What's new

New To The Game

knight x1868

Blue Lantern Corps
I was directed here about two days ago by another player. I am very impressed with this site and wish I would have known how deep the Mortal Kombat roots were about 5-6 years ago. I have been a Mortal Kombat fan since I was 3-4 years old. I would have also considered myself a very good player not long ago. This game is very different compared to previous titles. Not necessarily the transition from 3-D back to 2-D, but the dynamics of how the game is played.
That being said, I am having a lot of trouble with this game. I am not sure how to describe my issues I am having but I feel as though I am behind the 8 ball when I play. My main characters right now are Jade and Kitana. I am considering finding a new main character and really working with that character. I am not sure where or how to begin.
I was told that I really need to learn how to block and then learn to string afterward. The things that I have found on the site thus far have been helpful in establishing a foundation to build upon but I have never been okay with being mediocre. I really want to take the next step in MK game but I am very unsure where to start. Any help would be great.

Thanks
-Knightmare

Beast3

Theres No Escape
Welcome to TYM!
What are the main issues you're having with Jade and Kitana? Im no expert at either, but if you posted in said character's specific forum one of the Mods or top level players could definitely help you out.

Enenra

Go to hell.
Welcome! If you are on xbox, add me at l Enenra l. (The "l" is a lowercase L)

I can't teach Jade or Kitana specifically, but I can help build you a foundation.

I was directed here about two days ago by another player. I am very impressed with this site and wish I would have known how deep the Mortal Kombat roots were about 5-6 years ago. I have been a Mortal Kombat fan since I was 3-4 years old. I would have also considered myself a very good player not long ago. This game is very different compared to previous titles. Not necessarily the transition from 3-D back to 2-D, but the dynamics of how the game is played.
That being said, I am having a lot of trouble with this game. I am not sure how to describe my issues I am having but I feel as though I am behind the 8 ball when I play. My main characters right now are Jade and Kitana. I am considering finding a new main character and really working with that character. I am not sure where or how to begin.
I was told that I really need to learn how to block and then learn to string afterward. The things that I have found on the site thus far have been helpful in establishing a foundation to build upon but I have never been okay with being mediocre. I really want to take the next step in MK game but I am very unsure where to start. Any help would be great.

Thanks
-Knightmare
first of all welcome to the site :) always nice to see a new face!

secondly, your character. well, what kind of play style do you like? zoning, rushdown, etc? that'll be the first thing you need to look at.

for comboing after being hit with a blockstring, frame data is essential. certain moves have disadvantage on block (and hit), some have advantage. you're going to have to find a character you like, first, so you can know how fast their moves are and what you can do to counter certain things.

knight x1868

Blue Lantern Corps
Wow, thanks!

Right now with with my game overall, I think I try to play too fast or to the pace of my opponent. I am probably better suited to play with Jade but Kitana gives me an easy way out of a sticky situation with some of her special moves. So for one, I really need to learn how to work on my button timing.
Not really sure how to describe myself as a player just yet. I'd really like to be a zone player that can brawl also. My first instinct is to pick up Kabal and see how that would for for me.
I will also look in the character specific threads and try to learn more too.

Espio

Kokomo
Lead Moderator
Welcome to the forums, we'd be delighted to help you. I have a pretty good grasp of Jade and will assist you in any possible way I can, just need more specifics on what you wish to work on to improve.

Also, if you have a Jade or Kitana specific question, both forums have many competent members that would be glad to assist you directly.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
Welcome to the forums man! Best thing to do would be visit the character forums for your specific character you want to learn. Ask around there and you're sure to get some great advice!

enjoy your stay. (lol, I just felt like a hotel greeter)

knight x1868

Blue Lantern Corps
Alright. So I guess I'm not new to the game anymore but I'm still having the same type of trouble. Now, I kinda feel stuck with Kitana. BUT, I think I have improved my game overall when it comes to strategy. I can't put my finger on it... I feel like I'm close but I'm not all the way there.

I have been playing this game for 3 days and what I find is that its pretty much broken. My uppercuts are about 10 seconds too late. Actually everything is 10 seconds too late. Combos dont string together like they are supposed to. It just needs a complete rework. I just queue up for random matches and block in crouch position until I am dead.

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer
I have been playing this game for 3 days and what I find is that its pretty much broken. My uppercuts are about 10 seconds too late. Actually everything is 10 seconds too late. Combos dont string together like they are supposed to. It just needs a complete rework. I just queue up for random matches and block in crouch position until I am dead.
Online is pretty bad.. I stick to offline exclusively. A shame since I would play this game more otherwise.