What's new

New Universal OS found by Noble Raptor

Noble Raptor, creator of the Kombat Akademy and NRS walkthrough guru has found a universal OS that can make any string in the game safe on block. Yes, any string, any character. He has two videos up with places this will be more useful with other people dropping examples in the comments.

In the video above, you can see it in action. Basically, you cancel out the ending frames of a string by hitting a button before and after the last hit. If they block, the string is canceled out and you just get a hit. If they don't, it just comes out normally. So yeah, that seems pretty good. You can test it out yourself and see what success you can have with it, but this seems to really help Scorpion and characters with stagger based pressure.

Comments

I don't get it. I understand what's happening but the explanation how to do it doesn't make sense to me

EDIT

Kompetitor in the comments clarifies- it seems to be "plinking" whatever other button right after the first, and delaying whatever the second button in the string is

Last edited:
This sounds busted as hell. For instance, Sub-Zero's unsafe overhead string would be made safe by doing something like F2, Block-4-Block. That ain't right!

This is gold. Can someone explain how to do this. I'm having trouble finding it on his website on my phone and I'm not sure what to do before and after the last hit of the string?

I don’t get how to execute this. You have to press stance switch before and after which button in the string? I need someone to break this down for me in order to fully understand what is happening here.
This OS uses the property that any string can be cancelled by pressing any input before and after the last input of the string.
Lets use sub-zero F24 for example. F24 is unsafe, but F2 is safe at minus 6. Because of the different cancel windows on block and on hit, this allows you to cancel the string at the same time, but F24 on block cancels before the last part of the string comes out, while on hit you cancel the string after the move comes out.

Here is how you practice the OS: First, get the timing down to cancel the string on block. A great starter string to work on is Scorpion's f32. Since it works with any input, you could input f312<delay>1 and the string would cancel. What you are looking for is the perfect timing so the string cancels on block, but not on hit. Then, after you can cancel the string on block, set the AI block to off. Try to get it so f312<delay>1 still comes out on hit, while delaying the final 1 as long as possible. Finally, set the AI to random block, and practice the timing so the string cancels on block but not on hit.

The implications of this OS are game-changing. If someone were to get sub-zero's f24 OS down, or Sonya's b123 OS down, it could make the previously unsafe 50/50's safe.

Note: The timing for this OS is different for every string. Remember, any input can be used for this OS. For example, to cancel Scorpions f32, someone could also do f342<delay>4, or any other input.

This OS uses the property that any string can be cancelled by pressing any input before and after the last input of the string.
Lets use sub-zero F24 for example. F24 is unsafe, but F2 is safe at minus 6. Because of the different cancel windows on block and on hit, this allows you to cancel the string at the same time, but F24 on block cancels before the last part of the string comes out, while on hit you cancel the string after the move comes out.

Here is how you practice the OS: First, get the timing down to cancel the string on block. A great starter string to work on is Scorpion's f32. Since it works with any input, you could input f312<delay>1 and the string would cancel. What you are looking for is the perfect timing so the string cancels on block, but not on hit. Then, after you can cancel the string on block, set the AI block to off. Try to get it so f312<delay>1 still comes out on hit, while delaying the final 1 as long as possible. Finally, set the AI to random block, and practice the timing so the string cancels on block but not on hit.

The implications of this OS are game-changing. If someone were to get sub-zero's f24 OS down, or Sonya's b123 OS down, it could make the previously unsafe 50/50's safe.

Note: The timing for this OS is different for every string. Remember, any input can be used for this OS. For example, to cancel Scorpions f32, someone could also do f342<delay>4, or any other input.
Oh okay, this makes so much more since now. You’re OS’ing the cancel vs finishing the string.

Still can't get this to work consistently. Has anyone managed to explain this in English yet?
DungeonSektor explained it very well. This will take some practice.

Does this work with fatal blows? So like a string/normal cancelled into fatal blow, where the fatal blow only comes out on hit?

So instead of staggering a string, you can just cancel the inputs to make it stagger on block or confirm on hit. This is way more interesting now. I'll try it with Shao's f3 string, looks way easier than trying to hitconfirm f3 by itself.

I don't get it. I understand what's happening but the explanation how to do it doesn't make sense to me

EDIT

Kompetitor in the comments clarifies- it seems to be "plinking" whatever other button right after the first, and delaying whatever the second button in the string is
it isnt plinking bro just hit a button.

I do hope this gets patched out though. I always have and always will dislike option selects.
surprised you didnt know this is a thing. Always has been.
edit: after looking more at how its being used its actually a quite functional way to use this part of the engine that I don't think anyone really touched on before. Pretty dope.

Last edited: