What's new

Need Kitana 101 for wife.

ZeroSymbolic

W.A.S.P.
I don't play Kitana, but I finally got my wife interested in fighting games by watching combo breaker with me. Would someone be so kind as to give me a basic game plan and maybe some simplified BnB's she can use to have a nice entry level Kitana. Much much appreciated.

Last edited:

ArryKae

Noob
Kitana thrives in the neutral game. Spacing and whiff punishing are very important since her combo starters are slower than alot of the cast (13f & 17f). She has an amazing J2 that can lead into a full combo. She doesn't do as much damage as the high tiers either. You'll want to stay about the same distance as the start of the match, maybe a bit further. Try to bait out an whiff, punish them and try to keep the pressure. She is safe on most strings, but not plus on block. If you get blocked, go on the defense until its your turn again.

Combo starters -
B231 is a dial in combo, you must punch in all 3 buttons, or only the B2 will come out. The first hit is a 17f mid with great range and safe on block. You'll want to wait until the second hit before cancelling into the extender. This is also the easiest way to the DF2 crushing blow, her big damage combo ender, since it has 4 hits. You have 4 main options on block with this string. Go on defense (block), finish the string (B231343) to try to catch them pushing buttons, finish the string (B231D2) with an overhead KB (this is useful if they're crouch blocking, but has a gap) or throw if they're blocking alot (very risky, but doable on a read).

B14 is a 13f mid with decent range, and has 3 hits. This also leads to the KB, but it's very difficult for a beginner. It is barely safe on block at -7. You can finish the string (B142) to make is safe and will lead to a KB. The requirement is punish or kounter, so a whiff punish in neutral or catching them pushing a button after B14.

Combo enders -
BF3 is what you'll use if you don't want to switch sides. Amplify for max damage (outside of KB).

DF2 is what you'll use if you want to switch sides. It does more damage than the basic version of BF3. This is where you get your big damage KB, it must be a combo of 8 or more.

Combo extender -
DB2 is basically her only combo extender, unless you're doing advanced combos on the corner, in which you'll still have to use it.

J2 is needed after DB2 for any kind of decent damage really. After J2, you'll need an advancing attack to link the ender. You can use F2, B1, B12, etc. I always found F2 to be easiest.

Combos -
Using the strings I just mentioned, piece together a combo. It's very important to get the timing down, don't just mash as fast as possible. Your wife picked a tough character to start with, but she's awesome and I love her (Kitana, not your wife). If you want to see the best Kitana in the world, bar none, look up Semiij to get a better grasp on playing her.

Starter, Extender x3, Ender

B14xDB2, J2, F2xBF3
B231xDB2, J2, F2xDF2*KB (this is the easiest way to KB imo)

I hope this helped!

Rozalin1780

Good? Bad? I'm the one with the fans
Just a few things to add to ArryKae's post:

- B2 by itself is 0 on block. After conditioning your opponent to block B231, as well as its followups, B2~throw will start opening people up because they respect the low.

- B131 is great for creating space when the opponent does something negative enough for you to throw out B1 safely. It is -1 on block, and will generate enough pushback to push most characters out of range of their high attacks yet still be in range for your B2. There is a gap between the second and third hit of this string however so don't depend on it too much. B13 is -5 on block, but the better option if you suspect a flawless block and still generates decent knockback yet still in range of D4.

- When comboing off of lift, if she is having difficulty landing enders after jump 2, try jump 1 instead. It has faster start-up, bigger hitbox, more active frames, and causes less pushback when it hits. It does do less damage however, but since she's just starting out, better to land a full combo for less damage than to drop an optimal one halfway through.

- Kitana can score big damage from a D2 krushing blow -- especially if her quick execution krushing blow is also available. D2, B14~lift (db2), jump in 2, F2~quick execution (df2). Does 46%.

Last edited:
- When comboing off of lift, if she is having difficulty landing enders after jump 2, try jump 1 instead. It has faster start-up, bigger hitbox, more active frames, and causes less pushback when it hits. It does do less damage however, but since she's just starting out, better to land a full combo for less damage than to drop an optimal one halfway through.
This is actually what I do, as I have trouble with the jumping back punches. Do you know what the damage difference is between the successful j2's and j1's?

@Darth-Nero What's a "waifu?"

Darth-Nero

Come Thunder! Come Lightning!
As in jokingly considers a significant other, or actually considers a significant other?
In radical otaku culture it's not a joking matter, there are recorded occasions where men married their waifus in a live ceremony because it's not against the law to marry a fictional character or even marry yourself. Most normal ppl on the internet use the term to express admiring a character or being a big fan, nothing more.

In radical otaku culture it's not a joking matter, there are recorded occasions where men married their waifus in a live ceremony because it's not against the law to marry a fictional character or even marry yourself. Most normal ppl on the internet use the term to express admiring a character or being a big fan, nothing more.
Huh, wow. I guess whatever floats one's boat.

iamtheLoBo

Likes throwing fans
My wife plays fighting games too. She plays with a group of other girls that help each other level up. If she wants games, feel free to reach out!
Also, I'm a Kitana main if you have any questions that weren't already answered in this thread. Already plenty of solid advice here.

Rozalin1780

Good? Bad? I'm the one with the fans
This is actually what I do, as I have trouble with the jumping back punches. Do you know what the damage difference is between the successful j2's and j1's?
Here's the numbers from several examples following the B231 string. Basically, you're looking at a 1-2% difference.

B231~lift, jump 1/2, f2222 = 1: 238 2: 250

B231~lift, jump 1/2, jump 1/2, 12~ amp square wave = 1: 248 2: 270

B231~lift, jump 1/2, dash, b14~amp square wave = 1: 254 2: 266

B231~lift, jump 1/2, dash, 32~ amp square wave = 1: 253 2: 265

B231~lift, jump 1/2, jump 1/2, 12~quick execution (KB) = 1: 315 2: 337

B231~lift, jump 1/2, dash, b14~quick execution (KB) = 1: 333 2: 345

B231~lift, jump 1/2, dash, 32~quick execution (KB) = 1: 336 2: 348

D2 (KB), b14~lift, jump 1/2, f2~quick execution (KB) = 1: 448 2: 459

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
Her gamrplan isn't really combos. Its Footsie so if your Wife has good spacing and can be aware of her reach and footing then Kitana is her main. If your wife is less execution heavy I suggest Scarlet or Cetrion which are both zoners but require character and matchup knowledge but require less execution.

Kitana:
Has staggers and #OfHit mix so you will mainly be making the opponent guess between B2 and the full dial string with the last enders to those strings. If the opponent wants to take their turn or punish kitana they have to make a guess when you will end your string. B2 is 0 on Block so its an amazing footsie tool and stagger. Throws are very powerful so use them with staggers to condition them to let off blk.
Show her how to wiff punish other players, kitanas best range is just outside of starting position. She limits opponents options at that range.

Her flutter and booty mix:
She is one of the few characters that can hop in the air mostly unpunished because she has booty and flutter. Flutter creates a delay mix and booty(Mid) catches them trying to anti air you before you flutter

Hope this helps

ZeroSymbolic

W.A.S.P.
Here's the numbers from several examples following the B231 string. Basically, you're looking at a 1-2% difference.

B231~lift, jump 1/2, f2222 = 1: 238 2: 250

B231~lift, jump 1/2, jump 1/2, 12~ amp square wave = 1: 248 2: 270

B231~lift, jump 1/2, dash, b14~amp square wave = 1: 254 2: 266

B231~lift, jump 1/2, dash, 32~ amp square wave = 1: 253 2: 265

B231~lift, jump 1/2, jump 1/2, 12~quick execution (KB) = 1: 315 2: 337

B231~lift, jump 1/2, dash, b14~quick execution (KB) = 1: 333 2: 345

B231~lift, jump 1/2, dash, 32~quick execution (KB) = 1: 336 2: 348

D2 (KB), b14~lift, jump 1/2, f2~quick execution (KB) = 1: 448 2: 459
Can I please see a vid of the double jump 1/2? I can't hit that for the life of me. I subbed in a single j3 which is close but not optimal.

kevkopdx

Noob
Can I please see a vid of the double jump 1/2? I can't hit that for the life of me. I subbed in a single j3 which is close but not optimal.
You have to hit the first jump 2 late as you’re coming down and the second jump 2 needs to be done instantly after landing, you’ll get it(jump 1 is a little more lenient)