What's new

Guide - Necromancer Necromancer - Tech, Combos, Strat.

Trauma_and_Pain

Filthy Casual
I don't play the variation but I'm fooling around in the lab and ran into a few problems just trying your combos:

•F4, DF4(MB), NJP/ JK, run xx, D2, F224, BF3/DF4
This doesn't seem possible. Not sure if I'm doing something wrong but I don't have enough advantage to land anything after the D2.

•B3, F22, DF4(MB), dash, NJP, F224, BF3
I'm not understanding the dash here. It works fine without the dash for me, the dash seems to switch sides and screw up the combo making the NJP whiff.

•B3,F22, DF4(MB), run xx, D2
Same here as above, no run needed. I'm already close enough to just D2 immediately after the ex DF4.

•B3,B3, D1, 11, D1, BF3
I can't do this. Not sure if it's an execution thing and I'm off by a frame or something, but I'm not plus enough to do that final D1 in time.

•B3, B3, D1, 112, DF4(MB), NJP, F224, BF3
The F224 doesn't quite land right (on Sub-Zero).

Also, since I don't play the variation, why would I ever start with 112? It makes sense in some combos, but I don't see why I would ever initiate contact with it when it's slower than F4 and hits high. Because you can hit confirm from it or something?

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
I don't play the variation but I'm fooling around in the lab and ran into a few problems just trying your combos:

This doesn't seem possible. Not sure if I'm doing something wrong but I don't have enough advantage to land anything after the D2.

I'm not understanding the dash here. It works fine without the dash for me, the dash seems to switch sides and screw up the combo making the NJP whiff.

Same here as above, no run needed. I'm already close enough to just D2 immediately after the ex DF4.

I can't do this. Not sure if it's an execution thing and I'm off by a frame or something, but I'm not plus enough to do that final D1 in time.

The F224 doesn't quite land right (on Sub-Zero).

Also, since I don't play the variation, why would I ever start with 112? It makes sense in some combos, but I don't see why I would ever initiate contact with it when it's slower than F4 and hits high. Because you can hit confirm from it or something?
Not to sell my own thread but you might want to look at this http://testyourmight.com/threads/necromancer-optimized-combos-and-oki.58774/

DDutchguy

Stand 4'ing airplanes out of the sky
How is Necromancer's keepaway game? I'm sure it's part frustrating the opponent with flicks and keeping them out with hellsparks, but are there any other important things to it? Should I bother using Judgment Fist besides maybe an OTG (even if it's not truly guaranteed)? Is F22 an important part of the keepaway?

Colest

Mid-Tier 'Mancer Main
How is Necromancer's keepaway game? I'm sure it's part frustrating the opponent with flicks and keeping them out with hellsparks, but are there any other important things to it? Should I bother using Judgment Fist besides maybe an OTG (even if it's not truly guaranteed)? Is F22 an important part of the keepaway?
I can get away with a judgment fist when I've scared my opponent into block stepping between flicks if they don't have a teleport, fast projectile, or a quick enough run to run through flick. Throwing a close judgment fist occasionally to check running works for me. I occasionally use the amulet blast when HS will be too slow. Mixing in run-up throws allows me to keep my opponents on their toes for at least a moderate chunk of their health. MB DF4 at mid/full screen nets a free flick. I mostly use F22 as an advancing string when the opponent is trying to footsie me or as a followup to B3 but I could not be using that string to it's full potential.

Anyone got any tips for special canceling f4? I swear I can't get it and if the frame data is right I can special cancel smaller cancel windows just fine on other characters.

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
I can get away with a judgment fist when I've scared my opponent into block stepping between flicks if they don't have a teleport, fast projectile, or a quick enough run to run through flick. Throwing a close judgment fist occasionally to check running works for me. I occasionally use the amulet blast when HS will be too slow. Mixing in run-up throws allows me to keep my opponents on their toes for at least a moderate chunk of their health. MB DF4 at mid/full screen nets a free flick. I mostly use F22 as an advancing string when the opponent is trying to footsie me or as a followup to B3 but I could not be using that string to it's full potential.

Anyone got any tips for special canceling f4? I swear I can't get it and if the frame data is right I can special cancel smaller cancel windows just fine on other characters.
MB DF4 is a full combo from anywhere on the screen.

Trauma_and_Pain

Filthy Casual
I don't have any trouble with it. You just need to be quick. You may want to turn off release check if you're using that, or turn on input shortcuts.

Check button inputs in the lab and see what's going wrong. Could be you're pressing buttons before final directional input.

D. R.

Noob
Midscreen:
f4xxHS3(MB), dash, NJP, rc112xxdf4 = 27%
b3, f22xxEXdf4, rcd2, f22xxdf4 = 36%
112xxEXdf4, rcd2, f22xxdf4 = 36%
NJP, Ji1, f3xxEXdf4, rcd2, f2xxdf4 = 32%

Corner:
f4xxEXbf1, d1, d1, d1, 112xxdf4 = 30%
b3, b3, d1, 112xxEXdf4, late NJP, 22xxdf4 = 37%

Easy and hit confirmable. That's all you need and they all end in df4 which gives ample frame advantage on hit to let you continue pressure if you feel so inclined or just sub in a HS ender for the df4 ender midscreen so you can retreat safely and use your lackluster zoning.

Character's pretty braindead, he just sucks.

#buffshinnok

IamBlackJames has a good necro. Just throwing that out there. Carry on. As a scrub myself the unfamilarity of necro is a big advantage I feel like it is one the most underplayed varations in the game.

Necromancer is THE underplayed variation in this game. Other than EX Hand Crush and it's zoning, it offers nothing else to Shinnok and that's why I love it :D!

Anyone looking for Shinnok matches on XBL, I'm available this weekend. @DesiringCard64 <-- XBL.

TSL_LegendSlayer

Hellsparks Initiate
I know it's not too much as I don't play the variation that often but a good corner combo is,
B3, 312xxEXdf4, NJP, d2, d2 = 41%
there's no oki and the opponent is still close to you so you can't really zone them out afterwards, but It's an easy way to end a round :)

Ive switched mains so many times since his this game came out but this variation is easily my favourite and now my go to whenever i wanna go try hard. Unfortunately i dont have any cool fancy tech to share but just wanna outline how the game plan works for me.

Flick - most of the time too risky to use in the neutral as it can be jumped or ran by. D4-flick is more minus than d4-amulet but the recover feels less awkward if u wanna go for continued pressure. D-4 flick isnt a blockstring tho, but ppl dont armor usually if their expecting hellsparks. Flick is also a good combo ender along with hellsparks to send them full screen. Oki game is crazy good here as a meaty flick will check for unarmored teleport or charge wakeups.

Crush - after your opponent is conditioned to block the meaty flicks, you open them up with this. If you think your opponent will react to it, run cancel into either a block (against teleports) or hellsparks (against runners). This move more often than expected will land in the mid-range neutral where they are not expecting it and too occupied respecting your hellsparks and d4. Im not good enough to try it, but i strongly believe using this mid-close range as cancel bait is the right direction to mastering this variation since his hellsparks and d2 and super strong reactionary moves.

Fiend - this move is really difficult to use. Its easily punishable on both whiff and block. Mainly use ex version for big combo damage. After a meaty flick is blocked, your opponent will attempt to run or throw a projectile, this will stop that but it has to be a hard read. Depending on the timing, this will sometimes whiff on moves like subzero slide, but hellsparks is probably better against that. Also this will knockdown even if the move is interupted by a projectile, so u can trade and have the oki advantage, but the trade wont favor you in damage.

Error

DF2+R2
Ive switched mains so many times since his this game came out but this variation is easily my favourite and now my go to whenever i wanna go try hard. Unfortunately i dont have any cool fancy tech to share but just wanna outline how the game plan works for me.

Flick - most of the time too risky to use in the neutral as it can be jumped or ran by. D4-flick is more minus than d4-amulet but the recover feels less awkward if u wanna go for continued pressure. D-4 flick isnt a blockstring tho, but ppl dont armor usually if their expecting hellsparks. Flick is also a good combo ender along with hellsparks to send them full screen. Oki game is crazy good here as a meaty flick will check for unarmored teleport or charge wakeups.

Crush - after your opponent is conditioned to block the meaty flicks, you open them up with this. If you think your opponent will react to it, run cancel into either a block (against teleports) or hellsparks (against runners). This move more often than expected will land in the mid-range neutral where they are not expecting it and too occupied respecting your hellsparks and d4. Im not good enough to try it, but i strongly believe using this mid-close range as cancel bait is the right direction to mastering this variation since his hellsparks and d2 and super strong reactionary moves.

Fiend - this move is really difficult to use. Its easily punishable on both whiff and block. Mainly use ex version for big combo damage. After a meaty flick is blocked, your opponent will attempt to run or throw a projectile, this will stop that but it has to be a hard read. Depending on the timing, this will sometimes whiff on moves like subzero slide, but hellsparks is probably better against that. Also this will knockdown even if the move is interupted by a projectile, so u can trade and have the oki advantage, but the trade wont favor you in damage.
I tend to use fiend to get the initial trade and knockdown vs opponents who can keep up in the projectile war and would normally beat out flick before it becomes active. I also use it to punish fullscreen teleport attempts on wake-up, as another option in the crush cancel mindgame fullscreen and finally, as a combo ender if I want to keep the opponent close.

Granted I could just be getting away with shit because of match-up unfamiliarity.