What's new

Discovery Negative Edge Option Select

ryublaze

Noob
Similar to this thread, you can make certain 50/50s safe using Negative Edge:
https://testyourmight.com/threads/safe-50-50-option-select-using-negative-edge.61002/

So I saw the poke OS thread and went to see if I could do the same with normals/strings. It turns out that you can do the exact same but to do it with strings you have to have Release Check turned on.

The poke OS posted by @ESP-_BLACK:
https://testyourmight.com/threads/sonya-granade-option-select.60540/

Release Check (Negative Edge) allows you to input 1/2/3/4 before up/down/left/right for a special move. Using this you can get a string to come out on hit and a special to come out on block. You have to input the special move late (similar to the poke OS) so that the game registers the special move only when blocked.

Another rule is that the next button in the string should also share the same button as the special move you're inputting.

For example, with Sub-Zero you can do F4 xx Clone (db2) on block and F42 on hit. You input it as: f42db. Then you can hit-confirm f42 into EX Ice Ball. Notice that I'm inputting 2db for Clone instead of db2.

The string and special don't have to share the same button, but it's much easier to input if they do. Here is an example where the string and special don't use the same button. This is with Unbreakable Sub-Zero doing F4 xx Ice Aura (db3) on block and F42 on hit. You have to input the 1/2/3/4 buttons before the directional inputs and input it fast. This is extremely hard to do. You input it as: f432db.

This option select is especially good with Sun God Kotal Kahn. You can do B1 xx cmd grab (db2) on block and B12 xx cmd grab on hit. You input it as: b12db.

You can also do B14 xx cmd grab (db2) on block and B14 on hit. This one doesn't require Release Check since you aren't doing a string after B14. You input it as: b14db2 or b142db with Release Check on.

Last edited:

Invincible Salads

Seeker of knowledge
i don't like using negative edge, and this seems to convoluted and annoying to do anyways, nthx

also, theres a poke option select too? how does that work?

also i don't get how the b13 works without negative edge with kotal, why wouldnt command grab come out anyways on hit if your still pressing it without release check?

Last edited:

Airvidal

"You play weird" It's called being unorthodox ;)
Nice, I remember Gustav telling me how subzero had to have awesome stuff still to be discovered. This is huge indeed!

Daemantalo

Not Good Enough
Please someone test this with Jason AND Kano. Kano might not be able to benefit from this as much, but Jason should. Anything to make tick-throw inputs easier is much appreciated!

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
A nice find, but earlier there were some issues with the X-Ray being triggered with this, so they suggested me to turn the Release Check OFF.

I can do these combos you found, only if I'm very fast.

ryublaze

Noob
Please someone test this with Jason AND Kano. Kano might not be able to benefit from this as much, but Jason should. Anything to make tick-throw inputs easier is much appreciated!
Damn I wish this worked with Jason's b1 tick throw. Great find raptor!
I tried Jason but negative edge keeps giving me b1 dbf1 instead of dbf2. idk about Kano yet

There's another OS similar to this one that makes 50/50s safe. I'm gonna make a new thread cuz this one's already cluttered.

Last edited:

Baconlord

Proud follower of the church of Cetrion
I tried Jason but negative edge keeps giving me b1 choke instead of cmd grab. idk about Kano yet

There's another OS similar to this one that makes 50/50s safe. I'm gonna make a new thread cuz this one's already cluttered.
please tell me you have an os for b12:)

Daemantalo

Not Good Enough
I tried Jason but negative edge keeps giving me b1 choke instead of cmd grab. idk about Kano yet

Thanks Red! Sorry for the request :O I was just curious.

Invincible Salads

Seeker of knowledge
os for safe 50/50's too? Right back to square 1 again NRS.i hope they fix this in the hopefully upcomming patch. For good this time.