Not open for further replies.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Do you consider chess a sport?
Well here's the definition of sport.

sport
spôrt/
noun

an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.
      "team sports such as baseball and soccer"
      synonyms: (competitive) game(s), physical recreation, physical activity, physical exercise, athletics;
      pastime
      "we did a lot of sports"
      informal
      a person who behaves in a good or specified way in response to teasing, defeat, or a similarly trying situation.
      "go on, be a sport!"
verb

wear or display (a distinctive or noticeable item).
      "he was sporting a huge handlebar mustache"
      synonyms: wear, have on, dress in; More
      amuse oneself or play in a lively, energetic way.
____________________________________________________________________________________

So do I consider chess a sport? Ultimately no. Because it lacks physically challenging activity, But it's more of a mental game and I respect the skill level required which is well above most board games and vid games for that matter. I love Chess, I suck in in horribly but understand it's challenging mentally, strategically but physically I'm just sitting there. I know some people consider it a sport, played professionally etc (lots of games are that we don't even know about) but then you have sports like Golf that get mocked for just walking around but it still requires a physically skilled asset, as well as accuracy. And mind you, I HATE Golf but I admit the game's skill level is mostly mental as well as physical.

Physical sports(Baseball, BB, Football, Soccer, Hockey etc) require not just mental focus but physically gifted requirements, endurance, skills etc.

Do You consider all games(video and board a sport) or do you consider any game in general a sport?

Last edited:

Ram

Buluc Chabtan

sport
spôrt/
noun

an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.
      synonyms: (competitive) game(s), physical recreation, physical activity, physical exercise, athletics;
      pastime
      "we did a lot of sports"
      informal
      a person who behaves in a good or specified way in response to teasing, defeat, or a similarly trying situation.
      "go on, be a sport!"
verb

____________________________________________________________________________________

So do I consider chess a sport? Ultimately no. Because it lacks physically challenging activity, But it's more of a mental game and I respect the skill level required which is well above most board games and vid games for that matter. I love Chess, I suck in in horribly but understand it's challenging mentally, strategically but physically I'm just sitting there. I know some people consider it a sport, played professionally etc (lots of games are that we don't even know about) but then you have sports like Golf that get mocked for just walking around but it still requires a physically skilled asset, as well as accuracy. And mind you, I HATE Golf but I admit the game's skill level is mostly mental as well as physical.

Physical sports(Baseball, BB, Football, Soccer, Hockey etc) require not just mental focus but physically gifted requirements, endurance, skills etc.

Do You consider all games(video and board a sport) or do you consider any game in general a sport?
I think that after an intense chess game, or a nail-biting ft3 in Injustice 2, I come out of it a little more physically drained than when I went in (sweating a bit, heart is racing, head is spinning, etc.). So although I'm just sitting there, there is some physical shit happening to me lol.
Physical sports are obviously not the same as esports or chess. However, I agree with DMS that just because we are talking about esports vs. physical sports, doesn't mean it's "drama" all of a sudden instead of "competitive hype". In any case, we can agree to disagree if you'd like. At the end of the day, I just wanna see Dragon vs. Sonic, first to whatever lol

EDIT: as an aside, the point is that Pig didn't insult Dragon or Sonic. These guys are 2 of the best (if not the 2 best) Injustice 2 players right now and everyone knows it, so it would be awesome to get a little (more) rivalry going and watch that play out.

Slymind

Noob
That’s not a troll post
His call out was unexpected, nontheless, i say you shouldn't let get it to you, it might be disheartening to see someone from within a company you supported so much to come at you like this(i would be), but hey, we are all humans, maybe it was just the moment, keep doing your thing, you did noting wrong.

MKF30

I think that after an intense chess game, or a nail-biting ft3 in Injustice 2, I come out of it a little more physically drained than when I went in (sweating a bit, heart is racing, head is spinning, etc.). So although I'm just sitting there, there is some physical shit happening to me lol.
Physical sports are obviously not the same as esports or chess. However, I agree with DMS that just because we are talking about esports vs. physical sports, doesn't mean it's "drama" all of a sudden instead of "competitive hype". In any case, we can agree to disagree if you'd like. At the end of the day, I just wanna see Dragon vs. Sonic, first to whatever lol
Sounds like mental pressure which can lead to anxiety(depending on the person) which does have a physical effect. I have anxiety (sucks) sometimes so I know what you mean, some players are calm though I've noticed. I used to be like that in close racing games and MK matches, now days if I compete in general or play seriously no matter the game I try to tell myself it's just a game, who cares. That and well my current job has insane hours sometimes I work til midnight, others to 7 pm from morning. Varies you know?

I was just referring to the physically moving around, endurance etc part. When I played baseball, I was a RF and catcher. I hated catching it's fun, don't get me wrong but squatting for 9 innings 3-4 hours straight a few days a week is draining. MLB guys that shit has to be tiring 162 games lol. Hockey too, but they get roughed up daily. Football too though they get a few days off at least, but still rough. BB, pretty much any game that's played daily throughout the year. Tennis too, talk about physical and mentally challenging. But yeah you get the point lol.

Yeah I don't mind watching these guys play, I just think the added drama like @SoundsLikePAUSE stated isn't necessary so I guess you can say I feel the way he does in that regard but yeah. I'm just looking forward to the TMNT, I lost interest a little bit in I2 between that and this newer job past few months haven't even had much time to play honestly myself. But once the TMNT hit I'm so using Raphael, he's my boy!

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
Was the poll question trying to ask who the better player is right now, or who is the 2017 champion? I'm fine with the first question, I think the second question is uncalled for.

I don't know what EB is trying to accomplish infiltrating our scene and hype to create whatever safe space he's envisioned for the players, but it was a bad move and embarrassing on his part. Pig I hope this doesn't deter you forever, you have the support from every one on this issue. You're one of the very few producing engaging and progressive content in the scene, no one wants to see you go.

If you do I'll try to produce some of my own shit but I have more of a NPR radio style of talking it's just not hype!

I mean. Boon fucked up. Pig was creating buzz around his game in between seasons and tournaments. Pig is a face of the NRS scene and has been a passionate advocate for 10 plus years.

Why boon would crap on him is beyond me and truely shows how unappreciative he is of fans. All about that money boon. This sucks.

Linkuei82

Live by the sword, Die by the sword
Ed must have been having a bad day or something. There was nothing wrong with that tweet. Fans love rivalry's in all competitions. Don't understand Ed in this at all.

I dont understand what you all care so much what boon said ? You can write what you want and he may like it or not....it does not matter lol
Bc when u invest years of you lif in something and help promote his game it comes across like a slap in the face.

Pig was even on a national tv show about the game that I’m sure influenced sales. Why should boon stick it to a guy that has been helping him out for 10 years

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player

sport
spôrt/
noun

pastime
      "we did a lot of sports"
      informal
      "go on, be a sport!"
verb

Did you know the reaction time to respond to a 95MPH fast ball in baseball is equal to reacting to a 15F OH?

navaroNe

Nobody's afraid of Bruce Wayne
Ed should be embracing the fact that someone is trying to create a stir and generate some interest in the game, that's what will get us more viewers and earn them more money in the long run. NRS themselves have been pretty god awful at promoting this game so they could use the help. They did alright with promoting ELeague near the end but everything else was a wash. Anyways, I don't think Pig did anything wrong at all and it was pretty clear his intentions were to help generate a buzz for the next tournament they both go to which would obviously draw more attention to the event.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I dont understand what you all care so much what boon said ? You can write what you want and he may like it or not....it does not matter lol
Him liking it or not isn’t the issue. He essentially publicly scolded Pig for a reason that doesn’t even make sense. All Pig was asking was who the community felt held the title of champion. Boon is the co-creator of MK and the CEO of NRS. Think about that.

It’s not like it’s the end of the world or anything, but Boon was clearly in the wrong here.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
Him liking it or not isn’t the issue. He essentially publicly scolded Pig for a reason that doesn’t even make sense. All Pig was asking was who the community felt held the title of champion. Boon is the co-creator of MK and the CEO of NRS. Think about that.

It’s not like it’s the end of the world or anything, but Boon was clearly in the wrong here.
I see nothing wrong w my question or the 3k notifications it got and the hype it created

Because of my original tweet a thousand dollar FT13 MM was being planned . Maybe they shouldn’t do it because it might .....u know....stir the pot

MKF30

Did you know the reaction time to respond to a 95MPH fast ball in baseball is equal to reacting to a 15F OH?
Mental coordination yes. You're not wrong. Video games improve your hand eye coordination, however the one big difference is in baseball you're also physically swinging/timing with your hand eye coordination. That's why it's kind of insane to see guys hit 95-100+mph fastballs 480-500 feet. Goalies too stopping pucks requires very fast hand eye coord. It's fun but there's no margin for error.

HellblazerHawkman

Confused Thanagarian
Because it's already a settled question. Dragon won E-League and EVO. He shouldn't have that legitimacy questioned just to manufacture some drama. Natural rivalries are all fun and good, but manufacturing drama just to get people fired up comes off as petty to me.
I'm not questioning Tom Brady's (football) legitimacy when I ask my friends "Hey, who do you think is the better QB: Rodgers or Brady?" It's just fun to compare the best people in a competitive thing. I saw Sonic's reply, he did his sassy thing, he didn't take offence. I don't know Dragon well enough to read into what he said, but he seemed pretty chill with it too. Dude is like 18 and has made more money this year than I've made in my life, I don't think he gives a shit if some randoms on Twitter answer a poll

Yeah, this really seems stupid on Boon’s part.

Like the NRS scene is always gonna be small until it starts getting more hype not just in the games, but with the community as well.

And Boon just shat all over the first chance of this happening in a while...

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
I'm not questioning Tom Brady's (football) legitimacy when I ask my friends "Hey, who do you think is the better QB: Rodgers or Brady?" It's just fun to compare the best people in a competitive thing. I saw Sonic's reply, he did his sassy thing, he didn't take offence. I don't know Dragon well enough to read into what he said, but he seemed pretty chill with it too. Dude is like 18 and has made more money this year than I've made in my life, I don't think he gives a shit if some randoms on Twitter answer a poll
The question of the poll wasn't "who do you think is better" it was "who is the true injustice 2 champion". I have no problem with asking who the better player is. But Dragon is clearly the 2017 Injustice 2 champion. Trying to make that debatable just seems like trolling to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.