What's new

Question - Hollywood Newbie looking for some advice / help

I've been playing Cassie Cage for the most part, started off with brawler but after watching high level players in tournaments, they have really opened my eyes to the flashiness that is Hollywood corner combos.

As I live in Korea and there isn't much of a crowd for MKX here, i mostly play offline with my cousin and sometimes online with a few other fans (one other guy for the most part)

My cousin plays Kung Lao and the other guy plays Liu Kang.

Now the reason for this drawn out background is because I get bodied a LOT. and part of it has to do with my skill level, but I've been trying to emulate tournament players (although these days, SonicFox seems to be the only one playing Cassie at tourneys) in how they build pressure for Cassie's 50/50s. And the main thing i've learned while watching is to build pressure by mixing up her plus strings (i.e 212, 332, JI1 or 2, etc.) which should open up the opponent for either F3, D+F1, Standing 2 or B2 starter. However I am constantly being beat by Lao's D4 or Kang's D3.

I will focus the rest on Lao, since that is who I play most of the time.

My cousin, even though he bodies me most of the time, he doesn't do anything technical advanced, he always builds pressure with D4 to NJP to D4 to NJP to D4 to dive kick to B32 to D4. When he hits a spin, easy for him to confirm into a simple combo. And the funny thing is, he will sometimes play predator and do the almost the same exact thing, D4 to NJP to D4 to 21 to D4 to Scimitar.

I'm ranting right now.. but it's really frustrating cause it seems that I cannot poke out of his plus strings (which may or may not be plus, i am not entirely sure tbh) and yet things that I've learned from watching the pros don't seem to work on him.

so my questions is, how do you deal with D4 into NJP pressure? especially in the corner.

Sorry for the long winded question.

B. Shazzy

NRS shill #42069
I was reading your post and nodding my head til you said your loses came "D4 to NJP"...?

I'm confused because you seem to understand high level Cassie play but don't realize how to deal with something like that? Maybe you mean another move...?

Hitting literally any button after D4 should work, man

I was reading your post and nodding my head til you said your loses came "D4 to NJP"...?

I'm confused because you seem to understand high level Cassie play but don't realize how to deal with something like that? Maybe you mean another move...?

Hitting literally any button after D4 should work, man
see that is why I am sooo confused myself. I will poke with D3 just to get out of pressure after D4 only to get hit by NJP... or dive kick (although dive kick, i can understand... i think)

I don't know will mashing on D3 / D1 help? If i mash buttons how can i set up the next string i want to do? I mean literally the reason why I am so salty over losing to this is cause I hear my cousin just mashing the buttons.... literally mashing them... and I mean we've been playing almost from day 1. But i kept trying my best to level up without getting too salty and do my best to figure things out... but now.. i'm kind of sick of it.

If i get an opportunity I will try capturing footage... maybe I just am not good and only understand theoretically (i accept that this may be the case)