What's new

New Guy Around Here (In terms of both the forum and game ha ha).

Hi everyone. I'm an MK newbie and I'd actually found out about this resource based off two other MK boards (the Xbox and MKOnline if anyone wanted the actual details). Things do look more comprehensive here than the latter, and the interface seems cooler too IMO. So yeah, I have a few newbish questions here and while the site's done a pretty good job regarding its set guides, there are some things I do want to clarify through forum use.

The first thing is regarding aa moves, notably used for the sake of juggles. What exactly would be the input for an aa move per character? Would that be u HP, u/f HP, an uppercut, or what specifically? The question would apply to whatever strike input button might be involved too.

Another question is regarding fatality input. When I'm inputting fatalities should I be able to see the animated translation of my input, (for example, if I press up should I actually see my character jump) or should input be so quick that each command should cancel another command out, if the priority frames are as great as a jump or something along those lines at the very least anyway?

Aside from questions about Motaro (but as there's a thread dedicated to that I'll check that out first) I can't really think of any other questions off the top of my head, but I might post around again asking some questions if need be. Thanks in advance to anyone who'll help and I hope to become a more active member of the boards.

oBryant

Noob
Hi everyone. I'm an MK newbie and I'd actually found out about this resource based off two other MK boards (the Xbox and MKOnline if anyone wanted the actual details). Things do look more comprehensive here than the latter, and the interface seems cooler too IMO. So yeah, I have a few newbish questions here and while the site's done a pretty good job regarding its set guides, there are some things I do want to clarify through forum use.

The first thing is regarding aa moves, notably used for the sake of juggles. What exactly would be the input for an aa move per character? Would that be u HP, u/f HP, an uppercut, or what specifically? The question would apply to whatever strike input button might be involved too.

Another question is regarding fatality input. When I'm inputting fatalities should I be able to see the animated translation of my input, (for example, if I press up should I actually see my character jump) or should input be so quick that each command should cancel another command out, if the priority frames are as great as a jump or something along those lines at the very least anyway?

Aside from questions about Motaro (but as there's a thread dedicated to that I'll check that out first) I can't really think of any other questions off the top of my head, but I might post around again asking some questions if need be. Thanks in advance to anyone who'll help and I hope to become a more active member of the boards.
... welcome to UMK.com ...

I would've posted within the general section of the forum rather than one of the sub-forums, but you need at least five posts to do that for whatever reason... If the ellipses were meant to portray subtle disgust regarding my introduction post.

Well, welcome

And to answer your questions an aa move requires you to time off their jumps.

A regular hp will become an anti-air hp if you time it so they get knocked out of the air to start a very powerful juggle

An aaroundhouse orr aahk is a great way to knock people out of the air

fatality input requires you to hit the buttons quickly at the end

if it says up, press up, then the next thing after immediately.

Anyway, if you browse around the forum i'm SURE you'll find everything you're looking for

use search!

It's not abnormal for people to struggle with juggling, relaunching etc. when they're first picking up the game right? Because I've mostly just been focusing on the ground game.

Uhhh, don't worry man if you just picked the game up, don't bother with aahp's.

Try aahk's. Juggling and relaunching is hard. Usually everyone learns Robo smokes newbie juggle (Teleport Uppercut, spear, autocombo)

I'd suggest Ermac for a starting character to learning some juggles. That's what I did. Also, I used Sindel too. She's a powerful character.

Ummm...as for easy juggling i'd suggest Ermac definitely. Everyone else has their ground game to mix up with juggles. Ermac is a primary juggler.

You can popup into any juggle you want with ermac, easy or hard.

I'd suggest trying to go to the strategy guides to find out his maximum damage juggles.

Well that sounds cool but I believe he's an unlockable character, and as of having the game for a day to two I can't beat Shao Khan yet lol... I just saw some videos featuring infinite combos of Stryker's that I think I'd be able to pull off with a little practice which might help beat him a little bit anyway... I was worried Jax might be the only or one of few characters that that combo might work against though, but even if the latter is true I would think Shao Khan's hit boxes would be really large right?

I actually originally had wanted to pick up Sindel and I find it reasonably fun to play as her, but implementing her scream properly into my game anyway is really difficult for me, and from what I know that's really the only great thing about her uniquely anyway... As of me playing with her so far the only point I can use it well is for wake-up... Otherwise it's hard for me to buffer the three 6 movements without getting punished like crazy. I haven't even tried using levitate or anything involved with that yet as I figured I'd just get punished for using it wrong almost constantly.

Sindels scream owns people who jump a lot.

Anyway, Strykers infinite is doable vs. jax, male ninjas, female ninjas (hard), unmasked sub, etc.

That's his semi-infinite though.

Anyway, it seems your much newer than I originally anticipated.

Shao Kahns easy man, just keep trying and you'll eventually beat him. Mostly what you'll find here is people who like vs play.

You won't find many people giving advice for the AI, mostly for vs play.

As for XBL, if you play there, add my GT i'll show you some things. I don't have a mic however, but until I do, I guess you can just watch and learn.

Alright thanks for the offer then; my gt's venomthanosfan so you'll know who I am when I send the request. I guess you might have interpreted me being reasonably familiarized due to my knowledge of fighting game terminology and/or abbreviations; while I'm not a fighting game newbie, all the games I'm skilled within are 3D, hence me being pretty newbish with regards to skill but not really notation or that sort of stuff within this game.

With regards to your point regarding people only actually caring about vs human tactics in contrast to vs. AI, I would totally expect that as the AI at its core will always behave the same way, although obviously different difficulty levels would probably make it harder to read or the like. It's sort of pathetic I couldn't beat the boss (on novice) after at least 15 tries I'm sure, but as my juggle game's pretty much nonexistent so far it seems really hard to get the edge over Khan otherwise, especially as pretty much all of his moves give him so much advantage either on hit or otherwise (working the ground game is almost impossible against him I mean to portray, which is what I like to do).

Nava

Noob
It's sort of pathetic I couldn't beat the boss (on novice) after at least 15 tries I'm sure, but as my juggle game's pretty much nonexistent so far it seems really hard to get the edge over Khan otherwise, especially as pretty much all of his moves give him so much advantage either on hit or otherwise (working the ground game is almost impossible against him I mean to portray, which is what I like to do)
Hey dont sweat it dude. Khan is difficult when you dont have a strategy to use against him, I was in the same boat as you at one point.

The strategy that I use, and that im sure numerous others do also, is this.

At the start of the match, start walking backwards. Khan will either Shoulder Rush, or the Shoulder Upper, shoot a green fireball, and sometimes stand still. If he does the Shoulder Rush, keep walking back until he almost hits you, then duck and hit him with an uppercut. Immediately after you recover from your uppercut position, run up to him and hit him with a Pop-up combo(givin you have one), and knock him on his ass. And continue to try and use the Pop-up combo until he blocks it. If he does the Shoulder Upper, just duck, and smash him with an uppercut, and then do the same thing as if he Shoulder Rushed.
Once he blocks it start walking backwards, and just repeat the above strat. This works for me everytime, I cant remember the last time I lost to Khan.

Hopefully this helps you out :)