What's new

Match-up Discussion Need Advice for fighting cyrax with sub

Status
Not open for further replies.

Khaos Effekt

" For His Dead Brother"
I fight alot of good cyrax players for instance Mr Gruntypants and he beats me most of the time, how do u pressure cryax with sub?

AK Toxic

Graphic Designer
Making sure you're putting on the pressure instead of dealing with bomb/net traps
basically all the mixups listed above^
I really like 21, 21, throw

charlieonline

Search "CaseyJones" for active profile.
Most of the time when I dash block in I find myself doing a dash block into jip from a cyrax and then the punch hits for some reason and I get nailed.

What do you do when you wanna dash block in and counter a jip from your opponent? Is there a certain distance where you want to stop the dash block?

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
dash blocking is not the way to go. You need to stay within JiP distance most of the match. Once you get in that range... if you jumps... you can WALK back and 2 to AA him or clone. Dash blocking is fine to get to that point... but you need to learn to control space by moving back and forth. If you can control that distance, they you can JiP on reaction to the bomb/net animation, with no fear at getting caught in any setup or trap. I use b1,2,1 a lot in this matchup, most Cyrax will try to do their air throw out of the animation and get caught in 2,2.

The problem is that playing online... his teleport can sometimes be safe and that is frustrating. As is dash blocking into a net even though you were holding block. I love those. Bryan destroyed me because I dash blocked and got caught some how, 70% gone, to start the match.

charlieonline

Search "CaseyJones" for active profile.
dash blocking is not the way to go. You need to stay within JiP distance most of the match. Once you get in that range... if you jumps... you can WALK back and 2 to AA him or clone. Dash blocking is fine to get to that point... but you need to learn to control space by moving back and forth. If you can control that distance, they you can JiP on reaction to the bomb/net animation, with no fear at getting caught in any setup or trap. I use b1,2,1 a lot in this matchup, most Cyrax will try to do their air throw out of the animation and get caught in 2,2.

The problem is that playing online... his teleport can sometimes be safe and that is frustrating. As is dash blocking into a net even though you were holding block. I love those. Bryan destroyed me because I dash blocked and got caught some how, 70% gone, to start the match.
1. Do you maintain the far end of the jip distance where you are the most distant you need to be for a jip to land or can you be a bit closer? (like the start of a match).

2. So at jip distance you don't dash back 2 you just "step back" ?? Why this instead of a back dash?

AK Toxic

Graphic Designer
That's what I'm trying to say, because usually the majority of the match you'll be at a distance and a Cyrax player will wait to catch you in a net then punish. Once you're in jip range then you can jip into whatever when they throw out a net. Although, don't jump unless he's thrown something out, if you jump at the wrong time then he can just back up and net. Dash block to get to jip range then try and pressure or clone.

EDIT: Playing Cyrax online is no bueno. A Cyrax with a safe net.. no thank you.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
1. Do you maintain the far end of the jip distance where you are the most distant you need to be for a jip to land or can you be a bit closer? (like the start of a match).

2. So at jip distance you don't dash back 2 you just "step back" ?? Why this instead of a back dash?
I would say that start of the match distance is perfecto. That way you can also d4 him. THAT is the perfect range to be in.

If you dash back you run the risk of not getting the 2~ice or clone at the right time. Walking back will put you out of his JiP range, but in range of a 2~ice or for him to "punch" a clone. It takes time to get the confidence to do this. Heck I have problems with it at times. But I promise if he starts punching clones, he will quit... and then you can apply pressure.
If you show you can control space... he will back himself into the corner... where he gets super duper raped.

And whoever said don't jump... yes... don't ever ever jump. If Cyrax starts shooting bombs all over the place just dash into the right spot, don't jump.

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
I might be crazy or something, but it looks to me like Cyrax has the upper hand in this kind of match-up, but not to the point where it's unplayable.

You can trade Sub-Zero's Freeze Ball with Cyrax's net, but it usually ends in a tie and neither of you get the opportunity to punish. All that comes out of it is meter gain. And what good is the Ice Clone when Cyrax can just play back and chuck bombs and nets? A smart player will not use the cyborg's teleport as it's highly punishable.

If Sub-Zero gets in on Cyrax, however, the table turns in his favor. He has better pressure tools than Cyrax, in my opinion. To make that possible, you will have to play a good spacing game and slowly work your way in. Don't risk the jumping or you're bound to get caught in a net and eat a shit ton of damage. As for the bombs, just move to the appropriate spot on the arena to avoid them; Cyrax can mix his net in with the bombs in an effort to trap you.

Potentially you could anticipate the net and counter with an Enhanced Cold Slide using its armored properties to get some damage in, but the armor lasts only till half-screen and I don't like the risk attached, so don't try this too often.

That's really about all I can say. I'm sure the rest of the guys here have better input than me.

Mt. Mutombo

Asshole by nature
Stay at mid range and JP distance...I've always said that cyrax destroys sub everytime but it's not an impossible matchup.

Only put up a clone to bait a net and do an EX slide and close the distance when he's on the ground. Im saying this cause basically the clone is irrelevant in this matchup, cyrax's bombs defeat the purpose of the clone. Try to stifle cyrax with d4s and string pressure, it's your best bet against cyrax imho.

A good Cyrax will always be a tough fight, but all that means it to play smarter. Just stay patient and punish when you can... You can punish the teleport with 2,2 freeze or d1 into block pressure and trade your ex freeze or slide when he tosses out bombs or a net.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
Never waste meter on exSlide unless you are going to put Cyrax in to the corner. If you think he is going to spit out a net... exFreeze... that way you get a combo instead of just a small percentage.

D-MyzE

Noob
A good Cyrax will always be a tough fight, but all that means it to play smarter. Just stay patient and punish when you can... You can punish the teleport with 2,2 freeze or d1 into block pressure and trade your ex freeze or slide when he tosses out bombs or a net.
Actually if you use 2 2 freeze the freeze usually whiffs so I would recommend using 2 1 2 freeze, and I would also say use d4 more than d1 because it gives advantage when its not blocked and its pretty fast anyways. But I definetly agree you have to play smart; if your having trouble with Cyrax jumping in as you move closer just put down a clone as an AA because you most likely won't be needing it any other time as the Cyrax player will try to zone you out not rush you down.

Also, if you get Cyrax into the corner you'll be at a big advantage because you can counter any options that he has: teleport= punish, net = punish, bombs arent very helpful, and I'm pretty sure Cyrax has no armored moves

Lord Beef

Death Metal and Trance
Actually if you use 2 2 freeze the freeze usually whiffs so I would recommend using 2 1 2 freeze, and I would also say use d4 more than d1 because it gives advantage when its not blocked and its pretty fast anyways. But I definetly agree you have to play smart; if your having trouble with Cyrax jumping in as you move closer just put down a clone as an AA because you most likely won't be needing it any other time as the Cyrax player will try to zone you out not rush you down.

Also, if you get Cyrax into the corner you'll be at a big advantage because you can counter any options that he has: teleport= punish, net = punish, bombs arent very helpful, and I'm pretty sure Cyrax has no armored moves
Ex ragdoll on wake up needs to be respected when you have cyrax in the corner, big time. And as far as punishing teleport with 22, just be patient. If you try on reaction, you'll knock him down, making freeze whiff sometimes. But there's still recovery after his body comes together and you can get a full, standing freeze punish off 22. My $0.02

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Never waste meter on exSlide unless you are going to put Cyrax in to the corner. If you think he is going to spit out a net... exFreeze... that way you get a combo instead of just a small percentage.
I hardly see ex slide as a waste of meter... So what, you trade an ex freeze with a net full screen, you freeze him and have to block the net, then dash in to combo him and he thaws out?

You can catch cyrax as he is landing out of the teleport with 2,2 and it leaves him frozen standing. Tricky timing but useful.

Lord Beef

Death Metal and Trance
I hardly see ex slide as a waste of meter... So what, you trade an ex freeze with a net full screen, you freeze him and have to block the net, then dash in to combo him and he thaws out?
Trading full screen? You should never be full screen against cyrax any way. Let alone throwing out ex freeze from full screen. Proper spacing should almost always allow you to combo off that trade.

Well let's just say you are full screen for the sake of the argument (which is what I was referring to in my first post about trading), wouldnt the ex slide be better?

Lord Beef

Death Metal and Trance
Well let's just say you are full screen for the sake of the argument (which is what I was referring to in my first post about trading), wouldnt the ex slide be better?
Its a crap shoot man. The armor lasts about half screen. So you're either stuck timing it to break the net. Wait too long and he could recover, block the slide and bam, you just lost 56%. Or you try to early and the net catches you anyway. Your best bet at full screen is to move in.
Edit : im not trying to be a dick or anything. Nothing but love for fellow sub faithfuls.

You're not being a dick at all, it's strictly business. As for whiffing the slide, I find if you are full screen (or 3/4) you can dash once then ex slide on reaction to the net and catch him. May not be high damage but it gets you thru the projectile and semi in their face.

Lord Beef

Death Metal and Trance
You're not being a dick at all, it's strictly business. As for whiffing the slide, I find if you are full screen (or 3/4) you can dash once then ex slide on reaction to the net and catch him. May not be high damage but it gets you thru the projectile and semi in their face.
For the kill, absolutely. But out side of that context, with the second hit of the slide, your kind of resetting the situation and possibly putting yourself at a meter disadvantage.
Do you play xbl or psn? We should get some mirrors in.

Status
Not open for further replies.