What's new

Match Footage Nightwing Video Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sajam

Nightwing In Retirement
So NightwingDayZero and I played about an hour, or 25 games of NW mirrors last night on his stream: Here

For any of you guys who want to see some solid NW, this set should keep you on hold for a while IMO. I'm posting this to the matchup thread as well because it should hopefully help with the mirror. I have a bunch of experience in it, and I think it showed a bit.

Cosmic_Castaway

Flying Grayson
That is my shit right there. I am in love with NW flip kick setups, and I'll run that shit all day <3.
Dawg I hope you realize I'm stealing the hell out of that lol. Probably the dirtiest left-right I've seen in a while. There was something else I wanted to ask you, but....now I forget.

Cosmic_Castaway

Flying Grayson
Sajam now I remember.

Why do you do b3, b3 for your unclashable combo as opposed to b3, f3? I always end in f3 because it leaves them way closer to continue pressure.

Sajam

Nightwing In Retirement
Sajam now I remember.

Why do you do b3, b3 for your unclashable combo as opposed to b3, f3? I always end in f3 because it leaves them way closer to continue pressure.
Because I don't want to be anywhere near Grundy if I can.

I'd end in f3 if I needed the pressure, or b3 if I want space/setups. Against Grundy though, I wanted to maintain space. My goal in that matchup was to bait him into doing mb swamp hands from full screen and to try and switch up my zoning often (all the stance switches I did in zoning) so he couldn't really get a read on me. That matchup is really fun, really interesting, and really hard if you let him walk all over you. I'll do a write up for Grundy/GL/BA soon and post it in the matchup section. I said I'd do it before, but I feel more confident now and I'm gonna get it done.

Cosmic_Castaway

Flying Grayson
Because I don't want to be anywhere near Grundy if I can.

I'd end in f3 if I needed the pressure, or b3 if I want space/setups. Against Grundy though, I wanted to maintain space. My goal in that matchup was to bait him into doing mb swamp hands from full screen and to try and switch up my zoning often (all the stance switches I did in zoning) so he couldn't really get a read on me. That matchup is really fun, really interesting, and really hard if you let him walk all over you. I'll do a write up for Grundy/GL/BA soon and post it in the matchup section. I said I'd do it before, but I feel more confident now and I'm gonna get it done.
Well yeah against Grundy I can see that being the case, but you also did it in the NW mirror. Maybe our approaches to the mirror are different but I just like to rush other NWs and not let them get into staff stance. Then again I'm probably the most rush-heavy NW right now anyway.

Until someone picks Flash anyway. >.>

Sent from the Batcave

Sajam

Nightwing In Retirement
Well yeah against Grundy I can see that being the case, but you also did it in the NW mirror. Maybe our approaches to the mirror are different but I just like to rush other NWs and not let them get into staff stance. Then again I'm probably the most rush-heavy NW right now anyway.

Until someone picks Flash anyway. >.>

Sent from the Batcave
I like having space in the mirror also. Maintaing spacing in the mirror is really important, and is key to doing well. I only do f3 if I have a specific reason for it or want a different setup than b3. I have more mixups off of b3 made up than I do for f3 also, so even if I wanted pressure I might go for that instead. I play NW offensively also, but I always set my escrima offense up with ground spark first. Ground spark dash cancel is his best tool for closing distance on lots of characters when used well.

If you saw me fighting somebody like GL or Sinestro then my playstyle would be significantly different than either of those matchups.

NightwingDayZero

Truth, justice and the American way.
So NightwingDayZero and I played about an hour, or 25 games of NW mirrors last night on his stream: Here

For any of you guys who want to see some solid NW, this set should keep you on hold for a while IMO. I'm posting this to the matchup thread as well because it should hopefully help with the mirror. I have a bunch of experience in it, and I think it showed a bit.

AK Pig Of The Hut

Watch me get bopped in this mirror.

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
Some corpse hop/setup stuff with escrima. Lots of my setups/mixups are shown off in this, even if it's just for a second.

This is pretty amazing. What was the button notation for some of this? I actually had trouble visually following some of this tricky stuff. Love it!

ruff321

Noob
:55 b2 3 df2 delay b2 to put into corner
1:10 j2 mb db3 j3 112 df2 u3
2:57 b2 db3 j2

starting from 4:17
b2 3 df2 b2

from here you can either do
ground spark(db2)

or cancel ground spark by dashing forward and throw OR MB flip kick(db3) OR f3(I prefer the MB to negate wake ups)

NightwingDayZero

So I spent the other day learning the GL matchup under @Sajam's tutelage. It's looking a little bit less desperate, but I have yet to refine my new found knowledge, and I have yet to test it against my local Green Lantern, who's ring seems to be made of Nightwing kryptonite.

The match footage starts around 1:50:00 against TYM's very own THTB. Listen to me be salty about everything beating my d1 +3 frame trap. Auto corrected d2's whiffing and getting blown up. My apologies to THTB for all the salty commentary. I haaaaaaaateeeee the Green Lantern MU. You were awesome just to have given me the experience I need.

http://www.twitch.tv/nightwingdayzero/b/454104382

Here are some notes that I have taken for myself, by myself. I am very critical of myself when referring to myself. My language can be a bit....colorful.

Green Lantern MU Notes.

Stop freaking out about character select screen. Fuck all the characters. Less defeatist. More skullfucking.

Spacing on Air Oa is critical. Watch that shit.

F2 F21 F213 Flip Kick. People have seen stance cancels enough.

Less wingding. Much less. Like none. Trying to get air turbined?! Fucking retard.

J2 to punish Air Oa. No more d2. No more B2. J2 to catch it out.

Block B12 idiot. Giving away the match. Fucking window licker.

Stance cancels. Drill them. Be faster. Stop getting caught holding that shit like a fucking mouthbreather.

Stop running into Air Oas like a fucking test tube baby. Commit and dash.

Play more lame. Be a little fucker. Screw GL. Make him work for this 6-4.

The damage you take making risks to avoid interactables, is less than you would take just eating the fucking thing. Chill the fuck out about 20%. What's Green Lantern really going to set up on you?

Be aggressive in scouting Air Oas. Stop getting punked out by this bullshit move.

More spark cancels. You don't have to commit to ripping them. Make him think about it.

Movement is critical in this MU. Spark cancels and dashes need to be on point. He might have one of the best walkspeeds in the game, but he can't dash in and out when it counts. Well, you can't backdash because b1, but fuck it. Go in. Press buttons.

How to punish blocked turbine? Figure it out.

If you use the piano interactable, and they are knocked into the wall when hit by it, the piano will hit them again. 40% interactable. They must be in the air at full screen for this to happen. When it does - it's glorious.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
NightwingDayZero I had no sound on laptop + stream off + mic off, so I couldn't hear anything you were saying lol. A lot of it was goofy, too, because of our connection to each other. Blocking b12 had nothing to do with not reacting lol...I couldn't even get my wakeups out at one point, so that part, I wouldn't scream over.

The dash under part is a big deal, and I'm starting to reconsider the matchup a lot. I didn't expect it to be as effective. I think the matchup's closer to 5-5 now.

Turbine is hard to punish when done at max range, though, at least for NW. Outside of that, b2 should be a reliable punish.

NightwingDayZero

NightwingDayZero I had no sound on laptop + stream off + mic off, so I couldn't hear anything you were saying lol. A lot of it was goofy, too, because of our connection to each other. Blocking b12 had nothing to do with not reacting lol...I couldn't even get my wakeups out at one point, so that part, I wouldn't scream over.

The dash under part is a big deal, and I'm starting to reconsider the matchup a lot. I didn't expect it to be as effective. I think the matchup's closer to 5-5 now.

Turbine is hard to punish when done at max range, though, at least for NW. Outside of that, b2 should be a reliable punish.

Your mixups are infinitely safer than NW's considering NW's wakeups. Every wakeup. Blown up by nj3.

Meanwhile, we still have to read Lantern's Might and Turbine gets you out of most crossups free.

Not mentioning the risks we're taking in dashing in, if we commit to early, or if you fuck up the input on oa's rocket, you still get j1 - and that will blow up our momentum going in.

That in itself keeps this 6-4.

Sajam

Nightwing In Retirement
I make almost all of my local GL players hate this matchup, because if they win it should be a pain in the ass for them. Ground sparks mean he can't walk in free, and ground spark dash cancels forward under air rocket means he has to be scared about using them. Don't let him air rocket for free, make sure you punish it, or at least get free pressure. Once you are under it you can j2 and confirm into whatever you want. You beat GL for free in escrima at full screen, so make sure you maintain that distance, unless you feel like you need to do something else. I feel like 90% of this matchup is about misdirection and tricking your opponent. Suddenly stance canceling to staff for a mb ground blast after not using it in zoning all game is the kind of stuff I go for.

You should never, ever be opened up by Gl without the mixup being ridiculous. His basic high/low game isn't enough to crack you, and teching throws isn't a problem (Plus, eating a throw instead of a b13/f3 is better anyway). Your pressure works well on GL, and you have lots of ways to time jump ins that avoid lift on wakeup. His b13 rocket pressure can be dashed on reaction, and everything else after is easy to deal with. If you see him trait cancel, then you should be d1'ing. If he does trait cancel into lift, then you might get hit, but you just learned a lot about the person you are playing.

In footsie range, don't try contest b13. Either get out of it's range with a jump back, or down back and wait for him to do it. Don't get stuck in the limbo in between and get hit for free. That moment where you decide if you should do something or not is gonna be what gets you hit. B2 is probably only going to be useful for setups/punishing lifts at a far distance in this matchup.

In general, don't let him get away with zoning you or walking backwards. He should be forced to come in, and then you can get away with whatever you want. Approaching GL is usually suicide, so making him come to you is a huge gift in this matchup.

Status
Not open for further replies.