What's new

New normals, or I2-model?

thesacrifist

Too old for this
What's the general consensus TYM, do you belive they will do what they did from MK9 to MKX and redo everyones normals with new animations, seeing as this is a new engine (albeit probably very easy to port from UE3 to UE4)? Or will they do what they did from IGAU to I2 to put more resources into expanding the roster with new characters?

Some of the leaks have mentioned a new system for pseudo-animation cancelling, will this be integral in elevating the MK brand in the eyes of the non-NRS FGC who apparently hates the dial-a-combo system in MK9, IGAU, MKX and I2

Alec

Noob
Some of the leaks have mentioned a new system for pseudo-animation cancelling, will this be integral in elevating the MK brand in the eyes of the non-NRS FGC who apparently hates the dial-a-combo system in MK9, IGAU, MKX and I2
I got the same impression about that. Since I saw it, I've been wondering if NRS is trying to emulate other fighters in order to "improve" its combo system and/or animations.
It's exciting in a way, because the game might be something never seen before, but it's also quite scary. It's MK, we don't want it to become something else. So I hope it's just an alternate animation style thing.

Then again, the leaks are not a great source to go by anyway, in my opinion.

thesacrifist

Too old for this
Why should MK do something to elevate itself in the eyes of whoever? MK is the most awesome fg, with the best lore, story and presentation. Everybody can piss off and be jealous at the moneys that rain upon NRS and the NRS community.
I am inclined to agree with you, but you can still be uniquely MK and be lauded by the FGC. Bigger community is a good thing.

The dial-a-combo system isn't what makes MK truly unique in my opinion. I obviously don't want them to make it a SF-clone, but taking ideas and using some of what works from wherever and polishing it like mad is surely a recipe for success. This has been both Apple and Blizzards business models for some decades now (let's not get into the 'how the mighty have fallen' discussion here, sure neither of those companies are what they were 10 years ago)

NothingPersonal

Are you not entertained!?
I am inclined to agree with you, but you can still be uniquely MK and be lauded by the FGC. Bigger community is a good thing.

The dial-a-combo system isn't what makes MK truly unique in my opinion. I obviously don't want them to make it a SF-clone, but taking ideas and using some of what works from wherever and polishing it like mad is surely a recipe for success. This has been both Apple and Blizzards business models for some decades now (let's not get into the 'how the mighty have fallen' discussion here, sure neither of those companies are what they were 10 years ago)
I'm contempt with what we've got tbh. I just don't like the looks of the staggers in any fg's, it looks off to me and unatural. Plus dial-a-combos makes it more diverse in looks and options. Johnny is a good example with 113/11,f2. I just like the fluidity of it all. Have never been a fan of the staggers a-la SF.

Jhonnykiller45

Shirai Ryu
Just like with pretty much every other MK, I do believe we will be seeing completely new attack animations for the entire cast.
We might have a few legacy attacks or just the general idea of old normals implemented in the new game, like how Triborg had some MK9 normals like Cyrax's overhead bomb in MKX, but overall I do think we'll see mostly new strings etc.

Derwood1979

Professional Procrastinator
If the character variations are timeline based you could see a mix of returning animations (even retro ones from other timeline versions) and MKX animations. Even all new ones.While a nightmare to balance I wouldn't count it out.

aldazo

Waiting for Havik
Dial-a-combo will return, for sure. And I'm totally fine with it, a lot better for casual play. I think a lot of normals, moves and animations will not come back from MKX, at least I hope so. I wish the mechanics from MK9 will carry over to MK11, but probably it will look more like MKX than MK9.

HeavyNorse

#BlackLivesMatter
I'd like to see them do with MK as they did between MK9 to MKX, giving the characters new combos and inputs. That's one of the things I love about MK (the 3D era excluded), that every game feels fresh and new, and not a copy/paste of past titles, yet recognisable enough to have that MK feeling. I don't mind if special moves keep the same inputs, but I'd like to see different strings and normals.

ZigZag

That Welsh Guy
They'll repeat what they always do, keep some more iconic normals/strings in the game and rework a bunch of new ones into the character 1 new BnB string and 11 pointless -315 strings that have 16 gaps and no cancels :v

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
The thing with Injustice 2 though is, there were considerably more new characters than returning characters. I think most of the returning characters were there more for familiarity's sake and to make sure the casual audience didn't feel like they were getting Street Fighter III syndrome again.

For MK11 though, it's hard to say until we see more. Some characters will get new moves for sure, to what extent I'm not sure.

If variations are still designed to be part of the competitive mode, what it could be is that the base forms of all returning characters will be the same, but they all get entirely new variations?

Time will tell.

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
Alright, real shit people. Wtf is "dial a combo"? Cause it seems to me that NRS uses a similar system of inputs to the majority of modern fighting games. I don't know why that term is so associated with NRS games.

dial a combo
I might be wrong, but I believe it's this: You press the buttons, eg 1124, and you get 4 attack animations, which combo together of which the 2nd, 3rd, 4th may be unique animations you'll see only within that combo. Timing generally isn't that tight, so long as it's not too long and the buttons are the right sequence.

Compared to a string combo which are normal attack animations, eg. 1 or 2 or D1 etc, that are "strung" together based on timing of the attacks. Generally much more timing based and only use the standard animations of the normal attacks. Think Ryu's combo's in SF, all are just his normals strung together. There's no unique animations in any combo (that i'm aware of).

Again, not sure if that's the technical way of describing it, but that's how i've thought of it.

Aramonde

Noob
Alright, real shit people. Wtf is "dial a combo"? Cause it seems to me that NRS uses a similar system of inputs to the majority of modern fighting games. I don't know why that term is so associated with NRS games.
Theotherguy was correct dail a combos are combos were you can input button presses as fast as you want and it will come out. String combos have to be timed specific and use the basic normals of the characters.

Most 2D fighters use strings and most 3D games use dial combos. It's associated with NRS games (mostly in a negative way) because it's not the norm for 2D fighters.

DDustiNN

MK11 Pocket Guide: Koming Soon to the App Store
I'd like to see them do with MK as they did between MK9 to MKX, giving the characters new combos and inputs. That's one of the things I love about MK (the 3D era excluded), that every game feels fresh and new, and not a copy/paste of past titles, yet recognisable enough to have that MK feeling. I don't mind if special moves keep the same inputs, but I'd like to see different strings and normals.
This is my exact thought process. Special move inputs are fine to remain unchanged, but I was honestly a bit disappointed that Injustice 2 reused normals and especially combos.

New game needs to feel new.

FoughtDragon01

Ask me about my Mileena agenda.
At the very least, if the game does end up borrowing heavily from Mkx combo-wise, it at least gives me even more reason to hop back into that game. Still, if they're going to revamp the stamina system like some of us are speculating, then the roster might NEED new movesets to fit the new style of play.

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
This is my exact thought process. Special move inputs are fine to remain unchanged, but I was honestly a bit disappointed that Injustice 2 reused normals and especially combos.

New game needs to feel new.
That's more due to Injustice 2 being made as a "legacy" title. A continuing or completion of a game style rather than a whole new built from the ground up separate game.

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
Theotherguy was correct dail a combos are combos were you can input button presses as fast as you want and it will come out. String combos have to be timed specific and use the basic normals of the characters.

Most 2D fighters use strings and most 3D games use dial combos. It's associated with NRS games (mostly in a negative way) because it's not the norm for 2D fighters.
One of the big reasons it's brought up as a negative for MK compared other games is how it feels in MK and the timing involved with it being weirdly strict.
Like in MK, you have to input all of the dialed combo before the first hit even lands, which causes a large disconnect for some players, making it feel like they are not really in control of the character.
It also causes issues like wiffing entire strings, or making hit conforming really awkward.