become easy and u won't drop them. Here are easy combos but I chose the best combos for winning.

B22axe b2 eh axe b2 choke 41% one meter and easy.
F31axe axe ff1 ff1 ff12 choke 34%

Putting a single ff1 into Nightwolf's midscreen BnBs seems to actually help with completing them. Without it, the opponent is usually juggled too high by the 122 to be hit by the shoulder at the end. Any more than that is (for me) too much risk for too little reward.

Side question: is the part of the guide explaining how to guarantee an en lightning after a shoulder knockdown not up yet? Because I read what's posted so far, and while you mention it, I don't see anything explaining how to ensure it hits 100%

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
Its there...it's never a guarantee. Characters like mil and Kung Lao can always get out of it unless you condition them to sit there. And it's never 100% guarantee.

Fair enough. I was going by TomBrady's guide, which says, "After standard shoulder hits, :en lightning is guaranteed, unless the opponent has an advancing invincible wake up attack. After the shoulder hits, you hesitate one second, then :en lightning, and if they roll back, try to stay grounded, or even just try to get up and jump, the :en lightning will connect. The opponent must have a fast advancing wake up attack to get out of this trap. Not only do very VERY few characters have the ability to escape this trap, but the few that can get out must commit to the wake up attack, allowing Nightwolf to block and punish. If you notice the opponent does not ever tech the shoulder knockdown, then dash :en lightning to move yourself closer, so that you can get a full combo after the launch."

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
He is right mostly except I'm not gonna give you any absolutes here...me and brady had a long talk on the phone before evo about nghtwolf and i based my gameplay off of what he told me. I've done eh lightning and had it miss because Tom said it was guaranteed. Treat it like it's not free but treat it like a mind game and you will land it more.

N0rdicNinja

Digital Pro Sports
Just to throw it out there, I haven't tested it with another player at the controller yet, but I think Lightning is guaranteed if you successfully connect with a F2. I've been using F2 a lot to close the distance on people and it seems to consistently catch people off guard, it's range is actually quite far. And after it connects I've NEVER missed with the Lightning. But again, I've never sat down and tested it with someone trying to escape it in various ways. In training at least with the dummy set to jump it can't do it in time. I'll be able to test it on Tuesday unless someone wants to / can test it earlier.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
Just to throw it out there, I haven't tested it with another player at the controller yet, but I think Lightning is guaranteed if you successfully connect with a F2. I've been using F2 a lot to close the distance on people and it seems to consistently catch people off guard, it's range is actually quite far. And after it connects I've NEVER missed with the Lightning. But again, I've never sat down and tested it with someone trying to escape it in various ways. In training at least with the dummy set to jump it can't do it in time. I'll be able to test it on Tuesday unless someone wants to / can test it earlier.
In the guide there is a part labeled "more for fun but not overly practical eh lightning combos". In this section it outlines combos you can do after a landed f2. I don't recommend using f2 randomly at high-level play but only after a landed jump punch. Yes an eh lightning is guaranteed after f2 but the move hits high and it can be ducked blocking or not allowing your opponent to do most anything they want if you miss. Another good thing about nightwolfs f2 and all combos is that on hit, the stun gives you enormous advantage so a block string follow up is totally safe and a great time to build some meter.Your better off keeping the same spacing and doing b22 combos or dash f3 or even shoulder to close distance rather than f2 though.

Yea duh...I just realized. Why use f2 when you can use shoulder and cover more distance and get a knockdown? Yea shoulder is the better option. F2 is just for looks but not very practical...sorry

N0rdicNinja

Digital Pro Sports
In the guide there is a part labeled "more for fun but not overly practical eh lightning combos". In this section it outlines combos you can do after a landed f2. I don't recommend using f2 randomly at high-level play but only after a landed jump punch. Yes an eh lightning is guaranteed after f2 but the move hits high and it can be ducked blocking or not allowing your opponent to do most anything they want if you miss. Another good thing about nightwolfs f2 and all combos is that on hit, the stun gives you enormous advantage so a block string follow up is totally safe and a great time to build some meter.Your better off keeping the same spacing and doing b22 combos or dash f3 or even shoulder to close distance rather than f2 though.

Yea duh...I just realized. Why use f2 when you can use shoulder and cover more distance and get a knockdown? Yea shoulder is the better option. F2 is just for looks but not very practical...sorry
I agree it shouldn't be spammed but a dash followed by an F2 will cover about 3/4 of the screen, it will catch people off guard if sparsely thrown out. Using shoulder all the time to close distance is just as easily countered.

Lyuben

Sinestro's might!
Can you give some corner combos or some x-ray combos?

For corner I usually do my normal midscreen except add one or two more 1's to juggle and use a choke instead of a charge. I've also seen people do f312 looped but the timing seems strict.

For x-rays the best Ive ever gotten is 55%. What is the best x-ray and is it ever worth it?

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
Corner combos are coming. Xray combos are not worth it but I have his highest damage one listed.

Nordic ninja...shoulder covers more distance and has faster recovery and less start up. Yea it's easily countered but shoulder makes the use of f2 not needed.

N0rdicNinja

Digital Pro Sports
It's hard to recommend using X-Rays with NW, he's got great damage normally and his BnB juggles can get pretty damn close to his X-Ray combos with regard to damage. As stated above his enhanced specials are extremely useful and should be used, combine that with breakers and it seems very risky to throw all your meter into an X-Ray combo that nets you a little more damage then normal...

RoBoBOBR

evil beaver
Can you clarify something - d1 combos into hatchet versus standing opponent? Or do you have to hit them while they're in the air?

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
For a combo in the air. D1 into axe also creates space allowing you to think if it's blocked. So after a blocked Kung Lao low hat on pressure, d1 into axe will either hit, or the d1 hits and the axe is blocked pushing Lao back and giving nw space.

After a mileena eh teleport, d1 into axe will combo if she is still in the air giving nw a combo and mil something to think about before she tries that again.

For the en lightning traps, i usually dash forward and then en lightning after a knock down. That gives the right amount of delay needed and allows you to get close to do a full combo. Also, any chance you have some tourny vids?

DeathTouch

Iceman
i like 1221 combo on hit cause it gives me very often a free throw plus the string builds meter. Im a sub player and I dont know NW as much as sub but I'm very grateful for this guide LordoftheFLY cause im liking NW very much. His Strings are absolutely brilliant and all safe on block..