What's new

New player in need of Cyrax advice

Hello all, I am new in both mortal kombat and this site, and so far I must say this forum has been full of very valuable information. I've been playing mostly offline, with friends and co-worker for about 1 1/2 months and been enjoying it a lot. I play exclusively Cyrax, which is the reason I'm posting in this forum.

I have a couple of issues that I'm facing that would need some advice from Cyrax experts.

1. When facing Baraka I have no idea what to do. I can't find an answer to blade charge. When blocking it, Baraka seems to be too far to hit him with anything. He can block net, spin if I jump punch, I can't dash and attack before he recovers. I am getting spammed all day by blade charge and can't find the counter.

2. I have troubles against pretty much every character to get a first hit that will lead to a combo. jip - 21 - net is almost always blocked, an AA net will have the opponent in the air, which the best I came up with was njp - b2 - 121 - AA. When on the ground I can usually get some hits with d4 / d1, rag doll, F2 - buzz saw, stuff like that, but nothing that converts into a net for a full combo. Since massive damage combos are one of Cyrax's strength I feel I'm missing a lot

3. Cross over punchs. I hate those with a passion. When I drop on the ground, it happens quite a lot that my opponent jumps over me and punch, which the only option is to stand block. My AA as wakeup always goes on the wrong side and misses him, and crouch blocking is a no-no as I'll get hit into full combo.

I got a couple of combos down, but it is irrelevent if I don't have the fundamentals needed to start them against good players.

Thank you for your help,

Rokinlobster

Nightwolf of the galaxy
Just command grab and down 4~saw.

But jumping is not going to open your opponents up. Try to learn to hit confirm 12 into a net. That is, you press 12, see that it hits and quickly input back back 3.

The ultimate tool for opening people up is the command grab, afterwards you get a free jump in mix up between command grab and 21~net. If they block the jump in and let go of block right after the command grab will miss, but if you decide to do 21~net it hits them. If you are playing online you can just do command grab and 90 percent of players wont block the follow up jump in.

Also down4. Major advantage on hit, you bassically get to come in with 12 for free. They can block the follow up, but tons of people dont giving you a free combo.

Rokinlobster

Nightwolf of the galaxy
Also, off of an anti air net you can get a reset.
Anti air net, enhanced bomb, medium bomb, 12~close bomb, net (reset happens here) njp, b2, 121~anti air.

Thanks, I'll definitely try to command grab more than I do now. Also I'll try to change my usual d4~saw and try d4 dash 12 hit confirm into net. Also does d4 dash command grab works or they can jab at me before the command grab hits ?

Thanks for your help, will try these techniques.

GGA HAN

Galloping Ghost Arcade
Thanks, I'll definitely try to command grab more than I do now. Also I'll try to change my usual d4~saw and try d4 dash 12 hit confirm into net. Also does d4 dash command grab works or they can jab at me before the command grab hits ?

Thanks for your help, will try these techniques.
D4 on hit is a great place to be as Cyrax...they have to guess whether you're going to do a 1,2 into net (leads to round critical damage) or command grab (which leads right back into the same mixup after a blocked jumpin punch after the CG hits. If they read command grab and try to tech the 1,2 into net hits and you can usually end the round.

Wigy

There it is...
If he is spinning lots then go low unblocked and uppercut him in the face.
Blade charge is full punish if he does it when hes close, 12 net should get it, try do it on practice with bot on wakeup.
If u catch somebody in the air with a net you can do ex bomb ex bomb far bomb 121 close bomb net. Not hard when you get the hang of it.
JIP's can be a pain in the ass, got to practice taking a half step back and catching them with a 1.
If you get your bombs out baraka doesn't really have a good answer for it, he can ex blade charge you but thats it and it doesn't help him a lot, so try and lame him out just keep firing out bombs to check him.
Baraka is very slow and basically most people will always use a JIP to start a combo
Make sure you're getting the max out of your combos, cyrax can hit like 85% 1 bar.
also d4 into 121/command grab mix ups is one of cyrax's best tools. so spam it like mental.
Ex ragdoll for the start of the match if its blocked do D1 ragdoll and it usually catches them off guard.
You sound like you also need to learn to hitconfirm better, which means if they block 21 you do not net. If you can't seem to hit your opponent try this. JIP 1 command grab

Just make sure to integrate good footsies into your game.

Looks like I need to improve my d4 followup, right now I use d4~buzz saw 99% of the time because whether it hits or block, they gotta block the saw or they get hit. d4 dash 12~net seems like a good way to open the offensive.

I tried the air net combo and it works pretty good, it helps me get more damage. I'm going for ex bomb, medium bomb, 123~close bomb, net. I'll need to check if it does more damage than far bomb 121.

Thanks for the baraka-specific tips Wigy, I'll practice to punish the blade charge, I didn't know it was possible.

Another question about AA is the standing 1. When you get up from the ground while the opponent tries a crossover punch, do you have time to stand up and jab to AA or you can only block ?

Thanks,

Wigy

There it is...
If somebody is crossing you over while your on the ground wakeup AA grab their asses.

For BNB's Air net = Ex Bomb, Ex Bomb, Far Bomb, 121 close bomb net.
Or
Jump punch Ex bomb far bomb 121 close bomb net. BUT for this one they need to have been caught high in the air with the net.

On a ground net.

Ex bomb B2 Far bomb 121 close bomb net
If you have never done this one before there is a trick to it, the b2 has to sort of miss and explode under them.. try it you'll get what i mean. Timing is tricky but it comes out easy once u get the hang of it. There is another way of doing it, but its a little more complicated.
If thats too tricky you can always do Ex bomb Ex bomb B2 Farbomb.. etc And the timing is waaaay easier.

In the corner:
there is a number of combos you can do, i do the simplest cause the knockback from the air net is a bit random at times and comes out funny but just 21net, step back JIP 21 ex bomb b2(exploding under them as mentioned before) Close bomb 33 net
but since your beginner nothing wrong with 21 net 21 ex bomb close bomb 1 net.

Risky gimmicky resets

if you land a neutral JP and follow up with like 21 net, teleport then shoot a medium bomb, hit 22 when they land and it will knock them into the bomb. I think this works all the time since all they can do when they land from an air net that was stringed from a Neutral jump punch is block.. they can't move, jump, or wakeup. Try it with bot set on jump and you'll see what i mean.
Even if it doesn't work fullproof every time its gimmicky and rare and people don't expect it so don't react in time. i land it like 9/10 online.

I can find you videos to help with explaining things if you need em, can't stress enough how important cyrax's d4 is.. you could be mixing up with d4 sawblade d4 dash 12 and d4 dash command grab

If you're feeling very adventurous try this one.

(in the corner) JIP 21 net, step back, JIP B2, Close bomb, D1 net.

Also one more tip. To make b2 string from a JIP you need to delay it a tiny bit.

Any questions just ask

Thanks Wigy, I use most of these combos already but there's quite of few things I need to improve. I don't succeed every time, especially the corner combo so I gotta practice them more.

Also I can safely say my game improved quite a lot with the tips from this thread. There's a very good guy that I play against often, and I manage to play offensively now with the d4, 12~net and by using more command grabs.

Baraka is still giving me headaches.

ZigZag

That Welsh Guy
It's nice to see people coming and going for MK advice still.

PNDMustard is one of the best Cyrax's I played against in my MK time.

Wigy

There it is...
Baraka

Run away and shoot bombs everywhere occasionally pop a net.
Toepoke the fucking shit out of him when he gets close, if you're opponent get predictable with his spins take a step back and net him.

I'm not sure why you're having a problem with baraka hes balls.

Wigy

There it is...
One last gimicky thing, if you get somebody with like 21net and you have no meter but they have enough to break any combo you do, what i do is. Do the AA jump twice (this is just for timing, and a little meter building) and then command grab, it won't be breaker-able, then do follow up chip pressure. (I use JIP F2 D4 121 Ragdoll d1 Ragdoll). If they wise up to this they can tech the command grab/duck unblock under it/x-ray you. But you can just do 2,net after the double AA jump (unbreakerable as well) instead. Its basically a 50/50 unless they are good at teching the grab.

Not fullproof but it works hella good.

If you're on xbox live i'll spar with you.. Gt: MagicDugong

Rokinlobster

Nightwolf of the galaxy
One last gimicky thing, if you get somebody with like 21net and you have no meter but they have enough to break any combo you do, what i do is. Do the AA jump twice (this is just for timing, and a little meter building) and then command grab, it won't be breaker-able, then do follow up chip pressure. (I use JIP F2 D4 121 Ragdoll d1 Ragdoll). If they wise up to this they can tech the command grab/duck unblock under it/x-ray you. But you can just do 2,net after the double AA jump (unbreakerable as well) instead. Its basically a 50/50 unless they are good at teching the grab.

Not fullproof but it works hella good.

If you're on xbox live i'll spar with you.. Gt: MagicDugong
JipF2 is pretty easily interuptable, just skip the jump in if you want to do f2 after a command grab, it is still guaranteed and you are not losing much.

I have troubles against baraka mostly because the guy is just a better overall player than I am. He beats me with pretty any of his usual character (baraka, nightwolf, ermac), although I'll snatch a round or match here and there. He's not falling for random nets or JIP so I have to open his defense some other way (D4 is proving awesome for this).

I do play online, on PS3

Rokinlobster

Nightwolf of the galaxy
I have troubles against baraka mostly because the guy is just a better overall player than I am. He beats me with pretty any of his usual character (baraka, nightwolf, ermac), although I'll snatch a round or match here and there. He's not falling for random nets or JIP so I have to open his defense some other way (D4 is proving awesome for this).

I do play online, on PS3
Cyrax's D4 gives the most advantage in the game as far as I know, its awesome. Start implementing D4~saw into your game as well, to make it easier on inputs. downback 4 forward 2. Once your opponent gets scared of this they wont block low after a down4, so you are free to come in with 12 or command grab.

Another thing that I feel has been the greatest benefit to my game is comboing off of ragdoll in the corner. There are 3 ways to combo off of it, d1, 121~net.……d1~net...., or 121~net. D1 net is a pain in the ass to learn, but it is REALLY good to know how to do, once you have it down i think that is the easiest way to combo off of ragdoll. Straight up 121 is near impossible, and d1, 121~net might be the easiest but I never have used it.Wake up EX ragdoll is by far Cyraxs best wake up option when his back is to the corner. Note that EX ragdoll is easier to combo off of than regular ragdoll.
The combo i do is usually ex ragdoll, d1~net, njp splat, close bomb...
now I have turned the tables from their puny corner pressure into one of the best corner pressures in the game.

which leads me to his corner bomb trap which I did not understand for a long time. After you splat some one in the corner, do a close bomb. They have two options to escape, wake up attack, or jump. If you think they will wake up attack, just block it. The few that will escape the bomb are punishable, the ones that aren't punishable will just leave them standing on the bomb. If you think they will jump do 22. It will catch them rising and hit them onto the bomb.
once they get hit by the bomb do njp,b2, 121~net, njp and you have them right back in the same guessing game.

Wigy

There it is...
Random nets shouldn't be part of your game, you should only net if its 100% safe I.E not in JIP range, i usually throw bombs out everywhere and net.

Nets are a big part of your game, but a mistake a lot of people make with cyrax is they play to do combos, just play his regular pressure game with his good normals and footsies and combo when you get the chance, don't force it with net spam, you'll just get punished.

Nightwolf has some serious trouble against cyrax's footsies as he hasn't got a good special to punish it with, dont try to net him cause you'll just eat an ex charge or he'll reflect it and build meter.

Ermac can't deal with pressure unless played very well, just get in his grill and play it smart with his lift or you'll be eating 40% combos all day.

@Guy above.

The d1 net reset is best option in the corner and some characters have definitely got options to get them out of the splat like 100% of the time so you need to be cautious when abusing that. And ex AA is also a good option with your back to the corner since it: 1, gets you out the corner 2, has armour 3, hits the opponent if they try to AA you

If i have somebody in the corner in a hanging net after i've done most of my combo i'll pretend to do a deep jump kick which would have connected just as the net drops then i'll just command grab them instead as they stand there blocking bracing for impact

Wigy

There it is...
One character that is a lol with corner traps is sektor.

B2 NJP 21 33 net B2- Half step back- Close bomb- B2. NJP .. repeat Or if they block the b2 and take the bomb you just NJP and carry on as usual.

Rokinlobster

Nightwolf of the galaxy
raidens teleport isn't that negitive.
Kitana ass has invinciblity frames on the way up as a wake up i thought?
Raiden's teleport is behind you for 19 frames, it is punishable with 12, maybe not on pure reaction but in the splat situation against raiden just assume he is going to try and teleport out.

Wigy

There it is...
Raiden's teleport is behind you for 19 frames, it is punishable with 12, maybe not on pure reaction but in the splat situation against raiden just assume he is going to try and teleport out.
19 frames, are you sure...? If so MIND BLOWN.

If you assume he teleports out you could eat an electric fly.

Not quite fullproof.

Rokinlobster

Nightwolf of the galaxy
19 frames, are you sure...? If so MIND BLOWN.

If you assume he teleports out you could eat an electric fly.

Not quite fullproof.
Yeah im sure. Just mash throw anytime you see him teleport for an easy punish, it auto corrects super well.

Just want to let you know that all your tips are greatly appreciated, and that my game greatly improved by applying most of these tips. The corner combos were especially useful. As for the characters I had troubles with, I managed to destroy ermac and nightwolf, so I'm left with Baraka that still causes me problems.

Thanks for your help, I'll reply here if I have other Cyrax questions.

Shipetopic

50/50 is the best town to live in !
Hi, i am new to cyrax and trying to do this combo:
1,2-->net, 2,1-->ExMidbomb - overheadBomb --FarBomb dash 1,2,1 CloseBomb, net....
I have a huge trouble with connecting: "overheadBomb --FarBomb dash 1,2,1"
Should it be pressed really rapidly or any cancel ? Does anybody have any advice on input ? As far as i learned, overhead should be timed, so both hits would connect.
I practiced around 3-4 hours and didn't get even 1 clean combo =(

Thx!