What's new

New SFV footage (6/11/2015)

PANDEMlC

El Psy Congroo
The graphics look gorgeous, absolutely love the character models and the colors. I also love that it's going to be on PC. Hope it's not a shitty port like MKX. The new mechanics sound cool to, I'll need something to spice up SF, not a huge fan of the most of the cast but I did like Third Strike a lot so I hope we get to see more of those characters return.

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
Going though all the new info on it, game is certainly going to be interesting, can't wait to try it.

Charlie isn't a charge character anymore, maybe the Remy dream is still alive?

skater11

The saltiest
I don't know shit about SF. Was thinking of getting into SFV. But now that I hear it's not on Xbone, it's a dissapointment.

Edit: I definitely want to get my hands on it so investing in a ps4 will be my only choice, oh well. I'm probably not the only one in this situation.

Audit

Falls down too much
Will there be cross-platform play? If so, how are netcode connections during cross-platform play?
If the netcode is the same as advancements they've made in the PC version of SF4, the netcode will be very good. It's already very good on SF4 on PC ONLY.

Johnny San

Shazzy's Biggest Fan
If the netcode is the same as advancements they've made in the PC version of SF4, the netcode will be very good. It's already very good on SF4 on PC ONLY.
I'm just wondering how good cross-platform netplay is. I've never been able to play a game that has this feature. I ask because I would like to buy it on PC. If cross-platform netplay is bad, I'd just get the PS4 version.

LockM

Noob
Absence of focus attack is a step back imo. Focus attack kept momentum high, and prevented squatting in neutral. Focus attack was abused, particularly in laggy online(focusing all jump ins), and by situations like Infiltration vs Daigo (focus dashing into neutral off of fireballs), and horseshit like Rose(focus backdashing everything), but it was so dynamic, and led to fadc hype(unpredictable hype to be exact). I am seeing less potential for hype with V. V looks spectacular, and the mechanics are all reasonable, but the meta seems(theory fighter) really linear.

Without focus cancelling and focus dashing you have to play old school Street Fighter to break an opponent's defense. This old school method is slow and methodical. That's probably why we see a lot of old school players licking their lips at the thought. I can play that way because I've been playing since SF2, but I prefer a more uptempo style with differing rhythms(focus dash cancelling and backdashing facilitated this at the cost of gray health. fair).

That said, I applaud Capcom for taking out crouch teching, and invincible backdashing. It's really crazy that they are removing such casual friendly tactics. I'm also shocked that they're willing to force casual bums to learn real zoning and footsies, risking alienating scrubs. You have to work for what you get now, which I'm sure will be despised by 09ers.
Disagree about the focus attacks. It negated the neutral game by simply pressing two buttons, even going as far as giving a crumple state on lvl1 focus counterhit, which is incredibly scrubby and abusable. Single pokes seem to deal big damage, so there is a real threat when playing the neutral and actual footsies.

Honestly getting rid of crouchtechs is great for beginnners, it was yet another hurdle for beginners, it needlessly made the game more complex to play on a competitive level.

With the addition v-skill and v-trigger we can see some very uniqye gameplan for characters.

Links are also easier as in Omega style links. They probably added a buffer which makes 1-frame links actualluy doable for the beginner.

I personally hope the DP shortcut is GONE, people mashed the shit out of that during block and churning from df,d,df +button, the fadc mechanic also made it "safe" when they had atleast 2 meter, again an incredibly scrubby but legit tactic.

Hard knockdowns are rare it seems, only from critical arts and throws, so less flowchart okizemi 50/50 mixups hopefull equals more focus on neutral and smart gameplay. ANd when you get a throw or critical knowckdown you might get rewarded big, it is something that needs to be earned.

Onilordasmodeus

My GT: UncappedWheel82
Absence of focus attack is a step back imo. Focus attack kept momentum high, and prevented squatting in neutral. Focus attack was abused, particularly in laggy online(focusing all jump ins), and by situations like Infiltration vs Daigo (focus dashing into neutral off of fireballs), and horseshit like Rose(focus backdashing everything), but it was so dynamic, and led to fadc hype(unpredictable hype to be exact). I am seeing less potential for hype with V. V looks spectacular, and the mechanics are all reasonable, but the meta seems(theory fighter) really linear.

Without focus cancelling and focus dashing you have to play old school Street Fighter to break an opponent's defense. This old school method is slow and methodical. That's probably why we see a lot of old school players licking their lips at the thought. I can play that way because I've been playing since SF2, but I prefer a more uptempo style with differing rhythms(focus dash cancelling and backdashing facilitated this at the cost of gray health. fair).

That said, I applaud Capcom for taking out crouch teching, and invincible backdashing. It's really crazy that they are removing such casual friendly tactics. I'm also shocked that they're willing to force casual bums to learn real zoning and footsies, risking alienating scrubs. You have to work for what you get now, which I'm sure will be despised by 09ers.
I've got to agree with you, though I'm not as well versed in the FADC meta as you seem to be. I like a more footsie based game, though I do like the idea of characters specific "footsie breaking" tools. Man do I wish this was coming to the X1.

Also, they took out the BD invincibility? I didn't hear that. I wonder what else the did away with that I haven't heard about.

Last edited:

Audit

Falls down too much
Disagree about the focus attacks. It negated the neutral game by simply pressing two buttons, even going as far as giving a crumple state on lvl1 focus counterhit, which is incredibly scrubby and abusable. Single pokes seem to deal big damage, so there is a real threat when playing the neutral and actual footsies.

Honestly getting rid of crouchtechs is great for beginnners, it was yet another hurdle for beginners, it needlessly made the game more complex to play on a competitive level.

With the addition v-skill and v-trigger we can see some very uniqye gameplan for characters.

Links are also easier as in Omega style links. They probably added a buffer which makes 1-frame links actualluy doable for the beginner.

I personally hope the DP shortcut is GONE, people mashed the shit out of that during block and churning from df,d,df +button, the fadc mechanic also made it "safe" when they had atleast 2 meter, again an incredibly scrubby but legit tactic.

Hard knockdowns are rare it seems, only from critical arts and throws, so less flowchart okizemi 50/50 mixups hopefull equals more focus on neutral and smart gameplay. ANd when you get a throw or critical knowckdown you might get rewarded big, it is something that needs to be earned.

Crouch teching was the reason I quit playing the game the first time in 09. I doubt they'll get rid of the shortcuts, but I hope for that as well. Don't make move execution as tight as it originally was in World Warriors or anything , but no one should be able to df,df+P for a dragon punch, and have it autocorrect to boot.

TopTierHarley

Kytinn King
I'm just wondering how good cross-platform netplay is. I've never been able to play a game that has this feature. I ask because I would like to buy it on PC. If cross-platform netplay is bad, I'd just get the PS4 version.
PS3 to PS4 Xrd cross play was smooth. Also Capcom said they are using their own modified verision of GGPO called "Kagemusha"

TKB

Noob
Please bring back some 3rd strike characters....

If Q is in this game I will be picking it up for sure. Oro would be awesome as well.

sub_on_dubs

Online Scrub Lord
Looks like the same ol street fighter to me. They'd have to completely redo the game and I just don't see enough changes.

EMPEROR PRYCE

WAR SEASON "THE WEAK EXPOSED!"
M bison has grey hair. Points in the direction of the stories timeline.

If I had to guess it takes place after sfiv but before 3s.. im pretty sure 3s is the furthest in street fighter lore. Sfiv was a prequel I think..

MrProfDrPepper

NRS, Guilty Gear, and KI, the holy trinity
As long as they give me Cody and Yang, I am happy. if not, well i will just be depressed that they arent in since they are the only SF characters i really care about.

MrProfDrPepper

NRS, Guilty Gear, and KI, the holy trinity
M bison has grey hair. Points in the direction of the stories timeline.

If I had to guess it takes place after sfiv but before 3s.. im pretty sure 3s is the furthest in street fighter lore. Sfiv was a prequel I think..
I gave up trying to figure out Street Fighter Lore a while ago. it is too convoluted and this is a fighting game series that doesnt even have a real story mode. I just gave up on the lore entirely except for the characters i care about like cody and yang

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Bison is in it and he looks great, so I'll definitely be playing this once I get a PS4. Him not having a Psycho Crusher special is weird but I don't mind it too much. All I want now is Urien, pls pls give me Urien.

Other than that, game is looking better than it did when I last saw it. It looks fun.