What's new

Next MK Probably Won’t Have Character Variations

just_2swift

MK1 is the best MK period.
no no no.....Variations in MKX were cohesive and made sense for the most part. Variations in MK11 did not make sense... They completely striped down each character's base kit where you NEEDED to add back the 3 slots to make a semi whole character. Even then the characters never felt completely whole to me. A million different options of special moves that you can swap out does not make the base kit of a character whole. I want the combo system of MKX back...krushing blows deleted. I would even be fine with fatal blows being deleted and having some new kind of innovative tools.
That's what I said... MKX was the ceiling for it. Them trying to reinvent the wheel for it in mk11 was horrible. Let MKX have it's luster. I shouldn't have been mk11 vocal point or part of it period.

MuMuGuy

Noob
That's what I said... MKX was the ceiling for it. Them trying to reinvent the wheel for it in mk11 was horrible. Let MKX have it's luster. I shouldn't have been mk11 vocal point or part of it period.
Most of the characters in MKX had at least 2 viable Variations, which allowed more flexibility on how to play a character. Most of the characters in MK11 were punching bags without a specific loadout, or at least had two slots accounted for. Several characters basically couldn’t combo without specific abilities equipped and/or their Armor Breaking move had to be equipped.

The emphasis on Custom Variations during the pre-launch marketing left a sour taste in many players’ mouths because Custom Variations were banned from Kombat League and tournaments until damn near the final update. That only exacerbated the point of many characters feeling half-baked until the game was basically finalized.

EDIT: Custom Variations still suck in Kasual. Lots of people cheat and used banned abilities since the game is no longer relevant in the competitive sector.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
I'm cool with that. I never liked the weapons and 3 move sets or variation systems. I mean they were ok.. it wasn't a deal breaker or anything... but I would prefer to have all that effort just put into single characters and possibly more characters in total on the roster.

If I was them and wanted to keep a remnant of this idea I would copy Street Fighter and have a kind of global variation that just changes how the meter works or the finishing movie or something.

I like variations. Especially back in MKX

What we have now really just repurposing what they retooled them to be to fit IJ2's gear system which I did not like. It's too open now, but I'm not mad at it
That changed the system to MK11 style as fans wanted it. Go look at the old MKX posts about variations.. most of them are asking to be able to pick whatever ones you wanted.. which is exactly what we got in MK11.

The fans of MK are such complainy-pants that they forget that 1/2 the things they bitch about in the next version of the game is the exact thing they were begging for in the last version of the game. The variation system in MK11 is a good exmaple.

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium
Most of the characters in MKX had at least 2 viable Variations, which allowed more flexibility on how to play a character. Most of the characters in MK11 were punching bags without a specific loadout, or at least had two slots accounted for. Several characters basically couldn’t combo without specific abilities equipped and/or their Armor Breaking move had to be equipped.

The emphasis on Custom Variations during the pre-launch marketing left a sour taste in many players’ mouths because Custom Variations were banned from Kombat League and tournaments until damn near the final update. That only exacerbated the point of many characters feeling half-baked until the game was basically finalized.

EDIT: Custom Variations still suck in Kasual. Lots of people cheat and used banned abilities since the game is no longer relevant in the competitive sector.
For the custom variation piece, dont forget: they dropped it out of nowhere with basically no fanfare in the Ultimate update and then MADE NO NOTABLE ATTEMPTS AT BALANCING IT GOING FORWARD.

I'm still so miffed that MK11 could have been the ultimate matchup machine with characters having options, counter-options, niche combos, entirely different game plans, etc.; but instead, all we got was Kitana up fan dead on arrival, giga tornado Cetrion, and hurt feelings knee jerk reaction over nerfing Sheeva. That, and 2-4 moves at most per character being worth using alongside certain variation combos being the objectively best combos like Cetrion and Kabal.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
I also feel that early on they sold custom variations being something they weren't. I might have just mis-read stuff, but initially I had the impression that they were going to start with 2 "tournament" variations for each character and then work their way up to 4-5 per character. I also thought they would do more to change or adjust moves and slots over time, or even add moves.

Lot of ways they could have made custom variations cooler, but didn't. Maybe it just ended up being too much work. Seems like they left a lot of value on the floor.

quandaghost

kung lao swag walker
Great variations need to go. They did nothing good for game. The created characters that were shells of themselves and took the identity of the characters. In 11 it was just way too bad to justify coming back. Characters having moves too good to justify how many slots they took up. Characters no matter how you sliced them needed moves to be viable. Certain variation moves not even providing any value what so ever to the characters. All the character essentially playing the same due to them needing to be bland for the varitations to dictate the playstyle. MK9 is broken but atleast in that game when you played a character you felt like you were playing a unique character. I'd rather have something broken than something where I feel every match is meh and not exciting, or where I feel like im forced to play something with a character bc I either cant bc of slots, or cant bc my character wouldnt function bc they didnt balance the move around the character but the character around certain moves

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Imagine looking at other 2D fighters such as SF and GG and assuming because they don’t have 50 different strings and 15 specials each that the game is lacking depth, or that the devs are taking the “easy way out” lol.

Fun fact, pouring a million useless moves onto a character doesn’t increase their depth. I can see why NRS didn’t decide to keep you on their payroll.
Idk why so many people can’t disagree without being a dickhead about it. And you even have a good point but muddied it up for no reason whatsoever.