What's new

Tech Nightwing Meterless Escrima Vortex Using BGBs + Anti-Wake-up Setup

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
(MAJOR UPDATE: Updated Wake-ups section - a well-timed J2 makes most wake-ups whiff)

To celebrate @AK L0rdoftheFLY Getting On That Stick, I am sharing a meterless vortex in Escrima using the Background Bounces.

This is inspired by the tech @HeroesNZ found in which if you whiff the first hit in 113, you get a close knock down, and you can cross up with j3 and make wakeups whiff. (http://testyourmight.com/threads/dark-justice-anti-wakeup-setup.43399/)

Starting the setup:
In any combo, if you get in the BGB area, do 1 xx R1, then hit (11)3 with whiffing the first 2 hits. This will result in your opponent falling right in the sweet jump distance.

The mixup:
After the knockdown, jump in and hit either 2, 1 (very late) or 3. J2 will cross-up, but J1 and J3 won't. This is very ambiguous and there's no way you can react to it. A true 50/50.

The vortex (looping):
You can easily loop this by switching your direction and keeping the combo going in the BGB area. I showed a couple of examples on how to do that.

Wake-ups:
A well timed J2 will make most of the wake-ups whiff, granting you a free punish. They can't dash out of (forward nor backwards). If the wakeup doesn't have invincibility it will get stuffed by J2. Characters like BG and Superman can't hit you on wake-up at all:

You can also make the wake-ups whiff by doing an empty jump after the knockdown.

Inb4 I prefer the corner carry.

Enjoy.

@DarthArma (there you go, you're officially one of us now) @gpmoney @EMPR_MURK @EMPEROR PRYCE @FOREVER EL1TE @TakeAChance @AssassiN @RM Chongo @I am tired of tagging

Last edited:

TKB

Noob
Eeeh this debate will never be settled. I think most of us just agree that a vortex is a situation that could loop into itself. It doesn't necessarily mean standing resets.
I agree with this, if you can loop it over and over and it forces your opponent to guess(whether that be to block high/low/crossup or to wakeup or not) then it pretty much is a vortex. Just not the "traditional" idea of a vortex. Cool tech btw

Shaazzyam

undefeated online evo champion
I agree with this, if you can loop it over and over and it forces your opponent to guess(whether that be to block high/low/crossup or to wakeup or not) then it pretty much is a vortex. Just not the "traditional" idea of a vortex. Cool tech btw
Except if you wake up with invincible advancing specials you don't have to really guess anything.

Shaazzyam

You have to guess the direction, mate.
J2 reverses the input directions.
Jeez do you guys even read the OP?

Do the same video, except don't use the character with one of the worst wakeups in the game.

Try it on DD, DS, BG, Flash Lex Luthor, Superman or Wonder Woman.

Braindead

Do the same video, except don't use the character with one of the worst wakeups in the game.

Try it on DD, DS BG, Flash Lex Luthor, Superman or Wonder Woman.
Dude, it reverses the input direction. It doesn't matter which character. Nightwing's J2 crosses up before the character's wake-up window begins.

Braindead

Dude, it reverses the input direction. It doesn't matter which character. Nightwing's J2 crosses up before the character's wake-up window begins.
TBH I think there might be a very, very tight window (a couple of frames) in which you can wakeup with regular directions if you don't jump in too quickly. But it's really tough to enter your inputs in that tight window.

Braindead

Those characters I listed have option select wakeups.
Ah sorry then. Well yeah messing with wake-up options doesn't work against the entire cast apparently. That doesn't mean that DD isn't a beast in the corner though.

Shaazzyam

Shazzy-kun please. Either way, characters without option-select wakeups have to guess which means that they're in a 50/50 situation that loops back into itself. It's a character-specific vortex.
Lol bro, then technically everyone has a "vortex" on Joker KD.

I think the tech is fine, but it's not really a vortex. It's a jump-in setup.