What's new

New Podcast Episode! Han Rashid on Fujin, Overhaul, and Complete/Incomplete Characters

What would you like to see most in the next update to Mortal Kombat 11? Vote for two responses!

• Total voters

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Hosts: Crimson Shadow, m2dave, REO, and Tom Brady

Guest: Han Rashid

Topics: Fujin, Overhaul, Complete and Incomplete Characters

Poll: What would you like to see most in the next update to Mortal Kombat 11? Vote for two responses above.

Link:

REO

Undead
Brotherhood of Shadow DLC Pack:
Sareena
Quan Chi
Shinnok

Ninja DLC Pack:
Reptile
Smoke
Ermac

Cyborg Pack:
Cyrax
Sektor
Cyber Sub-Zero

Movie Character Pack:
Nitara
Reiko
Goro

One of these HAS to happen.

And please bring back some of the sick stages from past MK games like Subway, Armory, Bell Tower, etc. etc.

Also it's time for Tag Mode to make it's return which is still my number one requested feature for almost two years now. Thinking of some of the crazy tag synergy with character combination teams and assists has me salivating.

just_2swift

MK1 is the best MK period.
Lao definitely needs an overhaul. Idk if there's a gag order on talking about lao? Because he can't be top 5 because of one custom move. If that's the case it's the best move in the game because lao base form is so abysmal. He's all strike throw which in the Ultimate patch he's back throw Oki was removed on purpose? Cause other characters still have throw loops who are better and don't need strike throw to be effective.

1. Fatal blows shouldn't come back after used. (Should have been in since day one).
  2. Fatal blows shouldn't have armor. I've been guilty of using them on wake up or waiting for the opponent to jump or move so I can steal the round. It's too easy.
  3. They need to find a way for breakaway to not punish the attacker. Or I would suggest giving the player 1 breakaway per match.
As much as I like the game I do agree that the comeback mechanics in this game are too strong. This is what I think frustrates players. And they are very easy to do so it isn't as hype or fun or rewarding when you do comeback from a major health deficit.

I think this game should be the base and has alot of potential. It just needs some adjustments to the meta.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
Updates to balance would be great, especially if they re-work some of the custom moves in terms of cost to equip. Plenty of moves like Jo Push that cost two slots when in reality it should cost only 1.

I wouldn't say an "overhaul" is needed for the games mechanics, but some heavy tweaking to tighten them up a bit across the cast would be great. I like the general idea behind Breakaway, but there's too many characters where I don't think it works as intended.

just_2swift

MK1 is the best MK period.
I'll tell you why. 1st Break away isn't used as a defensive option it's used as offensive one. You get punished for your opponent fuck ups. This shit has to go it's really not healthy and armor breaks are just a lazy bandaid for breakaway. Do away with the break away and armor break moves. Bring back the breaker system.

2nd. Rolling wake up rolls are pretty much mkx smoke ex smoke phase forward and backward and can even be punished the same with grabs. This has to go WHY DID YOU GIVE EVERYONE AN INVINCIBLE PHASE LIKE SMOKE? Seriously remove forward roll and reduce the regeneration afterwards. OR IF YOU WANT TO KEEP FORWARD ROLL make ROLLING all all together cost 2 bars of defense meter.

3rd. Fatal blows. Make them go away on whiff block and cancel, remove the push back. Hell add a condition to fatal blow like you must have all your bars to use the move. This will stop the braindead fatal blow scrub play I'm not going to list the scenarios.

4th give us un-rollable hard knockdowns. They shouldn't cost a bar either. For example you can make Kung lao f12 a hard knockdown.

Last edited:

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
One of the talking points you guys had in this one was "arbitrary balance mechanics", referring to krushing blows and fatal blows. The idea being that the balance of characters may actually be bad but the system mechanics allow them to compete. On Fatal Blows, I think this is actually a fair point, we saw that early on in particular with release patch Frost who was trash but had a great Fatal Blow to help her steal a round. That's not really fun to have to play against or fun to have a bad character rely on that. But I really disagree with this whole premise about "arbitrary balance", and you guys don't give the system mechanics enough credit for how they keep the game balanced and how they contributed to imbalance in the past.

One of the biggest balance issues in past NRS games was just simple meter gain. Bo' Rai Cho can't build enough meter to sustain a gameplan that is as strong as Mileena's. Because NRS decided that Mileena should have tools that allow her to build more meter then Bo', it causes Mileena to have greater access to system mechanics(combo breaker, armor, EX moves) and makes the match tougher for Bo'. It wasn't that NRS designed a neutral that was unfun or unplayable in the matchup, it was just soiled by the arbitrary design around how supermeter works. MK11 meter system isn't perfect but it did fix that real and noticeable balance issue.

Back on FB's and KB's in MK11, take a low damage variation who isn't great but has something going for them, like maybe they got traps or strong neutral. When that character goes against a high damage character and gets hit, they can breakaway and reduce damage. When they need to be explosive, even if the character is not meant to be, they have access to Fatal Blow and D2 KB. Is that arbitrary balance? I guess so, but it helps keep that swaggy low damage character competing along with big combo guy and power zoner.

Also I think you guys didn't really acknowledge that Krushing Blows can actually be a very rewarding and interesting mechanic, outside of just one time big combo damage or comeback factor. Raiden's B2 mindgames are cool, Shang's B1D2 is a fun mixup, I like the one time use aspect of it and it looks fucking rad. It has none of the issues of Fatal Blows being too long or even over the top unrealistic.

Love the pod! Keep it coming

Last edited:

M2Dave

Zoning Master
1st Break away isn't used as a defensive option it's used as offensive one.
I have seen people make the same argument about the forward roll and flawless block. The game offers more defensive options when you are in the air, on the ground, and in hit stun than when you are playing the neutral, which is peculiar. AAing is difficult, but your opponent can flawless block and launch you when you are at +20 on hit. LOL.

I personally attribute the game's monotonous meta to the omission of traditional character archetypes. Mortal Kombat 11 has completely eliminated certain gameplay styles such as powerful okizeme and frame trap characters. There are no strong zoning and defensive characters either.

@Marinjuana , I have previously defended krushing blows. The mechanic kind of functions like other fighting games' counter system, which is all right. In my opinion, krushing blows are the least of the game's problems. I believe that people overreact about fatal blows too, but I understand why krushing blow d+2 into fatal blow is an issue for some.

Last edited: