What's new

Need Help Using a Stick in MK (not a stick novice)

Jay Rupp

Human Smoke or Riot
I use a stick in every fighter except MK. I'm finally taking the leap in MK11 and I could use some help.

1. How do you handle the block button's placement?
  2. Is enabling alternate control (under MKX controller options) a good idea?
Thanks in advance!

Jay Rupp

Human Smoke or Riot
Stay with pad
I probably would but I play 2 fighters (3 including MK11.) Lugging around a stick and a controller would get annoying fast and I'm definitely not using a pad for SFV or T7.

Last edited:
Reactions: jmt
During the beta my set up on stick was some thing like this. 8 buttons on stick.

1 2 (Blk) (Thrw)
3 4 (IA) (SS)

First finger on 3, Middle on 1, Ring on 2 and pinky on Blk. I would use ring or pinky to hit 4.

I dealy I would like to make a custom stick that is essentially a hit box but with a joystick instead of the 3 movement buttons, and use the big jump button towards the middle to put my thum on for block, allowing me to keep all four fingers on the attack buttons.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
1 2 3 ?
B 4 ? ?

I use this as my base layout.. but depending on the specific MK I change the ? marks. Like in MKx you had to add a run button and in MK11 you need easy acess to Amplify and Fatal Blow.

I like this setup as it places the block on a easy and super fast thumb whack, so you can have super fast reactions. Also for duel pressing it is on the forefinger.. making it also easy to press that way. In addition it kinda makes it easier to swap between 6 button layouts which I play a lot as well. Depeding on the charocteer I sometimes swap 3 and 4, just depends on how their moves work.

Baconlord

Proud follower of the church of Cetrion
Alt controls are stupid don't bother with them. I pretty much have the default layout

34block
Once you get used to command shortcuts playing on stick is pretty manageable

Jay Rupp

Human Smoke or Riot
During the beta my set up on stick was some thing like this. 8 buttons on stick.

1 2 (Blk) (Thrw)
3 4 (IA) (SS)

First finger on 3, Middle on 1, Ring on 2 and pinky on Blk. I would use ring or pinky to hit 4.

I dealy I would like to make a custom stick that is essentially a hit box but with a joystick instead of the 3 movement buttons, and use the big jump button towards the middle to put my thum on for block, allowing me to keep all four fingers on the attack buttons.
This is exactly what I'm using right now, but I don't use the same hand placement. Thanks for the reply, mate!

Jay Rupp

Human Smoke or Riot
Alt controls are stupid don't bother with them. I pretty much have the default layout

34block
Like 1+3 for throws and shit? I try to avoid shortcuts at all costs anyways (for all fighters.) Thanks, mate!

Last edited:

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
I do

1 2 BLK FS
3 4 STG THR

I mainly use the 1+3 shortcut for throws. It's crucial to have a quick way to BLK+FS (as opposed to 3+4+BLK) for the Xray/FB

Jay Rupp

Human Smoke or Riot
Currently using:
LP - RP - BL
LK - RK - IA

I was thinking about using:
IA - LP - RP
BL - LK - RK

or

LP - RP - IA
BL - LK - RK

I really like the Soul Calibur method of putting block on 3. EX moves feel really natural that way.

Last edited:

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
I was thinking about using either:

FS - LP - RP - TH
BL - LK - RK - IA

or

LP - RP - FS - TH
BL - LK - RK - IA

I really like the Soul Calibur method of putting block on 3. EX moves feel really natural that way.
EX Moves uses the stage button now, not block.

DragonofDadashov24

Let’s see whose fire burns hotter
MK is easy to play on a pad unlike SF or Tekken where you have commands like forward down down forward forward 2 for just one move. Or that bullshit around the clock imput you have to do twice

Jynks

As a guy nearing 6f7" I have yet to ever find a pad that is not teeny tiny in my hand. A hour of holding a pad turns my hand into a gnarled claw and gives me hella cramp. Someone need to make a man sized gamepad!! lol

ChatterBox

Searching for an alt.
I use the same setup for nrs games as a way old school inline arcade cabs that weren't mk
1 2 3 4
BLK Int Thr SS
So you can just rest your fingers on 1234 and thumb on block. Then just move any finger down for interactable, throw, or do think and pinkie for fatal blow. It worked well for me in the beta and I don't use any shortcuts.

I would also suggest against alternate controls, the command grabs and half the projectiles are bad. They make them half circles or more, without making the input buffer look for them very well. Not worth the headache, the new input window is a huge help for bit being unwanted specials, put it on short and you're all set.

Evil Canadian

G O K U
Premium Supporter
I have never in my life found a stick layout I like for MK other than the old star shape one, never for japanese style sticks.

Stick with pad and you will be happy, else be confused as you can see nobody has a layout that anyone can agree on.

I play every game on stick but NRS games, pad is just better for them.

Jynks

I also sometimes you 1,2,3,4 layout as well, it has the same advantages as the the other one I said.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
default config works pretty well for me. the rest are easily acessible button shortcuts or not.

never enable alternate controls those are trash

jmt

Noob
I probably would but I play 2 fighters (3 including MK11.) Lugging around a stick and a controller would get annoying fast and I'm definitely not using a pad for SFV or T7.
I’ve been there and I totally agree. I play stick too for all other games except mk. For mk though pad actually works better for me.

Obly

Ambiguous world creator

34block
I would like to try this layout (I know it's popular), but I can't figure out how to place my fingers and which to use for each button. Specifically, this forces me to use my least agile fingers (ring or pinkie) to activate Block, and that's not sustainable for very long.

Can I ask how you make this layout work?

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
This is the layout I've used for mk

1 IA 2
3 BL 4

I put IA in the middle now due to it being required to enhance moves. Wish they would have just stuck to the unique inputs idea.

Also I would set input timing to at least medium. Turn off release check and easy inputs.

This game does seem suited for pad but a stick just feels more natural to me.

Jay Rupp

Human Smoke or Riot
This is the layout I've used for mk

1 IA 2
3 BL 4

I put IA in the middle now due to it being required to enhance moves. Wish they would have just stuck to the unique inputs idea.

Also I would set input timing to at least medium. Turn off release check and easy inputs.

This game does seem suited for pad but a stick just feels more natural to me.
An arcade player, eh? Props.