What's new

Question - Johnny Cage Need help Anti-Airing jumpins

Epy69zSmallBoys

No respect for Kung Jin
I main Johnny Cage and his uppercut is lacking and I can't for the life of me figure out how to get a consistent AA. This is especially hard for me with a Jump Punch 2 Kung Jin or a Jump Punch Ferra/Torr.

I made a thread just like this a couple days ago lol. D1 & D2 are not as reliable of an anti-crossover as they were in MK9 so you can either backdash, run or use an armored special move.

Audit

Falls down too much
I play Lackey F/T and you should just put the jp1 in the same category as Kung Jin's njp and look for your opening elsewhere. You aren't going to beat it relaibly, or the vicious/ruthless variation's njp.

I wish I had a better answer :(

mrKrucifix

Just call me Kruce
The most reliable anti air I've found is EX Flip Kick. I'm sure Stunt Double's EX Uppercut would work just as well.

The problem being they both cost meter. But if it means winning or losing, I'm going with the most reliable anti air I've got.

Would love a reliable Meterless option too. I always seem to get caught in something when I try to back dash.

Audit

Falls down too much
The most reliable anti air I've found is EX Flip Kick. I'm sure Stunt Double's EX Uppercut would work just as well.

The problem being they both cost meter. But if it means winning or losing, I'm going with the most reliable anti air I've got.

Would love a reliable Meterless option too. I always seem to get caught in something when I try to back dash.
I'm playing Johnny as a secondary, and am not the definitive source, but EX Uppercut either trades or loses to most AA attempts because it has no armor. And because of the lackluster damage from mimics, it's usually a losing trade.

From what I remember about Johnny his D2 has pretty good start up meaning its pretty good for reacting to jump ins. I remember running into a similar problem with his uppercut and I found out that while it starts up fast, it has a pretty shit horizontal hit box. Meaning its best used when the opponent jumps in from a closer range. Might even be useful against cross up jumps, don't quote me on that though have not tested it.

I would save the D2 for jump ins from a closer range, I would not try to even challenge something like a kung jin JI2 since it hits so far in front.
Just be mindful of the range in which you play the neutral game I mean as johnny you wanna be in close anyways. And if they're keeping you at that annoying range were you can't D2 them and they jump at you, you can always back dash, block, ex move, or if you're feeling bold walk forward and D2.

Also don't forget about the anti air projectile its actually not a bad anti air from farther distances and you can always just throw it out to discourage the jumpers.

PS Johnny has probably the best D4 in the game for low profiling jump ins I don't play him as much as I used to so I cannot say with certainty how good it is but I play Jax and met a Johnny player who was eating my jump ins alive with that D4, Jax's jump ins don't have the best hit boxes but still its definitely an option to keep in mind.

Also F4 use it better range than D2 but slower start up, but it leads to a combo so yea. Just get used to the ranges that your opponent likes to jump and use the appropriate anti air.

Last edited:

stamatis

Όσα δε φτάνει η αλεπού. ........
ok,here we go for crossups andAA are not like mk9,you know,d1 and others,the best is ex nut punch,i know it is a waste of meter but it works,now it seems to be some different situations according to the opponent,for example you can d2 kenshi's cross up but not sub's or scorpion's for sure,Now jump in punch,F4 is good,so it is d2,but the best is the high forceball AS THE GUY SAID ABOVE!

Epy69zSmallBoys

No respect for Kung Jin
ok,here we go for crossups andAA are not like mk9,you know,d1 and others,the best is ex nut punch,i know it is a waste of meter but it works,now it seems to be some different situations according to the opponent,for example you can d2 kenshi's cross up but not sub's or scorpion's for sure,Now jump in punch,F4 is good,so it is d2,but the best is the high forceball AS THE GUY SAID ABOVE!
I appreciate your reply, but I man stuntdouble and his force ball is strait and duckable.

Bryck Walle

Counting the Days for the JCVD Johnny Costume!
In A-List or Fisticuffs Flip kick is really good. Ex Flip kick if you're feeling frisky. My go to is easily the EX NP as you can 11 rc 11 f3 np for 25% and standing reset. EX NP also works well against cross ups if you can time it right ofc. Stunt double only, but without mimics EX Shadow Uppercut is great as it's a hard knock down and does some hefty damage. Also if they somehow block it they have to block it twice as it hits overhead on the way down.