What's new

New Mortal Kombat Movie Officially Announced - Said to be the biggest-ever production for South Australia

Some new details on the Mortal Kombat movie (not that one) have been released. We are now moving from vague screencaps of scripts and promises of directors and producers and moving into "this movie is going to start filming".

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/the-mortal-kombat-movie-will-be-filmed-in-australi/1100-6466871/

The Mortal Kombat Movie Will Be Filmed In Australia
It is said to be the biggest-ever production for South Australia

The upcoming Mortal Kombat movie will be filmed and produced in Australia. It was announced today that the action movie will be the largest ever film production for South Australia.

According to reporter Claire Campbell, the production is expected to create 580 jobs and see $70 million AUD get poured into the local economy. In terms of a timeline, pre-production is tipped to begin later this month. SA premier Steven Marshall said the film will be shot in Adelaide. Post-production will be handled by VFX studios in the region.

More specifically, the Mortal Kombat movie will be filmed at Adelaide Studios in Glenside, according to AdelaideNow. "Mortal Kombat will be the largest film production in South Australia's history and highlights the importance of engaging with the world's major production houses," Premier Steven Marshall said at a news conference. "The State Government's investment in Mortal Kombat will enhance the scope and reach of our production and post production capabilities, bringing the promise of fantastic new jobs for the local film industry."
View image on TwitterView image on TwitterView image on Twitter

Steven Marshall, MP
@marshall_steven

SA will be the stage for @newlinecinema's highly anticipated action film, Mortal Kombat.

The film will be shot in Adelaide, utilising our world-class crews & acting talent, with postproduction in our internationally acclaimed VFX and post-production facilities. #SAJobs
12:32 AM - May 14, 2019
The new Mortal Kombat film, which has been in development for a long time, will be directed by Australian commercials director Simon McQuoid who is making his directorial debut with the project. Aquaman director James Wan is producing.

The Mortal Kombat movie is just the latest high-profile production to announce plans to film in Australia. Earlier this year, Marvel announced it would film an upcoming Marvel Cinematic Universe movie in Sydney.
Embedded video

Steven Marshall, MP
@marshall_steven

The largest film production in South Australia's history!@warnerbros will bring their epic action film, Mortal Kombat, to life here in SA. SA locations. SA crews. SA VFX companies.

It will enhance our production capabilities and create new jobs for the local film industry.
1:47 AM - May 14, 2019
The first Mortal Kombat movie, released in 1995, was directed by Paul W.S. Anderson who would go on to make the Resident Evil series. The movie made more than $120 million worldwide, but its 1997 sequel, Annihilation, was a disappointment by comparison with only $51 million.
An internet video series called Mortal Kombat Legacy ran from 2011-2013.

As for the Mortal Kombat video game franchise, the newest instalment, Mortal Kombat 11, was released in April behind mostly positive review scores. For more, check out GameSpot's new feature, "Mortal Kombat 11's Kano Can Teach You A Lot About Australia."

Last edited by a moderator:

Comments

Honestly, I don't care if it uses an original plot. I just hope that the characters are the way they should be. Like in the original movie Sub-Zero and Scorpion were working together under Shang Tsung's control which makes no sense, not to mention Scorpion's spear was alive among other things. I don't want to see anything like that. Scorpion and Sub-Zero should be enemies (unless it's future Kuai Liang and Hanzo), Scorpion's spear shouldn't be alive, etc.

If they don't feel like any of the MK 1-3 story lines could be adapted well, fine. If they don't want to do those but they also don't want to skip ahead, fine. Do an original plot.
Yes and no. I think the first 3 games had a pretty good, but basic story. It's easy to follow without being too convoluted even with all the different factions involved. If they want to flesh out certain parts there's no reason why they can't. But nor should they try and condense too much into one movie. I'm sure if someone really wanted to they could easily expand the basic concept of the MK1 plot into a decent 1.5hr movie. To make a trilogy based on the first 3 games i don't think is too much of a stretch... with the right writers that is.

But definitely keep to the lore as it is, there's 25yrs of it, no reason to be making up random stuff now. No living snakes in Scorpions hand, or SZ/Scorpion being besties etc. The writers just need to fill out the bits in between, and much of that is in the character endings of the games.

For the most part the first MK movie wasn't too bad. Some of the acting and lines weren't great. And it did come across a little cheap, but otherwise it was mostly ok with the story.

Seeing as how they had no film making experience, I doubt that had very little to do with it
John Tobias is the original writer of Mortal Kombat since he is a comic book artist, he doesn't need to be a film maker to agree or disagree with story changes, he worked as an overseer/supervisor to make sure the story went accordingly to what he wrote for Mortal Kombat, including the movie design for costumes and goro he also made sure it was all as close as possible.

Paul W.S Anderson worked directly with someone who created the original content for the movie he was going to adapt to, while he made some decisions, Ed Boon already said on a interview John was there to make sure everything was still Mortal Kombat.

When they didn't call them for the sequel they immediately hated it, not only them, but everyone else.

John Tobias writing its glorious, NRS really took a blow when him and Boon parted ways, because John used to decide everything when it was about story, and he set events for everything until MK deception and part of Armaggedon.
This includes the spins offs such as MK mythologies which he directed himself, and MK special forces which he started directing then he left, the game result was terrible with a second management.

I would like to see no name actors in this new film, no big stars, and keep things simple at first. Focus on the first tournament or just try to keep it grounded to where they can kind of flesh out things more in sequels. I think they should shoot for Superhero Movie / Fantasy, rather than Blood Soaked Guts and Gore. PG13 is where they'll make money, and today, you can get away with a lot in PG13 films, even a few 'fucks' here and there.

The new games are straight up kung fu fantasy, at least in the story, I don't think they have to go horror...

I would like to see no name actors in this new film, no big stars, and keep things simple at first. Focus on the first tournament or just try to keep it grounded to where they can kind of flesh out things more in sequels. I think they should shoot for Superhero Movie / Fantasy, rather than Blood Soaked Guts and Gore. PG13 is where they'll make money, and today, you can get away with a lot in PG13 films, even a few 'fucks' here and there.

The new games are straight up kung fu fantasy, at least in the story, I don't think they have to go horror...
this but opposite happened with marvel's venom, and that movie was worse because it wasn't rated R. Look at john Wick. PERFECT Violence!
EDIT: DO NOT GET ME WRONG I LOVED THE MOVIE

Last edited:
this but opposite happened with marvel's venom, and that movie was worse because it wasn't rated R. Look at john Wick. PERFECT Violence!
I didn't hate Venom, and it had some pretty violent moments, and I thought it was a pretty decent film (should have had Spider-Man in it, but that's a different topic), I think that the Venom of the 90s 'EXTREME' era of comics wouldn't work today. Just as Mortal Kombat has adapted from the 90s in the games, it's a more nuanced piece of media. Sub-Zero and Scorpion are PRIMED for little kids to have action figures of them, and PG13 movies sell merchandise.

I could be wrong, but it's just my opinion.

I didn't hate Venom, and it had some pretty violent moments, and I thought it was a pretty decent film (should have had Spider-Man in it, but that's a different topic), I think that the Venom of the 90s 'EXTREME' era of comics wouldn't work today. Just as Mortal Kombat has adapted from the 90s in the games, it's a more nuanced piece of media. Sub-Zero and Scorpion are PRIMED for little kids to have action figures of them, and PG13 movies sell merchandise.

I could be wrong, but it's just my opinion.
I totally agree with you. Just wanted to specify films like john wick and whatnot that are very successful :)
and deadpool

how about Paul Rudd as johnny Cage?
JC is a martial artist. you need someone who can at least look the part of a martial artist. Paul Rudd?

I would have to really think about who I'd like to see in that role, but off the top of my head Ryan Renolds could play the part. He may be a bit to "Ryan Renolds" for the part, but I could buy him fighting, and he would have the right amount of presence for the role.

JC is a martial artist. you need someone who can at least look the part of a martial artist. Paul Rudd?

I would have to really think about who I'd like to see in that role, but off the top of my head Ryan Renolds could play the part. Y may be a bit to Ryan Renolds for the part, but I could by him fighting, and he would have the right amount of presence for the role.
that and my post above yours were jokes ;)

So the castings list apparently leaked. No JC, but this new character Cole Turner seems like a rebooted JC and he has a young daughter. If there's a time jump, Cassie incoming?

https://comicbook.com/gaming/2019/03/07/rumor-mortal-kombat-movie-reboot-character-list-leaked/
This is old. If you look, this was actually posted March 7th.

I remember that the writer said that it was early/unfinished and they were changing things. I think at one point it even described Liu Kang as a ninja and not a monk.

This is old. If you look, this was actually posted March 7th.

I remember that the writer said that it was early/unfinished and they were changing things. I think at one point it even described Liu Kang as a ninja and not a monk.
Oh damn okay I saw someone talk about it yesterday so I thought it was new.

It was odd that they said Kung Lao was Liu's brother XD