What's new

New to Noob!

Flagg

Noob
Hello fellow Noobs.

I've decided that I want to give NS a go. I always seem to end up playing the mid tier characters and below, I think I just find them naturally more interesting.

What I like about Noob, is that he's a character that seems focussed around constantly making the opponent move, and has a few set ups, gimmick or otherwise, especially with portals. Now I love playing CSZ and I think one of my strengths with him is always doing something to make the opponent do something.

He seems a very unique character, but from initial findings....his damage output seems pretty bad. Some of his strings seem really good, especially as whiff punish, but then some of his other normals seem horrendously slow.

What are some of the basics I need to get to grips with this guy?

Killphil

A prop on the stage of life.
Basically you need to get used to losing a lot to come to grips with Nooby. #kappa

No really, I only find use with b1214 ~teleport or mixup clone on block, and 2,1,2. I know nothing of his portal setups though. Upknee is so good it might fail like 1/100 times when someone is jumping over you. You'd literally have to let them land on the ground to not get hit by it. Madzin uses a lot of shit with noob that I don't usually see. d3/d1 into tackle/slide....ghost ball in the corner...Perhaps he should be the one to help you out. Madzin

Flagg

Noob
Basically you need to get used to losing a lot to come to grips with Nooby. #kappa

No really, I only find use with b1214 ~teleport or mixup clone on block, and 2,1,2. I know nothing of his portal setups though. Upknee is so good it might fail like 1/100 times when someone is jumping over you. You'd literally have to let them land on the ground to not get hit by it. Madzin uses a lot of shit with noob that I don't usually see. d3/d1 into tackle/slide....ghost ball in the corner...Perhaps he should be the one to help you out. Madzin
Is upknee that good? I abuse the Hell out of Kano up ball for AA and about the only thing that beats that is KL's divekick. He doesn't really have any launchers apart from catching someone in a portal, right?

Noob Saibot is a metagame and footsies-oriented character to me. I find much of my success by fighting accordingly to how my opponent plays.
Sorry for not posting anything too useful, Flaggie; Guiding others on things like this is one of my weakness.
Is upknee that good? I abuse the Hell out of Kano up ball for AA and about the only thing that beats that is KL's divekick. He doesn't really have any launchers apart from catching someone in a portal, right?
Shadow Upknee is one of the best specials in MK (aside from the obvious ones like Nomad Dash and Spirit Ram); Noob would be quite bad without it. Upknee is +4 on block, and +10 on block from maximum distance.

Yeah, he requires an NJP or a Portal to launch the opponent for juggles.

Flagg

Noob
Noob Saibot is a metagame and footsies-oriented character to me. I find much of my success by fighting accordingly to how my opponent plays.
Sorry for not posting anything too useful, Flaggie; Guiding others on things like this is one of my weakness.

Shadow Upknee is one of the best specials in MK (aside from the obvious ones like Nomad Dash and Spirit Ram); Noob would be quite bad without it. Upknee is +4 on block, and +10 on block from maximum distance.

Yeah, he requires an NJP or a Portal to launch the opponent for juggles.
Nope, it's all good mate. It's exactly how I play my CSZ, I use him to always make my opponent move and react accordingly.

What are his best moves on wake up, up knee?

Illmatix

Remember, representing ermac is illmatic.
one mixup madzin did to me was after up shadow he d3xxupshadowed, then when i tried to cross him up on a read after an upshadow, he ex up shadowed me into a corner juggle. The way i saw madzin using him it's about maintaining dat advantage and cheesing with portal setups.

PND i2 Gaug3

NERF Everything, LEAVE Nothing
A knife is waiting for you with a note attached followed by a ball?

This message is brought to you by The Hateocracy

Good luck.

Use shadow charge as a whiff punisher inside jump distance, otherwise use his zoning mix ups outside of jump distance. Noob's shadows are punishable on block at close distances, so that is why I do not necessarily suggest the shadow mix up off b1214, because you can get full combo punished if you guess wrong. The safest thing to do would be to cancel B121 into up knee on block.

Up knee and shadow charge are great on wake up, just remember the problem with a blocked charge. Up knee can also be crossed up on wake up if done correctly.

His pressure is kind of weird, but D4 on hit will jail them into 212 upknee. After a d3, 1,2 or F333 are good choices, but F3 can be poked out of and 1,2 is duckable. If you see someone intentionally duck to blow up your high strings after d3, just shadow charge and knock them down. 212 is very easily staggered, just make sure to always cancel the last 2 into up knee. Stuff like 2-throw works really well. 2 is also duckable. Always use 2 as an AA. It has a gdlk hitbox. In fact, if people are jumping at you, almost always go for the bigger punish with 2 instead of upknee, unless you know you won't be able to.

Teleslam can punish a lot of stuff on read as far as projectiles go. I don't really use portal set ups, but EX ghostball combos in the corner are good.

B1 is a great whiff punisher, just slow. It's also neutral on block, so you can throw out of it or just b121-upknee on block. B1 is also good for checking forward advancing players. Can also AA at right distances, and you can get a conversion off of it.

His d1 is serviceable as a cross up AA, but you may be better off crossing under and using B1 to punish cross ups. His d3 is great because it lowers his hotbox so much, also.

So, yeah. Use meter for breakers, EX up knee, or an X-ray combo out of 212.

Random thoughts as of right now. He is just slow and lacks a fast mid move other than the punishable shadow charge. Also, his damage is booboo, but he is good at retaining a life lead.

Noob is a terrible character by design. You will have to work extremely hard for little reward. You will also face many lopsided matchups. His upknee is good for preventing jump ins, for corner pressure and juggles, and to make block strings safe. As a wakeup attack its not too reliable, it can be crossed up if done properly. It's +4 on block. Shadow Tackles and Shadow Slides have awful recovery, so make sure to use them from full screen or a safe distance. Never use them from up close or mid range unless you are whiff punishing with them. The shadow tackle has a good hitbox so if timed properly you can catch jump in attempts. His ghostball should only be used on AA juggles and in juggles in the corner. Never use the ghostball as a traditional projectile. Against some Chars though like Kabal and Reptile you can catch them with one sometimes when they get dash happy. His portals are gimmicky and extremely punishable if done from close, due to the recovery time. These are best used from a safe distance against turtles to get them to move and jump. You can also use them against some characters after a blocked string, or an AA juggle for mindgames. You can also toss one behind them after a landed string forcing them to recover and techroll and jump your shadow tackle,slide. Careful with this setup though, some wakeup attacks blow up this gimmicky setup.

His throw is very good, and has good reach, use it alot. His b1 starter is slow but has good range. Very good for spacing and whiff punishing. His f3 is also slow but has good range too and priority so use this alot. His 212 string hits very high and some chars with low hitboxes can crouch it and blow it up. His teleport slam is ok but not very reliable. The hitbox on it sucks. Characters with low hitboxes blow it up all day. For example, mileena, sonya etc. can whiff a d3 or d4 and noob wont catch them when he appears next to them, leaving him open for punishment. The slam is best used as a combo ender or an aa tool. Everytime you land a jumpkick air to air link it into teleslam. From a safe distance and if timed correctly, you can catch people jumping too. The good thing about the slam if it lands is the postion it puts you in. Against certain chars you put them in a guessing game. You can bait wakeup attacks and punish or crossup. You can throw a portal over them if they stay down. If they recover, you can go in and get another throw again, or even go for pressure. Only useful on some characters. Chars with good wakeup options and armor are harder to play mindgames with.

Noobs hit box is huge and he has no armor. You must keep rushdown chars out at all costs. Characters like Kung Lao and Kabal can jail him with their strings. Even Ermac can pessure him with 31 31 312 due to his hitbox size. Your best poke to try to get out of pressure is your 7 frame d3, it leaves you a -7 on block and + 3 on hit. His d4 is good too. Usefor for fottsies. Its neautral on block and +12 on hit. Thats all I can think of for now. You're going to struggle with noob no matter how good you are. His design is flawed. If you want to zone you're better off using another char. You can pick other chars that zone better than noob AND have armor. More bang for your buck.

RYX

BIG PUSHER
I'd like to state that the "terrible by design" thing is very wrong; his concept is absolutely broken. It's NRS's awful integration of that concept into MK9 that made him shitty.

That aside, Noob is best used for strong zoning games and ever so slowly bullying people to the corner, using the occasional portal along the way. Portal really shouldn't be abused because of it's lackluster recovery compared to things like Cyrax's Bombs and Jax's GP(Both of which are better anyway.), from a distance, FP can be used to give characters like Cage and Reptile problems with getting in. His clones, despite the recovery, are really good for easy whiff punishing and they come out fast enough to stuff a lot of advancing moves with the proper read/spacing. He has a few annoying matches but his only 8-2 is Kabal. Raiden, Kung Lao, and Sonya IMO are his worst matches.

When it comes to footsies, he has decent speed but his only fast mid is his tackle, which is -21 on block at point blank. From a little over sweep, only moves like Superman, Elbow Dash, etc. can punish it. His footsies are, in my opinion, overall above average for a character with no armor, but the only way you'll get to fully abuse them with your faster strings is making them respect the overhead option. For the slower options, I'd say making them respect the Upknee is the best option(this is also really good for getting easy throws.) Also note that you can D3/D4 incoming opponent and you can usually throw them right out afterwards. D3~Tackle is a decent mix-up to catch people attempting to counter-poke or low-duck. B1 is good for whiff punishing and generally defending too, and it stuffs a lot of wake-ups as well. F333 is amazing throughout, as the first hit is only -2, the second is neutral, and the third links into Upknee for +4 and a lot of chip/meter. (You can hit-confirm most strings into Upknee, remember that)

He's got really good AAs, his 1 and 2 are both amazing for anti-airs, that do nice damage and have the option of going with teleport for full damage and a mix-up, ghostball for range and clone/teleport guessing game, or upknee for space and a portal set-up.

Overall he's really not terrible, but you need to be godlike with your spacing if you want to abuse some of his stuff.

I feel like I wrote too much. :S

PingLH

Noob
Hopes this help with MU for you here a list of all videos to date of mine:

Tar Nasty vs Keter D.

BETTY vs Tar Nasty

Tar Nasty vs RAV

SFN Tar Nasty vs SFN RAV

Cali vs SFN Tar Nasty

Darkflamemasterjosh vs SFN Tar Nasty

SFN Tar Nasty vs KeterDestruction

SFN THEE ODINSON vs SFN Tar Nasty