What's new

New Mortal Kombat Movie Officially Announced - Said to be the biggest-ever production for South Australia

Some new details on the Mortal Kombat movie (not that one) have been released. We are now moving from vague screencaps of scripts and promises of directors and producers and moving into "this movie is going to start filming".

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/the-mortal-kombat-movie-will-be-filmed-in-australi/1100-6466871/

The Mortal Kombat Movie Will Be Filmed In Australia
It is said to be the biggest-ever production for South Australia

The upcoming Mortal Kombat movie will be filmed and produced in Australia. It was announced today that the action movie will be the largest ever film production for South Australia.

According to reporter Claire Campbell, the production is expected to create 580 jobs and see $70 million AUD get poured into the local economy. In terms of a timeline, pre-production is tipped to begin later this month. SA premier Steven Marshall said the film will be shot in Adelaide. Post-production will be handled by VFX studios in the region.

More specifically, the Mortal Kombat movie will be filmed at Adelaide Studios in Glenside, according to AdelaideNow. "Mortal Kombat will be the largest film production in South Australia's history and highlights the importance of engaging with the world's major production houses," Premier Steven Marshall said at a news conference. "The State Government's investment in Mortal Kombat will enhance the scope and reach of our production and post production capabilities, bringing the promise of fantastic new jobs for the local film industry."
View image on TwitterView image on TwitterView image on Twitter

Steven Marshall, MP
@marshall_steven

SA will be the stage for @newlinecinema's highly anticipated action film, Mortal Kombat.

The film will be shot in Adelaide, utilising our world-class crews & acting talent, with postproduction in our internationally acclaimed VFX and post-production facilities. #SAJobs
12:32 AM - May 14, 2019
The new Mortal Kombat film, which has been in development for a long time, will be directed by Australian commercials director Simon McQuoid who is making his directorial debut with the project. Aquaman director James Wan is producing.

The Mortal Kombat movie is just the latest high-profile production to announce plans to film in Australia. Earlier this year, Marvel announced it would film an upcoming Marvel Cinematic Universe movie in Sydney.
Embedded video

Steven Marshall, MP
@marshall_steven

The largest film production in South Australia's history!@warnerbros will bring their epic action film, Mortal Kombat, to life here in SA. SA locations. SA crews. SA VFX companies.

It will enhance our production capabilities and create new jobs for the local film industry.
1:47 AM - May 14, 2019
The first Mortal Kombat movie, released in 1995, was directed by Paul W.S. Anderson who would go on to make the Resident Evil series. The movie made more than $120 million worldwide, but its 1997 sequel, Annihilation, was a disappointment by comparison with only $51 million.
An internet video series called Mortal Kombat Legacy ran from 2011-2013.

As for the Mortal Kombat video game franchise, the newest instalment, Mortal Kombat 11, was released in April behind mostly positive review scores. For more, check out GameSpot's new feature, "Mortal Kombat 11's Kano Can Teach You A Lot About Australia."

Last edited by a moderator:

Comments

at this point, it's just a matter to "wait and see" ... from all attempts to explore MK franchise into the big screen, only the first movie from 1995 was in fact, entertainment and amusing material ..... the sequel, and all those "directly to TV" series attempts were miserable failures and waste of time ..... MK needs someone that loves the source material and put heart and effort to make a movie that honour the MK game legacy ..... something more or less kinda that they did with MCU, they had to do with MK in order to work well. :)

The problem with video game movies is they never stick with the actual plot from the games, they usually change or completely remove stuff and it just becomes it's own thing instead of being a movie adaptation. kinda like what happened with the Tomb Raider reboot movie. They took stuff from the first two games, changed and took important parts out completely and it was a shit show. If they choose one storyline from the games and stick with it, it should be good.

not really, a lot of them are freaking great and more entertaining than most movie today.
Like what? Most videogame movies are terrible and borderline unwatchable, especially when they try and follow the plot of a videogame. The games might be fun, and might have a fun plot for a video game, but I don't really think the plots actually translate to a movie too often.

Yea It was something that looked good with cgi
and was funny...IMO also the voice acting! yesssss
My favorite part was when the suit basically told Eddy "on my home planet I was loser, just like you" and I immeadiately lost interest in the current movie and started to wonder what it would be like to have an origin story for the symbiot suit, of him being the classic high nerd or something because he wasn't as good at murding and devouring other creatures as the other symbiots.

Like what? Most videogame movies are terrible and borderline unwatchable, especially when they try and follow the plot of a videogame. The games might be fun, and might have a fun plot for a video game, but I don't really think the plots actually translate to a movie too often.
wow I brought us off topic lol my bad, BUT have you not ever liked halo? lol :)

While i agree that so far only a small amount of videogame adaptions were good/okay, there are lots of video game plots and storys that would make cool movies. I would totally watch a movie adaptation of Last of Us, DA:Origins, Witcher or even Mafia 3 for example.
With the right budget and people they could be great. Sadly these types of movie mostly dont gets neither and end up being bad.

Video game movies are bad because they're not actual adapting the plot, they're taking important stuff away. I've never watched a video game movie that actually followed the plot of the games faithfully. Resident Evil did whatever they wanted and most of them sucked ass. The new Tomb Raider's plot was complete horse shit and made no sense because they took storylines from 2 games and change Himiko completely. But the story in these games are actually incredible and deep. ME 1-2, Spider-man, Rise of the Tomb Raider trilogy, Uncharted, Last of Us, etc., all these games have amazing stories. I don't see how plots can't translate to movie with CGI these days? That makes no sense dude.

You want to know how this movie gets made correctly?

They're going to have to not take it too seriously. Meaning, it can't be a super serious OMG SUSPENSE plot when they write it. It has to have that Mortal Kombat hokeyness. That cheesy predictability. Mixed with over the top combat and Avengers budget special effects. Every fight should have as many one-liners crammed into it as possible, and no one should die (This is a movie, and in every game's story modes the good guys don't kill, and always win).

And it should end with Cassie Cage kicking Shinnok's ass, and Sonya Blade beating Shao Kahn, and Johnny Cage beating Shang Tsung, and Jacqui Briggs beating Onaga.

They're going to have to not take it too seriously. Meaning, it can't be a super serious OMG SUSPENSE plot when they write it. It has to have that Mortal Kombat hokeyness. That cheesy predictability. Mixed with over the top combat and Avengers budget special effects. Every fight should have as many one-liners crammed into it as possible, and no one should die (This is a movie, and in every game's story modes the good guys don't kill, and always win).

And it should end with Cassie Cage kicking Shinnok's ass, and Sonya Blade beating Shao Kahn, and Johnny Cage beating Shang Tsung, and Jacqui Briggs beating Onaga.
If Cassie's not in this I'm raging.

annnd an after credit scene of Hsu Hao and Mocap in a dabbing contest with cassie killing them and dabbing over their bodies
would you want this to end the movie?

To each their own. There are plenty of video games that have stories that I really enjoy playing through, but that I don't think would be that great in a direct to screen translation. To me a video game is just by nature going to have a different plot structure. Same way that not all books work as a direct to movie adaptation, or not all comic books work as a direct to screen adaptation.

And if you pre-order tickets to the movie and buy the premium version, you get access to the super awesome bonus scene already included in the movie but unavailable unless you've pre-ordered. plus in the future you get access to the additional scene content they plan on making available later.

And if you pre-order tickets to the movie and buy the premium version, you get access to the super awesome bonus scene already included in the movie but unavailable unless you've pre-ordered. plus in the future you get access to the additional scene content they plan on making available later.
sounds familiar