What's new

New Mortal Kombat Movie Officially Announced - Said to be the biggest-ever production for South Australia

Some new details on the Mortal Kombat movie (not that one) have been released. We are now moving from vague screencaps of scripts and promises of directors and producers and moving into "this movie is going to start filming".

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/the-mortal-kombat-movie-will-be-filmed-in-australi/1100-6466871/

The Mortal Kombat Movie Will Be Filmed In Australia
It is said to be the biggest-ever production for South Australia

The upcoming Mortal Kombat movie will be filmed and produced in Australia. It was announced today that the action movie will be the largest ever film production for South Australia.

According to reporter Claire Campbell, the production is expected to create 580 jobs and see $70 million AUD get poured into the local economy. In terms of a timeline, pre-production is tipped to begin later this month. SA premier Steven Marshall said the film will be shot in Adelaide. Post-production will be handled by VFX studios in the region.

More specifically, the Mortal Kombat movie will be filmed at Adelaide Studios in Glenside, according to AdelaideNow. "Mortal Kombat will be the largest film production in South Australia's history and highlights the importance of engaging with the world's major production houses," Premier Steven Marshall said at a news conference. "The State Government's investment in Mortal Kombat will enhance the scope and reach of our production and post production capabilities, bringing the promise of fantastic new jobs for the local film industry."
View image on TwitterView image on TwitterView image on Twitter

Steven Marshall, MP
@marshall_steven

SA will be the stage for @newlinecinema's highly anticipated action film, Mortal Kombat.

The film will be shot in Adelaide, utilising our world-class crews & acting talent, with postproduction in our internationally acclaimed VFX and post-production facilities. #SAJobs
12:32 AM - May 14, 2019
The new Mortal Kombat film, which has been in development for a long time, will be directed by Australian commercials director Simon McQuoid who is making his directorial debut with the project. Aquaman director James Wan is producing.

The Mortal Kombat movie is just the latest high-profile production to announce plans to film in Australia. Earlier this year, Marvel announced it would film an upcoming Marvel Cinematic Universe movie in Sydney.
Embedded video

Steven Marshall, MP
@marshall_steven

The largest film production in South Australia's history!@warnerbros will bring their epic action film, Mortal Kombat, to life here in SA. SA locations. SA crews. SA VFX companies.

It will enhance our production capabilities and create new jobs for the local film industry.
1:47 AM - May 14, 2019
The first Mortal Kombat movie, released in 1995, was directed by Paul W.S. Anderson who would go on to make the Resident Evil series. The movie made more than $120 million worldwide, but its 1997 sequel, Annihilation, was a disappointment by comparison with only $51 million.
An internet video series called Mortal Kombat Legacy ran from 2011-2013.

As for the Mortal Kombat video game franchise, the newest instalment, Mortal Kombat 11, was released in April behind mostly positive review scores. For more, check out GameSpot's new feature, "Mortal Kombat 11's Kano Can Teach You A Lot About Australia."

Last edited by a moderator:

Comments

If it's a reboot, I hope that they're not going to try to throw in as many characters as possible.
NTERVIEWER: “Can you tease what character you’ve chosen as the entry point for audiences into this universe?”

GREG RUSSO: laughs “That’s a tricky one. I’m not at liberty to completely give it away but I can say certainly that the original seven are important. I think they’re important to any adaptation to this property.”

NTERVIEWER: “Can you tease what character you’ve chosen as the entry point for audiences into this universe?”

GREG RUSSO: laughs “That’s a tricky one. I’m not at liberty to completely give it away but I can say certainly that the original seven are important. I think they’re important to any adaptation to this property.”

Good to know, I want a campy martial arts movie but we all know that’s not going to happen.

Am I the only one who liked MK: Annihilation better than the original? It had more characters, more action, etc.

And "bad" acting is subjective.

Shao Kahn's actor Brian Thompson dominated his role.

Same with Liu Kang. The Chosen One really had doubts about himself. Any true hero does!

Am I the only one who liked MK: Annihilation better than the original? It had more characters, more action, etc.

And "bad" acting is subjective.

Shao Kahn's actor Brian Thompson dominated his role.

Same with Liu Kang. The Chosen One really had doubts about himself. Any true hero does!
I mean, if "you" liked it, there's nothing wrong with that. And sure the movie had a moment or two...but honestly, that thing was hot garbage. Plot holes, only a few returning actors, non-nonsensical side stories, a horrendous main plot, technical failures, editing failures,...the list just goes on and on.

Truly a poor successor to the original MK movie. :/

I mean, if "you" liked it, there's nothing wrong with that. And sure the movie had a moment or two...but honestly, that thing was hot garbage. Plot holes, only a few returning actors, non-nonsensical side stories, a horrendous main plot, technical failures, editing failures,...the list just goes on and on.

Truly a poor successor to the original MK movie. :/
Plot hole in what sense?

Well, I mean one of the big ones is Kahn saying the Earth will be unmade in 6 days...and then the movie immediately jettisons that idea and never mentions it again...
Well, I mean one of the big ones is Kahn saying the Earth will be unmade in 6 days...and then the movie immediately jettisons that idea and never mentions it again...
I thought he said the Earth was created in six days. Then he said: "So-to, shall it be destroyed." Meaning, the Earth will vanish quick.

I thought he said the Earth was created in six days. Then he said: "So-to, shall it be destroyed." Meaning, the Earth will vanish quick.
Ehhhhhh... that's stretching it, man.

Also, there's Jax just being left alone on a medical table. No one from the staff took the time to wake him up or help him escape? >.>

Ehhhhhh... that's stretching it, man.

Also, there's Jax just being left alone on a medical table. No one from the staff took the time to wake him up or help him escape? >.>
Military personnel and other public servants are often seen as just a person to fill a seat. It's not unusual if an eruption of emergency happened like that someone would be forgotten.

And Sonya wrestling Mileena in the mud...only to emerge with no mud on her.

Scorpion standing in the shot, when he's supposed to have teleported away.

Nightwolf doing nothing but hanging out in the desert.

The Elder Gods suddenly taking an interest and forcing a Mortal Kombat match, after basically telling Raiden to pound sand.

Raiden relinquishing his godly powers...why?

Sindel stopping short of killing the heroes with her megaphone mouth. Like she destroys half a cliffside...but then stops just short of murdering them.

Shao Kahn indiscriminately murdering Rain for doing the exact same thing Kahn had just done a few scenes before, when Shinnok admonished him for that very act.

Baraka

Sheeva

Liu and Kitana doing nothing to help Sub against Scorpion (this isn't a 1v1 tournament anymore).

Honestly, I don't care if it uses an original plot. I just hope that the characters are the way they should be. Like in the original movie Sub-Zero and Scorpion were working together under Shang Tsung's control which makes no sense, not to mention Scorpion's spear was alive among other things. I don't want to see anything like that. Scorpion and Sub-Zero should be enemies (unless it's future Kuai Liang and Hanzo), Scorpion's spear shouldn't be alive, etc.

If they don't feel like any of the MK 1-3 story lines could be adapted well, fine. If they don't want to do those but they also don't want to skip ahead, fine. Do an original plot.

Just keep the characters and the world the way it should be.

Hopefully they go for the R rating. While I liked the old movie as a kid I always felt it kind of missed the savageness of the games in a way. I understand why and I can see the difficulty in delivering that while staying true to source material and not creating too much fodder to kill off (Art Lean) so I guess its a tricky balance to strike, plus with movies you have to think about sequels so having a lot of the notable characters getting killed in one movie might not be a good idea when thinking ahead.

at this point, it's just a matter to "wait and see" ... from all attempts to explore MK franchise into the big screen, only the first movie from 1995 was in fact, entertainment and amusing material ..... the sequel, and all those "directly to TV" series attempts were miserable failures and waste of time ..... MK needs someone that loves the source material and put heart and effort to make a movie that honour the MK game legacy ..... something more or less kinda that they did with MCU, they had to do with MK in order to work well. :)
The first movie was only good because Ed Boon and John Tobias were directly involved with