What's new

New to Jade, Some General Questions

Hi all,

Last night I started learning Jade. I'm a Kitana main, and I know how to play as Sub-Zero. Jade obviously plays very different and seems more of a zoning/keep away character, so it's cool trying a different style in the game. I know Emerald Defender fits that bill perfectly, so I've been toying more with Jaded since it looks more fun to me.

In general, where can I go, or can someone tell me, where I can get details on her strings. By that I mean which of her strings are considered her best, general use of them, etc. I also know she's not a combo-heavy character, but in general, where can I go to find some good, beginner combos for her?

Also, her Pole Vault, is it just me, or does the Amplified version seem to wiff a lot outside of the corner? The regular Vault often hits when I've toyed with it, but the Amplified almost always goes over my opponent, whether from neutral or a string.

Thanks!

Madog32

PSN: ImaGiveItToUBaby
In general, where can I go, or can someone tell me, where I can get details on her strings. By that I mean which of her strings are considered her best, general use of them, etc.
D4 - great ranging normal. When opponent is in the corner, D4 guarantees a blocked B2 (can't neutral). Could also just go for B3 after D4 lands. Mid screen, it creates space, which jade enjoys
B2 - best ranged high. Links into vault and MB vault (might whiff amp vault if SUPER close)
B3 / B343 / B3434 - Best mid. B3 / B343 stagger game. B343 links into vault. All can link into MB vault~kick without gap and remains safe.
F3 / F34 / F343 - low. Staggers
2 / 21 /212 - fastest normal. 2 is a great anti air. 21 is -2 on block. 212 is safe, but your turn is over
F2 - good range. Very slow. Very unsafe. can be made safe with vault~kick (+3). Reg vault is also only -3 so thats also safe, but can be D2'ed on block between string and special.
Learn to hit confirm B343. B343~vault~kick on block for safety (or B3434), B343 rang to keep them standing, or B343 reg. vault on hit for damage. B2 is also hit confirmable and benefits from the same game as B343.
I also know she's not a combo-heavy character, but in general, where can I go to find some good, beginner combos for her?
Midscreen:
B343~vault
B2~vault or amp vault
F21 21 B2~shadowkick
F21 4~MB rang D4~shadowkick

Corner:
B343~butterfly D1 D1 D1 212
B343~butterfly D1 D1 D1 B2~shadowkick
43~amp rang B2 shadowkick
B343, wait a few frames for them to recover, then F3 stagger game
B343~vault (after knockdown, immediately start another vault, hold for a second, then amp. you might get lucky and they wake up, in which case this will typically beat the wakeup AND land the KB). Gimmicky heh
Also, her Pole Vault, is it just me, or does the Amplified version seem to whiff a lot outside of the corner? The regular Vault often hits when I've toyed with it, but the Amplified almost always goes over my opponent, whether from neutral or a string.
Amp goes farther than reg, and is way worse on block and whiff. Does have KB attached, does more damage, and side switches. Hardly seems worth the meter when she could be using it to stay safe on block with vault~kick

Last edited:
@Madog32 Fantastic and thank you, I'll toy with some of this tonight!

With respect to Emerald Defender, same general concept, save replace Vault with Kick?

xKMMx

Banned
Well going by the way most Jade's play online. The go to flow chart is to open up with AIr glaves, then the low projectile, if they move in ex shadow kick then when you get your ass punished for doing that D2 everything.

Madog32

With respect to Emerald Defender, same general concept, save replace Vault with Kick?
Can’t answer that for ya. Never spent more than a day with ED. Not nearly as much fun.

But EDs game plan would be to utilize air rangs, as its one of her best moves. Combos are the same, just finish with shadow kick instead of vault to send them away and begin throwing air rangs again

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium

Do not replace Vault with Kick if referring to blockstrings. Nitro Kick is 100% combo punishable. Emerald Defender has to put a lot more thought into her close range game than Jaded as Jaded has multiple safe cancel options to choose from while ED technically has none. You can risk throwing Glaive on block, but that's not actually truly safe due to not a single Jade string jailing into it on block.

Madog32

Do not replace Vault with Kick if referring to blockstrings. Nitro Kick is 100% combo punishable. Emerald Defender has to put a lot more thought into her close range game than Jaded as Jaded has multiple safe cancel options to choose from while ED technically has none. You can risk throwing Glaive on block, but that's not actually truly safe due to not a single Jade string jailing into it on block.
Ya. I meant in combos for sure. Luckily her good combos are hit confirmable, but ED is kinda out of luck up close against a blocking opponent. B3434 and hope they don’t flawless block heh

Tanya-Fan-28

TanyaShouldBeInMK11
Technically I picked up Jade in the first month but dropped her, so in a way I'm also picking her up. I want to play her throughout S4 of KL. All I know is that B343 cancelled into EX glaive will make you super plus. Thats if they don't duck and D2 you.

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium
Technically I picked up Jade in the first month but dropped her, so in a way I'm also picking her up. I want to play her throughout S4 of KL. All I know is that B343 cancelled into EX glaive will make you super plus. Thats if they don't duck and D2 you.
Glaive doesnt jail and the Ex Glaive has an obvious gap that can be reacted to easily. I'd strongly advise against risking your life (and using a bar) just to be slightly plus. If you're using ED, you have to be extremely mindful of what you choose to do in close range. There's very little safety (and damage) up close in Jade's kit without Jaded.

For ED, remember that it's not about taking risks to open someone up because you wont get much payout even if you do. It's all about keeping safe and getting away to play your zoning game.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
Hi all,

Last night I started learning Jade. I'm a Kitana main, and I know how to play as Sub-Zero. Jade obviously plays very different and seems more of a zoning/keep away character, so it's cool trying a different style in the game. I know Emerald Defender fits that bill perfectly, so I've been toying more with Jaded since it looks more fun to me.

In general, where can I go, or can someone tell me, where I can get details on her strings. By that I mean which of her strings are considered her best, general use of them, etc. I also know she's not a combo-heavy character, but in general, where can I go to find some good, beginner combos for her?

Also, her Pole Vault, is it just me, or does the Amplified version seem to wiff a lot outside of the corner? The regular Vault often hits when I've toyed with it, but the Amplified almost always goes over my opponent, whether from neutral or a string.

Thanks!
People often misunderstand Jade and try to play her like a robot. She's a very organic character with a very low margin for error and because of this, you need to be careful when and what button you press. Here's a breakdown of all her buttons, strings and specials.

1 - 7f high, go to hit after a d1.
1,2 - 14f low, excellent reach, showstopper. You shall not walk within my range, peasant.
1,2,4- Advancing mid with a diminutive KB. Look up the combo and practice it, you'll land it often.
b1 - Mid-range check, death on block, cancel into mb glaive if you get blocked.
b12 - Death on block, overhead, leads to nothing. Good at catching backwalks though.
f2 - Worst normal in the game. Don't overuse it, it's bad. You can sell it every so often.
f21 - Her only launcher, sadly.
b2 - Wiggle Stick combines the disadvantages of highs and mids: it sucks at catching jumps and gets ducked so make sure to cancel it into something. It's 10f and good at whiffpunishing for diminutive damage.
2 - 7f high, worse reach than 1
21 - High mid, mostly comes up in combos but you can lovetap with it if you get your spacing down.
212 - Her space-regainer and best blockstring. It's safe on block, pushes back and pretty decent at reaching people on the last hit too.
3 - Useless. Same as B3 except a high. Don't touch that button without a directional key attached.
b3 - Her best mid. Learn to cancel it into all her specials.
b343 - Stagger string off of b3
b3434 - +5 on block but easy to FB so make sure to shimmy and stagger if you want to use this string.
f3 - 16f t-rex low. It has its uses but it's probably the worst low in the game.
f343 - Spacing string and covers a fair bit of ground. Great at advancing and with a cancel into mb glaive you got yourself a nice spacing tool. Sadly, it's slow af.
4 - High and + on block. Show stopper: Beats a lot of advancing strings on point. Active for a million years so it's very powerful.
43 - Low, launches females with ex glaive. Combo doesn't work on males, sadly.

For combos, go see the combo thread that's all up to date.

You probably MB Vault too early that's why you jump over. Try to spend the meter later into the active frames.
Good luck.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
@Juxtapose
Her offense revolves around throwing bf1 and making them come to you. Her D4 is +18 on hit so use it. Sadly it pushes them too far back to guarantee a f2.
You challenge any and all advances with 1,2 or b3 and look out for huge whiffs for a b2, mb glaive, pressure / throw option.

For Jaded you can learn to cancel into vault and vaultkick which gives her pretty good stagger pressure but your options aren't amazing afterwards.