What's new

New 52 Discussion

Basically I thought we'd create an ongoing comic thread for whatever is going on in the DCU. Villains Month, Trinity War, etc. Let's talk about our reactions and opinions on those things. Or just any book you're currently reading and why you like it.

Hellion_96

xX_Hellion96_Xx
I've just gotten into the 52 last month. I've only read all of flash's issues and have all of justice league and the first half of trinity war coming in the mail. Flash has been really great so far and the art is amazing.

RWDY Nori

Where is crossplay?
I can't say I'm up to date on current comics, I'm only now getting around to reading all the new 52 launch titles. I'm so lazy I wait for the graphic novels to read them at once. I have no more patience to wait week to week. I will say all the Batman titles are very well written and entertaining

I've just gotten into the 52 last month. I've only read all of flash's issues and have all of justice league and the first half of trinity war coming in the mail. Flash has been really great so far and the art is amazing.
Flash is super solid, in my opinion. For me, Justice League is one of those titles that requires patience and then it'll start to pay off as it comes along. I really enjoy it now, so I'd recommend it.

RWDY Nori

Where is crossplay?
I can't get into Justice League. If you really look at their powers, they absolutely cannot lose to anybody. Batman to me is entertaining cause at least he has weaknesses. Superman is bad ass, but again.........he can't lose:(

Solo_Is_The_Name

Flash In Training.
Same here the only comic I am reading currently is New 52 The Flash and I am really hype for Reverse Flash. Rumors are it could be Wally West.

I can't get into Justice League. If you really look at their powers, they absolutely cannot lose to anybody. Batman to me is entertaining cause at least he has weaknesses. Superman is bad ass, but again.........he can't lose:(
No there are people capable of taking him out... Despero, Amazo, ANY mystical/magical threat that is remotely powerful, etc. Cheetah managed to break his skin and possess him because she's the avatar of a cheetah deity. And that's not too crazy of a concept. At least for me. They've dumbed down Superman's ridiculous power levels in the New 52, so that's helped a lot.

But, to each their own. Anyone heard about the huge spoilers for what Forever Evil is really about?

Mt Mutombo

Banned
What you mean he can't lose? lol

Brainiac, Darkseid, Doomsday, Mongul, Zod, Metallo, Hank Henshaw, Amazo...he has balanced out rogues, some of em even more powerful than he is.

RWDY Nori

Where is crossplay?
No there are people capable of taking him out... Despero, Amazo, ANY mystical/magical threat that is remotely powerful, etc. Cheetah managed to break his skin and possess him because she's the avatar of a cheetah deity. And that's not too crazy of a concept. At least for me. They've dumbed down Superman's ridiculous power levels in the New 52, so that's helped a lot.
I am noticing that everybody in New 52 is a lot stronger and Superman is dumbed down a bit (he had to be, in theory, very few chars can beat him). What's to stop superman from flying away from cheetah and just chucking meteorites at her? Or super speed behind her and snap her neck? How can she stop frost breath, eye lasers? Same shit as Injustice, fly away and zone her the fuck out. I don't see Cheetah (realistically) beating Kal El.

Amazo I agree w/, forgot about him. Flash/WW seem to have really leveled up

Bro Namath Look up Superman's powers, there is no way, in theory he should lose minus VERY few people (including Darkseid, Doomsday). He was made way too strong. I get it, I know it's a comic and in order to sell more you have to weaken him sometimes, but very few chars should beat him. Shit, in all honesty, Black Adam should be ruling the world. Nobody should ever touch him

Zero-Shift

B-List Hero
Mentioned it but I'm having a hard time getting into the New 52. Only books I'm really enjoying are Wonder Woman and Aquaman. Lantern related books are okay too, mostly because their continuity wasn't completely erased.

Though I love the new look I hate what they've done to Martian Manhunter's personality. He's one of my absolute favorite DC heroes. Really hate what they've done to The Question too.

Compbros

Man of Tomorrow

Superman can lose to a ton of people and while Batman has a.....let's say, bigger chance of losing based on him being just a human, he's just as unbeatable as any other hero.

What's to stop superman from flying away from cheetah and just chucking meteorites at her? Or super speed behind her and snap her neck? How can she stop frost breath, eye lasers? Same shit as Injustice, fly away and zone her the fuck out. I don't see Cheetah (realistically) beating Kal El.
Because he's not a killer and doesn't want to cause casualties or collateral damage from hurling a meteorite. What's to stop Batman from snapping Joker's neck every time he's beaten him? Just because Supes can doesn't mean he will because it's not his nature. He needs to be close enough for breath otherwise surrounding areas/people can be hit and lasers would greatly injure or even kill her.

At least 3 people in the JLA alone can beat Superman, people need to get out of this "Superman is unbeatable/unstoppable" mindset.

Mentioned it but I'm having a hard time getting into the New 52. Only books I'm really enjoying are Wonder Woman and Aquaman. Lantern related books are okay too, mostly because their continuity wasn't completely erased.

WW is the best individual book and Aquaman's is awesome. There's only like 5 worth reading right now.

I am noticing that everybody in New 52 is a lot stronger and Superman is dumbed down a bit (he had to be, in theory, very few chars can beat him). What's to stop superman from flying away from cheetah and just chucking meteorites at her? Or super speed behind her and snap her neck? How can she stop frost breath, eye lasers? Same shit as Injustice, fly away and zone her the fuck out. I don't see Cheetah (realistically) beating Kal El.

Amazo I agree w/, forgot about him. Flash/WW seem to have really leveled up
She ambushed him in a jungle. And she's probably as fast as him, if not more so in certain aspects. She took him out first which was smart of her. She could probably dodge heat vision but the breath could be a pretty big problem lol.

Wonder Woman was kicking Superman's ass before the New 52, but for some reason everybody seems to notice how much of a badass she is now in this JL.

But yeah downplaying Superman, at least a little bit, was necessary and I'm glad they did it. He's still very much the most powerful member of the team and all that, which is good.

xX_Atrocitus_Xx

Blood & Rage
ive been reading all the GL comics for a while now i love the red hood minus all the mystic bull they are pulling deathstroke comic just ended but i enjoyed it....and im reading trinity war but kinda meh about it

RWDY Nori

Where is crossplay?
Compbros

I'm talking about people that actually fight Superman. Flash has no reason to fight him. Batman can't hang w/the JLA, THAT mindset is what people need to stop. Superman CAN w/his powers destroy nearly everybody. Look at Injustice, that's the best "what if" superman. IN THEORY, his powers (not talking about his personality), he will rarely rarely lose.

Though I love the new look I hate what they've done to Martian Manhunter's personality. He's one of my absolute favorite DC heroes. Really hate what they've done to The Question too.
I'm really hoping they're going to expand on MMH a lot, soon. I think he's still in a stage where he's grieving the loss of a world he was completely connected to, on top of adjusting to the new need to communicate with facial expressions, movement, and voice alone. What they need to do is show exactly what went down between him and the Justice League that made him leave so violently. That could explain a lot of his current motivations and what his goals are. I have high hopes for him, he's just more of a mystery still than anything and that's getting old.

Havent been reading as much as i want to lately but so far im enjoying earth 2 and swamp thing. Suicide squad was kinda bleh so that was a disappointment. Justice league dark is the next on my list so ill update once i get through that.

Compbros

Man of Tomorrow
Compbros

I'm talking about people that actually fight Superman. Flash has no reason to fight him. Batman can't hang w/the JLA, THAT mindset is what people need to stop. Superman CAN w/his powers destroy nearly everybody. Look at Injustice, that's the best "what if" superman. IN THEORY, his powers (not talking about his personality), he will rarely rarely lose.

I wasn't talking Batman, I was talking Wonder Woman, Flash and Cyborg. Manhunter and Aquaman could probably beat him as well.

Injustice is just one interpretation of Superman beating a lot of people and he actually isn't shown fighting many people: Aquaman (I think), Shazam (though it was practically a sneak attack), Green Lantern, Wonder Woman and Superman. Lex would've beat him if not for Shazam considering how susceptible to Kryptonite that Clark was. A lot of people that had a good chance against him were on his side (Adam, Shazam, Flash, Grundy, Doomsday). He beat WW and GL, Aquaman was unresolved really. People didn't really stand up to him because of who he was, he could've been beaten by members of his own team.

RWDY Nori

Where is crossplay?
Flash would be the only one to truly beat him. Cyborg? Come on my man. WW would put up a fight but would eventually die. MMH and Aquaman, same thing. The JLA is far from balanced. Superman (pre-New52) was near god mode w/a handful of people being able to actually beat him realisticall. The writers dumbing down some fights in his opponents favor doesn't make it realistic

Flash would be the only one to truly beat him. Cyborg? Come on my man. WW would put up a fight but would eventually die. MMH and Aquaman, same thing. The JLA is far from balanced. Superman (pre-New52) was near god mode w/a handful of people being able to actually beat him realisticall. The writers dumbing down some fights in his opponents favor doesn't make it realistic
Like I said before, Wonder Woman kicked his ass very solidly and realistically before the New 52. Her weapons are forged by gods, making them mystical, which Superman is not invulnerable to. Their confrontation ended with her slitting his throat with her tiara. And he's also gotten taken to town by Martian Manhunter before. He has no defense against J'onn's telepathy. Whatsoever. And depending on the writer, Aquaman has the telepathy advantage too.

Zero-Shift

B-List Hero
I'm really hoping they're going to expand on MMH a lot, soon. I think he's still in a stage where he's grieving the loss of a world he was completely connected to, on top of adjusting to the new need to communicate with facial expressions, movement, and voice alone. What they need to do is show exactly what went down between him and the Justice League that made him leave so violently. That could explain a lot of his current motivations and what his goals are. I have high hopes for him, he's just more of a mystery still than anything and that's getting old.
I don't like it. I got a bad feeling Martian Manhunter is just a character that's over Johns' head. Elaborating on the Justice League encounter could help but I doubt it would alleviate my feeling that this J'onn is a totally different character. Pre-New 52 J'onn was a big softy. A somewhat mournful but compassionate philosopher who respects life. This new one feels standoffish, bitter, vengeful and violent. He's like one of those "ends justify the means" hard-asses. I've lost count of how many people he's casually mind-wiped. Old J'onn would never do that...

...But goddammit if that isn't his best costume ever. He looks like some kind of badass warrior monk. Man it's so awesome. XD

RWDY Nori

Where is crossplay?
UnadvisedGoose From what I remember, WW is not as fast as Superman and why does he ever have to fight her up close? I don't think he really needs to be in range against MMH/Aquaman. Maybe I'm wrong, but Superman IMO at his peak, just straight up against them, it's always going to seem they have a harder time to beat him

And I totally didn't mean to hijack your thread lol

I don't like it. I got a bad feeling Martian Manhunter is just a character that's over Johns' head. Elaborating on the Justice League encounter could help but I doubt it would alleviate my feeling that this J'onn is a totally different character. Pre-New 52 J'onn was a big softy. A somewhat mournful but compassionate philosopher who respects life. This new one feels standoffish, bitter, vengeful and violent. He's like one of those "ends justify the means" hard-asses. I've lost count of how many people he's casually mind-wiped. Old J'onn would never do that...

...But goddammit if that isn't his best costume ever. He looks like some kind of badass warrior monk. Man it's so awesome. XD
I know, right?! I love the look lol. Yeah, I'm just hoping and praying that that is where they're taking him, eventually... I'm just waiting for the moment that they have him realize humanity's potential to act as one like his old species used to, but in a different way. Then enter the philosophical softie we know and love, but has a greater disdain for the awful things he's done in the past. Maybe if more books get cancelled someone competent will be able to push an ongoing solo book for him... I would cry of joy.