What's new

New to UMK3

hey guys im totally new to UMK3, well not totally new i used to play it when i was like 10 years old, anyways i am gonna try to play at a competitive level. Right now i am playing on an SNES emulator with my xbox 360 controller/arcade stick. I was playing against the computer and it was horrible i think a horse would be better than me at the moment. I was wondering if I i should be using an SNES emulator or another kind such as genesis? Also is there anything that i should learn about this game before i get to far into it?

thanks

i love your the site so far

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
Well first thing...don't play vs the cpu as it is not an indication of your skill level and it doesn't help you get better at the game at all.

Download MAME32k 0.64 and the MK3 and UMK3 roms (you need both and no, we can't tell you where to get them so don't ask)...then find someone to play against online or in person. Read the character guide for the character(s) you want to play as here on the site.

If you can't use mame for whatever reason, download zbattle from http://www.zbattle.net and zsnes from http://www.zsnes.com and go play somone online in the snes version of the game.

Playing people is the best and only way to get better.

OK thanks and i understand why u cant give out the webpages for ROMS

ok so now i have downloaded both ROMS i have installed mame and i have no idea wat i am doing past that point if someone could give me a hand that would be great

i won't be on until 3:30 pacific time

thanks

dreemernj

Ambassador
You have to make sure MAME knows the directories where the games are. Click Options->Directories and set that.

Then I suggest you click the folder on the left side that says "Available." After you click it, hit the F5 key to refresh it. That way it will look through the folder you just gave it and display the games that it finds.

You might have to right click on the game in the list and go to Properties then click the Controllers tab to tell it to use a gamepad/joystick. It might do that automatically but I don't remember because I never use them.

Double click a game to set it running. In game, hit TAB to bring up the options menu and set up your keys or controller buttons appropriately.

Then you can start playing.

Also, zbattle.net is a great invention. It basically just lets you see who else wants to play online, and ZSNES has fantastic netplay so it can be really fun. Problem is, UMK3 for SNES is its own game. If you are interested in playing at a high level in the arcade version, and you practice on the SNES version, its going to end up being a rude awakening because they are very very different. If the SNES version is all you can play against other people than definately go for it. It's better than nothing.

Which verson of the game should i be playing then? I just got the SNES version cause it was really easy to find

I downloaded MAME i downloaded the MAME ROMS but for some reason i can't seem to get them to show up on the availabe list in MAME i have set the directories to the fold where my ROMS are and nothing.....do i have to extract them from the .bin file if so how?

dreemernj

Ambassador
The best is UMK3 rev1.2 for Arcade.

They are in a .bin file? They should be zips.

What OS are you using?

SNES does have it's differences but it's very acceptable if you are just learning. You probably won't even notice any gameplay notices at your level poop. It's just if you can play on MAME, you should. If it's too much trouble then just play on snes, you can get decent before it matters.

Playing against the computer is not always a bad thing. It does bring you up to a certain point but after a little bit in can only do dammage for your game. Against the computer you can always make patterns, and the AI won't catch on. They usually respond with the same manuever everytime. It's quite opposite in competitve play. I'm still learning myself, but I can even see some bad patterns in matches with good players.

ooops ok they are in a .zip file but i extracted the files so they were in .bin but even now that i have it as a .zip file i can't seem to get it to work and i am using windows xp

Finally i got it to work i have the whole thing working now finally after hours of work yay for me now just to find some online matches

thanks for the help guys