What's new

Need Help with On-line Ranked Sets

Pangolin-man

My trusty sidekick is not amused!
OK. So, I have mained Green Lantern since the first day of Injustice 1. I am a casual player who occasionally watches a tournament and plays about 3 times a week. In Injustice 1, I won about 60% of my on-line matches. In Injustice 2, it was about 50% in ranked matches.

Then, all of a sudden, once the ranked sets started, I am being demolished. I am only winning about 33% of the time. It isn't that I win the first match and my opponent adapts. I am getting bodied big time and getting swept a lot. I don't understand what is going on. I never had this much trouble before. What happened between the ranked matches and ranked sets that I am not aware of or am missing?

I have noticed that most of the people I am playing are exploiting high tier characters. I played 10 ranked sets tonight, and in literally 9 out of the 10 matches, my opponent was either Batman or Supergirl. I know GL is mid-tier and most of my other characters, like Cheetah and Swamp Thing, are either mid or low tier. I want to play the characters I enjoy and not be a tier exploiter like apparently most people on-line.

I can't do a thing about Batman or Supergirl with Lantern. Batman's Jump 2 is absolutely ridiculous. And I am completely sick of Supergirl's teleport. It is the same cheap move that Scorpion had in Injustice 1. I would love to know why they put a behind teleport in a game where you have to hold back to block again after all of the garbage with Scorpion. I can't do anything with Lantern for either of these characters. I can't get Batman off of me, even with pushblock. And, I have trouble blocking Supergirl's teleport because I have to keep holding back because of her lasers. Lantern is too slow to do anything with either of these characters.

Anyway, it looks like a might need to be a tier clown as well. Which high-tier character should I pick up to counter the neverending Batman and Supergirl players?

Like I said, I just play for fun and come here to learn some combos. I don't really care if I lose as long as I have a fighting chance. But, all of these tier junkies are making this not a lot of fun. Any tips or advice for Green Lantern or a new character to pick would be greatly appreciated.

EMPRESS_SunFire

Regina George of discord
Well, sets give you more time to adapt, so people who used to get away with some stuff (not saying that you did, btw) in single matches now tend to lose sets because their oponent has time to adapt and not fall for "gimmicks" or stuff that caught you by surprise that much.

People also have more time to make a comeback.

So, I'm not sure what your problem is... The only difference is that! That people actually have time to adapt, other than that it's not different.

Also Supergirl's teleport is nowhere near as bad as Scorpion's in IGAU, it's waaaay slower, it makes a huge sound before happening and it's very - on block. So just practice reacting to it and get used... Trust me, we all got hit by that a lot a few months ago because she has so much stuff that you have to care about from the front that it will catch you off guard. I mean, even now people do get hit by it once in a long while, but it happens. Just get used to it!

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
Well..

So. Dont take this too shittily cause I dont mean it in a rude way.. But I think an attitude adjustment is def required first and foremost. These games are more in the mind than anywhere else and it sounds like you have just decided you cant beat SG or Batman. Calling people 'tier exploiters' and such is a little a silly.. That's just not how this works. If there was some triple S maniac of a character that was so far and away stronger than everyone else, sure, I get it, but the balance in this game is pretty good. You are absolutely right that GL is lower on the tier list than Batman or SG, but people tend to forget that that just doesn't matter all that much outside the higher echelons of play. For 90% or more of the player base, or more, losses arent based on tier placements.

I'm saying that because like I said, you areent saying "what are my options" or "how do I counter this or that" you're saying "GL cant win I have to 'cheat' and pick a high tier character now too who should it be"..

I'll bet if you and I play each other, and I pick GL's absolute WORST MU, dunno who that is granted, but I pick his WORST MU, you will still body my ass because you're almost certainly a better player than I am.

I hate to be like "that guy" but it sounds like you just need to level up. Deep breath, let the salt flow out of you and check the GL forums for strategies in the MUs.

SG in particular, you CAN react to her teleport. One trick is to turn the sound up when you play her. There's a pretty noticeable noise as the tele starts up and while tele is a strong tool a lot of the time, if you block it its absolute death to her. Also, are you playing on a TV with high display lag? Its worth looking in to cause it ABSOLUTELY makes a difference if its bad enough. Some 50in plasma thats 7 years old is terrible for FGs.

As to suddenly losing.. Ranked mentality has changed IMO. When it was one and done, people were way more rewarded just going ham out of the gate. Throw all your mixups and tricks and bullshit straight out. Just DO stuff cause they aren't gonna have much time to get solid reads on you or learn patterns.. Now I think a lot of people play a little more cautiously and dont feel as pressured to just DO shit. Maybe that has something to do with it? People playing a little less snakeshit crazy gives you fewer openings? Or maybe you're flowcharting more than you realize and people are just getting a read on you? I know you say you're just being straight up swept, where-as you weren't before, but again, the more patient playstyle promoted by the ranked sets means people are actually TRYING to read the other player instead of just screaming FFUCCCCCCCCKKKKKK YYYYYOOOOOOOUUUUUUURRRRRRRRRR FFFFFFFRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAMMMMESSSSSSSSSSSSS and charging in.

Just my observations from you post. Again, Im not saying anything to be pissy, Im just giving a disjointed analysis.

Additionally, if you have vids of your gameplay people could perhaps help you out more by making direct suggestions.

I don't play GL, but I can give you tips on fighting those characters.

Mid combo if batman does a j2, I am looking for a second cross up j2, and ready to block it.
The bat trait also has VERY little block stun. Don't push block it as you will fail (push block the before hand strings to get rid of bats). Also, unless they are super on point with their timing, you might even be able to d2 after the trait bats, but before his follow up hit.

Supergirls teleport is react-able to. But if you just hold down to block against her (which I think you should) you only need to react to the MB teleport (loud sound queue) or her over head string.... Her over head string is hard to react to (much hardert) but the kick before her over head gives it away. When you block teleport just do something like 111 dbMB ji 3 111..... or something along those lines. Like I said I don't know GL or his inputs, but that should be a nice 400ish dmg to make her think twice about doing another teleport. I do this vs sub zero slide spam as well.

I also think learning a reset or 2 will make you INSANELY good online. Theres a lot of scrubs who do just say "FFUCCCCCCCCKKKKKK YYYYYOOOOOOOUUUUUUURRRRRRRRRR FFFFFFFRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAMMMMESSSSSSSSSSSSS and charge in." or they just mash buttons

knowing how to loop a reset over and over into itself will weed out dem scrubs :p just make sure its something you can do consistently. Yeah, there are 40% dmg resets out there.... but if you drop the combo half the time its not really a reset, is it? Even just settling for 200 dmg combo into a hard-to-get-out-of-reset will be a fun tool to have in your arsenal.

Orochi

Scorpion Scrub
GL does fine in those MUs I suggest having long sets with people that play them, just ask some of the players you play.

Change your mentality to "you're going to learn the MU and it's okay to lose" On the supergirl MU don't try to zone her except for very few projectiles, expect the teleport, learn the queues on what she does when she teleports, learn the best punishes, I guarantee your winrate will increase. The MU is very footsie based.

Vs. Batman, learn set ups on knockdown and how to punish his wake ups. Learn his strings to block appropriately and how to expect a jump. GL's D2 is actually really good against his jump even on trade you can continue the combo.

Other than that you don't play much and just for fun, don't expect to beat players that play the game hours everyday.

GL has enough tools to deal with Supergirl, it's up to you on whether or not you have enough patience to deal with her. Most SG's I play are super hoppy, keep them grounded with your air battery blast. Keep an eye on her trait meter, you can pretty much guaranty a teleports coming when they run out of trait meter. If you've been playing GL since IGAU than you know his B1 is his best footsie tool. SG has some pretty solid footsies of her own but again patience is the key. This should help you take down the numerous scrubby SG's but at the end of the day a good player is a good player

Batman is Dumb there's entire thread about it. Most high level players will say it's 5-5 but us casuals tend to get frustrated and impatient too early. He's a shit show to play against no doubt but it should be that way he's fucking Batman!! I get a little push block crazy when I fight BM and then end up with no meter when it's my turn. I've been trying to be more patient and push block when needed. Find a good BM on TYM and run sets. Which reminds me @ReD WolF wanna beat me up sometime this week?

Rizz091

Noob
Watch your replays, take notes, come up with training room action items. And work them. I'm not talking combo and set up practice. Match up practice. Recreate scenarios from your replays that ended badly for you and see what your options are, then practice them so you're ready next time.

You have trouble with SG and Batman? Time to lab the match up. Only blame yourself for your losses, and only take your losses as a learning experience. Don't be so focused on winning, but improving, the wins will then come naturally. And most importantly, have fun and enjoy the process of levelling up.

Pangolin-man

My trusty sidekick is not amused!
Thanks for everyone's advice. I did not want to come off salty or anything. I just could not figure out what to do against those two characters.

I will be the first to admit that I am not very good at the game since I am a casual. I keep trying but I am mostly just baffled as to how the play mentality could be so different from ranked matches to ranked sets.

I just want to have fun and play the characters I like playing. Like I said, I don't mind losing as long as I have a fighting chance. But, I was getting severely bodied by a lot of people all of a sudden and I am still not completely sure why.

As for Batman, what is Lantern's best option? The best success I have had so far is to keep zoning and backing up and hope the other player makes a mistake. Batman is definitely the character that gives me the most problems.

As for Supergirl, I was aware about the sound of the teleport but still have trouble catching it sometimes. I am always so worried about the lasers that I often am too late to reverse block to stop it. Should I do more of a rushdown with her like 223 and wall or boulder? And then J3 her for cross-ups?

I also realize that I might just have to play a different character sometimes. I have picked up Starfire recently and I have a much easier time against Supergirl with Starfire then Lantern.

I came to this realization after MKX. My favorite character is Reptile and tried to get good with him but failed miserably. I picked up Ermac and had much better results. Might just have to do the same with Lantern in some cases.

Last question. I know people have brought this up before, but who misses Lantern's moveset from Injustice 1? I wish they would just bring back Oa's Rocket and the MInigun for his moveset. I think those moves made him a much more formidable character.

Anyway, thanks for the advice. Hope I didn't seem to bitter. I will just keep grinding and try to figure out what I doing correctly and what I am not. But, if someone creates a petition to NRS to bring back his old moveset, I will be the first to sign it.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
OK. So, I have mained Green Lantern since the first day of Injustice 1. I am a casual player who occasionally watches a tournament and plays about 3 times a week. In Injustice 1, I won about 60% of my on-line matches. In Injustice 2, it was about 50% in ranked matches.

Then, all of a sudden, once the ranked sets started, I am being demolished. I am only winning about 33% of the time. It isn't that I win the first match and my opponent adapts. I am getting bodied big time and getting swept a lot. I don't understand what is going on. I never had this much trouble before. What happened between the ranked matches and ranked sets that I am not aware of or am missing?
This is because, since Injustice: Gods Among Us (a few weeks into MKX to be specific), NRS has changed their online matchmaking. Now, instead of matching you up against a random player, it will try match you up against players it believes to be around your same skill level. This means you will need to be significantly better at the game now to maintain your win rate.

Instead of feasting on noobs, you will now have to learn to be on par with people who at least generally know how to play the game. Which means you are going to have to improve your own fundamentals, matchup knowledge, and character knowledge in order to win.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
I also realize that I might just have to play a different character sometimes. I have picked up Starfire recently and I have a much easier time against Supergirl with Starfire then Lantern.
Lantern will be fine if you're willing to put the time in. If you post a video of your gameplay here, you could probably garner a lot of advice that will help you in the MU. And watching better Lantern players play will give you lots of info on how best to play him to win.

Thanks for everyone's advice. I did not want to come off salty or anything. I just could not figure out what to do against those two characters.

I will be the first to admit that I am not very good at the game since I am a casual. I keep trying but I am mostly just baffled as to how the play mentality could be so different from ranked matches to ranked sets.

I just want to have fun and play the characters I like playing. Like I said, I don't mind losing as long as I have a fighting chance. But, I was getting severely bodied by a lot of people all of a sudden and I am still not completely sure why.

As for Batman, what is Lantern's best option? The best success I have had so far is to keep zoning and backing up and hope the other player makes a mistake. Batman is definitely the character that gives me the most problems.

As for Supergirl, I was aware about the sound of the teleport but still have trouble catching it sometimes. I am always so worried about the lasers that I often am too late to reverse block to stop it. Should I do more of a rushdown with her like 223 and wall or boulder? And then J3 her for cross-ups?

I came to this realization after MKX. My favorite character is Reptile and tried to get good with him but failed miserably. I picked up Ermac and had much better results. Might just have to do the same with Lantern in some cases.

Last question. I know people have brought this up before, but who misses Lantern's moveset from Injustice 1? I wish they would just bring back Oa's Rocket and the MInigun for his moveset. I think those moves made him a much more formidable character.

Anyway, thanks for the advice. Hope I didn't seem to bitter. I will just keep grinding and try to figure out what I doing correctly and what I am not. But, if someone creates a petition to NRS to bring back his old moveset, I will be the first to sign it.
Hold down to block. It answeres teleport and lasers. It only fails to mb teleport. And it should be faster to go from dwn to side, than from left to right.