What's new

New To Zod (Need Help on how to cancel string into trait grab)

so ive tried d4 between my strings and all i get is a slash how exactly do you get the cancel into the command grab for block preassure and in combo?

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Here is the guide again for people who still have questions (@Axel_Redd, @Syknis).

You have to slash/swipe first in order to cancel any normal attack/string into the command grab.

1. For one-hitting moves, you swipe first, wait a very short period, press the command and tap and hold d+4. For example, in order to cancel f+2 to bite, you do 4, N, f+2, d+4. "N" stands for "neutral" and requires you not to touch any buttons on the pad for a very short period of time. If you play Tekken, the "N" appears for Kazuya's WGF/EWGF (i.e., f,N,d,d/f+2) and many other moves.

2. For two-hitting strings, you use the so-called "plinking" method. For example, in order to cancel f+2,1 to bite, you do 4~f+2,1~d+4 as a quick succession.

3. For three-hitting strings, you swipe in between the string, usually the last hit. For example, in order to cancel 1,2,3 to bite, you do 1~2~4~3~d+4 as a quick succession.

In addition, the command grab can be canceled into from a forward or back dash. You can take advantage of this cancel by doing a full screen mix up between fully far charged low laser and a dash canceled bite, or even up close after any string. The fastest way to cancel into the command grab is to do the following.

Tap and hold 2 after performing low laser and quickly tap b~b~d+4 (while still holding 2).

You can easily execute everything on a PS2 pad. No arcade stick needed.

Last edited:

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
i still only get fucking swipes
U have to enter these inputs as true block strings

Easiest is 4b12d4

Roll your finger across 12 if u press 12 it won't work

YOU MUST ENTER IT IS ONE TRUE BLOCK STRING

Enter it fast as if u were hitting his 112 string.

4 f2 d4 is same timing but divided 3 ways instead of 4 in terms of time between inputs

M2Dave

Zoning Master
i try it and still cant gettit i press them all fast and still swipe
Perhaps Pig can make a video so you can see and hear the inputs.

These cancels are not easy, but you should be able to discover the timing with enough practice.

Axel_Redd

Vampire Jesus....he wants YOUR blood now!!
i managed to get it, now i just gotta get it to the point where its second nature.

I can help out a bit, while your monster is recovering from a swipe, you must quickly input the command (ex- F2) and then press and hold D4. It should look like 42~D4

Every string is different so you have to adjust accordingly, so if you're doing something like 214B12~4, you do 21, pause a bit, hit 4, and quickly input B12 and press and hold D4. Same stuff with 12, F2 213, 11, etc.

Basically the visual cue is when he hits the opponent and reaches his hand back.

Hopefully this helped.

Axel_Redd

Vampire Jesus....he wants YOUR blood now!!
also if you can how to iaZodball
Use something other than a standard controller thats your best bet, u have to keep your thumb in a really awkward spot to consistantly pull them off. It ends up being more of a streetfighter kinda motion than an MK or IGAU one. I Press up and immediately roll my thumb in a half circle back type of motion.

also...that inspired me to make a new meme:

"DO U EVEN ZODBALL BRUH?!"

I've been wanting to learn zod's trait grab stuff for a while but just said screw it. I can easily do the grabs based on Dave and Pig's first couple posts here so its pretty consistent if you just experiment and work the timing a little bit lads.

i got most of them exept f2 d4
you have to basicaly input the string wait a bit like you wait for linkinking specials and have the d4 holding before the last hit of the string hits

4 f2 d4 is a little weird but if you succeed in doing it pay attention to its rhythm and try to input it that way. its the only one that requires that you dont just roll it out you have to time the spacing between swipe and f2 a bit

The Farmer

Gunslinger since pre ptch -Shout out 2 Youphs 2015
Alot of this stuff takes alot of practice. You will not be able to just sit in practice mode the first time and just start firing off these inputs with success. It took me ALOT of time to does these inputs consistently. Everyone has a different learning curve. I am by no means a top player, but I am able to complete these with successful results by taking @SimSim @General M2Dave and @AK Pig Of The Hut advice at face value and then figuring out a lot of the intricacies myself. Best of luck, and you will succeed in time, especially if I can LOL.