What's new

New normals, or I2-model?

I hope they normalize the block stun, punishes feel so weird in MKX because some stuff thats punishable still has like 20 frames of blockstun and the timing is so different from move to move.
I expect the whole "normals get some frames of input buffer on reversal" that they added to Injustice 2 will carry over to MK11 and this will be less of an issue.

Slymind

Noob
One of the big reasons it's brought up as a negative for MK compared other games is how it feels in MK and the timing involved with it being weirdly strict.
Like in MK, you have to input all of the dialed combo before the first hit even lands, which causes a large disconnect for some players, making it feel like they are not really in control of the character.
It also causes issues like wiffing entire strings, or making hit conforming really awkward.
This is absolutely true.

I wish they changed that.

xWildx

What a day. What a lovely day.
While I like the idea of a legacy move set, I really don’t want it if we’re going to be stuck with the stubby arms and legs of the MKX era. I’d prefer updated versions of the MK9 move set.

That being said, it’s always concerned me that NRS is really going to have to start reaching when it comes to making up new animations for each game. I mean, how many different ways can you make someone punch? Multiply that by three games, with 30 characters each, and yeah... NRS better start including more weapons into the fighting styles or something lol

NRS is really going to have to start reaching when it comes to making up new animations for each game
I don't think that's a problem. SF has essentially been recycling the same animations since SF2 and it's still a crowd pleaser. There's enough in the new mechanics of the game and changed properties of moves, that still gives players much to learn, while still being true to the character keeping their classic style.

While NRS has made a thing of revamping the game quite considerably at almost every iteration, it wouldn't be a bad thing to keep at least a few animations for a character. It gives them a little more consistency beyond their colour/unique weapon/specials. And while i know it's a game, logically it would make more sense too - why would a character change their style completely over a few years?

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
2D games don't use "strings" in the usual sense, which is usually referred to the predetermined button order to generate attacks you'll see in the move lists of games like tekken, Virtua Fighter, and of course MK.

The only reason people say dial combos for NRS games is because you feel like you have to "dial" your combos in and watch your character perform the sequence. Also part of why their games have been called clunky. I think it's because of the way they implemented 3D strings and 2D special canceling combined with their odd input system. It's especially noticeable when you attack after a jump in or try to special cancel a string with a lot of hits or a long animation. If you wait for the hit to actually connect then input your cancel you're already to late. Which is contrary to how 2D games usually work.

As for the topic: I expect new normals throughout the cast with some returning ones. I just hope there's more thought put into the actual purpose of the moves and not just the cinematics.

Saltea Moonspell

"Mind Over Matter" I dont mind, and X dont matter
That is really important part of the game you guys brought, but what concerns me, the most is the base of the meta game - I hope the meta wont relay that heavily on 50/50 system.

Its just annoying when you are loosing 3/4 of a bar, because you guessed wrong and Scorpion can go with his entire shit again and fuck you up in two wrong guesses.

Samsara

Resident Cynic
An easy fix to that is to make sure you can't convert every stray low or overhead into a full combo. Non-special overheads should be knockdown only, if they lead to a string that string should be knockdown or non-cancelable.

If you wanna play the high low game it should be for moderate bursts of damage not 40+% and guess again.

DDustiNN

MK11 Pocket Guide: Koming Soon to the App Store
That is really important part of the game you guys brought, but what concerns me, the most is the base of the meta game - I hope the meta wont relay that heavily on 50/50 system.

Its just annoying when you are loosing 3/4 of a bar, because you guessed wrong and Scorpion can go with his entire shit again and fuck you up in two wrong guesses.
I agree with this. 50/50 is the worst.

Saltea Moonspell

"Mind Over Matter" I dont mind, and X dont matter
An easy fix to that is to make sure you can't convert every stray low or overhead into a full combo. Non-special overheads should be knockdown only, if they lead to a string that string should be knockdown or non-cancelable.

If you wanna play the high low game it should be for moderate bursts of damage not 40+% and guess again.
I think t
I agree with this. 50/50 is the worst.
The concept is alright, as long as its not the part of the base meta.

Loosing because you guessed wrong, is just retarded.

For me, the way JC, KL had OH starters that designs were honest, because it actually required to condition opponent, in order to land that hit.

In the heat, even a 25f OH starter is a cluster fuck, when there is a threat of low starter that is less then 20f, which led to 25%+ damage.