What's new

Need some help buying a PC

Saboteur-6

Filthy Casual
When I build a PC I just go to a German computer nerd forum where they have optimal gaming PC configurations in like 4 price ranges, follow the links to the cheapest sellers and put on a tutorial on how to piece the shit together, because I can't remember how to do it even though I did it like 3 times already.

If it helps this is the thread: https://www.computerbase.de/forum/threads/der-ideale-gaming-pc-spiele-pc-selbst-zusammenstellen.215394/

Should be easy to use with google translate, but I dunno if regional pricing is any different.
This is cool but, why does it have to be German? I like the idea of just giving a price range to get a solid build recommended since I'm really pretty clueless on what I'd want/need.

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
if you have a integrated gpu you can but they are not so great but you could probably play a decent amount of indie games. Is it a pre built, if not you should def assemble the parts to make sure everything works so you can RMA. It could take months to get a decent gpu at a decent price depending on what you are going after.
It's custom build, and no integrated GPU. Still need to learn some assembly stuff but can I even test my parts/build without any GPU or integrated action?

I got a Ryzen 9 5900x CPU, and I'm looking for a 3070/3080 GPU which I don't expect soon.:(

Immortal

Blind justice....
It's custom build, and no integrated GPU. Still need to learn some assembly stuff but can I even test my parts/build without any GPU or integrated action?

I got a Ryzen 9 5900x CPU, and I'm looking for a 3070/3080 GPU which I don't expect soon.:(
No, since the motherboard will detect you have no GPU and will just give you an error on postcode mini display (on motherboard if you have one) or/and the troubleshoot led for VGA will lit (also on motherboard, its also an option; cheaper boards dont even have this).

Last edited:

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
So I haven't owned a desktop PC in a decade and a half but I'm wanting to purchase one this year. I'm not super fluent on desired specs so I could use some feedback, guidance, etc to point me in the right direction. Basically I do plan on gaming/using it for media primarily. Anyway on to some questions:

1. Pre-built or custom PC? This is probably my biggest issue atm because, after reading around today, trying to pick up PC parts right now because of the pandemic is difficult.
  2. What's a reasonable budget? Because right now I'm leaning towards around $1000-$1500.
  3. Recommendations on brands and/or sites to purchase?
Thanks in advance for any and all help.
  1. Custom if you want to aim for the best, pre-built if you want a hobby/gaming PC.
  2. Think how long and how many hours a day you'll use it.
If you'll go home from work and sit down to play, pick something that'll last you a few years with your favourite games.
If you always get the newest game instead of sticking to something for ten odd years, get a prebuilt top of the line gaming PC.
If you work on it and spend a substantial amount of time on it, find a shop that's willing to walk you through your choices.
3. Let the store handle those things. For knowledge, tomshardware is one of many good websites to read up on the most recent technologies if you care for in-depth.

Marinjuana

I finished collecting most of my parts and got my GPU! The bottom line is that GPUs are facing an outrageous shortage and it's definitely more economical to find a prebuilt ATM, where as in normal times those may not be the best bang for you buck. I had to use a secret Discord server for a local Microcenter(people literally camp out 18 hours before opening for cards) and was able to drive down in time for a RTX 3070 right after open when I saw that there was still stock.

Connecting the computer was indeed and arduous task, I used wayyyy too much thermal paste at first and I was completely lost when I got to the cables and the motherboard. In hindsight, I should have gotten a bigger motherboard as I don't have access to extra cards/adapters due to the size of my GPU. I went out and bought a Wifi adapter without checking if that shit could even fit! But alas, all of the important parts seem to all be working fine, I do need to get a splitter so I can get power to an extra case fan and I hope I can get some good control over the RGB components of the build.

But I guess that's much ado about nothing because I'm having issues installing Windows, I can get to the bios screen when I hit delete key but when I have the thumb drive with the bootable ISO file in it doesn't respond by giving me a Windows screen. I just get this blank terminal screen. Bios detects all of my parts and I assume the GPU is working as I have video feed. I'm using my Mac's Bootcamp to make the drive which may be the issue, I'm gonna try to use Windows 10 at work tomorrow and see if that fixes it but any suggestions are much appreciated. Almost there I think but I crave the satisfaction of knowing that I actually got this running

Any recommendations on a good USB wireless adapter? Can I get that in bluetooth?

BanTheTesters

“My AGENT is tougher than you...”
I finished collecting most of my parts and got my GPU! The bottom line is that GPUs are facing an outrageous shortage and it's definitely more economical to find a prebuilt ATM, where as in normal times those may not be the best bang for you buck. I had to use a secret Discord server for a local Microcenter(people literally camp out 18 hours before opening for cards) and was able to drive down in time for a RTX 3070 right after open when I saw that there was still stock.

Connecting the computer was indeed and arduous task, I used wayyyy too much thermal paste at first and I was completely lost when I got to the cables and the motherboard. In hindsight, I should have gotten a bigger motherboard as I don't have access to extra cards/adapters due to the size of my GPU. I went out and bought a Wifi adapter without checking if that shit could even fit! But alas, all of the important parts seem to all be working fine, I do need to get a splitter so I can get power to an extra case fan and I hope I can get some good control over the RGB components of the build.

But I guess that's much ado about nothing because I'm having issues installing Windows, I can get to the bios screen when I hit delete key but when I have the thumb drive with the bootable ISO file in it doesn't respond by giving me a Windows screen. I just get this blank terminal screen. Bios detects all of my parts and I assume the GPU is working as I have video feed. I'm using my Mac's Bootcamp to make the drive which may be the issue, I'm gonna try to use Windows 10 at work tomorrow and see if that fixes it but any suggestions are much appreciated. Almost there I think but I crave the satisfaction of knowing that I actually got this running

Any recommendations on a good USB wireless adapter? Can I get that in bluetooth?
Hmm did you by any chance watch any videos before starting the build process?

I was just asking because they have some great tutorials via YouTube.

they also have vids on how to install windows etc and how to do parts research etc.

also did you make that usb with the “windows 10 creation tool”? Because if I’m not mistaken you should be able to make that whole usb drive a creation tool. Then you have to go into your bio and set the computer to boot from that usb drive

that iso I’ve heard was for installing windows with a disc etc...

would definitely recommend checking out YouTube for some of this etc

Marinjuana

Hmm did you by any chance watch any videos before starting the build process?

I was just asking because they have some great tutorials via YouTube.

they also have vids on how to install windows etc and how to do parts research etc.

also did you make that usb with the “windows 10 creation tool”? Because if I’m not mistaken you should be able to make that whole usb drive a creation tool. Then you have to go into your bio and set the computer to boot from that usb drive

that iso I’ve heard was for installing windows with a disc etc...

would definitely recommend checking out YouTube for some of this etc
Appreciate it champ! Yeah so I ended up using the creation tool with a work PC and am typing from the new setup right now! Feels awesome, I got to rewire my case fans in a daisy chain pattern and get some drivers but I'm up and running!