What's new

My Thoughts on Street Fighter V so far

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Chun-Li is boss, and nyc is definitely not sleeping on Rashid. That's all they're talking about up here.

Great read.

Wetdoba

All too easy...
Simplicity = Less complexity

In Street Fighter V, there's not as much freedom in the combat as Street Fighter IV. Which means we will be seeing less "wow" moments. Maybe not a bad thing, but definitely not a good one either.
Simplicity in the game means the player meta will have to be more complex. It adds more importance to the human element of fighting games which is what makes them so unique and it most importantly ensures that the better player is going to pretty much always win because there will be nothing that the lesser skilled player will be able to exploit to give him the edge.

EMPEROR PRYCE

WAR SEASON "THE WEAK EXPOSED!"
With simplified game play, the removal of set play, and no death by chip. The comeback factor of this game will rely completely on one thing. A person's clutch factor. Basically, comebacks in this game will be the hypest shit ever lol

Gamer68

Fujin!
Simplicity in the game means the player meta will have to be more complex. It adds more importance to the human element of fighting games which is what makes them so unique and it most importantly ensures that the better player is going to pretty much always win because there will be nothing that the lesser skilled player will be able to exploit to give him the edge.
With simplified game play, the removal of set play, and no death by chip. The comeback factor of this game will rely completely on one thing. A person's clutch factor. Basically, comebacks in this game will be the hypest shit ever lol
Good points. I guess we should just wait and see how the full game plays out...

Samsara

Resident Cynic
I think Dhalsim is one of the coolest designs this game has to offer outside of Rashid. I'm digging the beard an turban and his overall demeanor lends him a larger intimidation/awe factor and a lot more gravitas.

They really made him a lot more "exciting" to watch and play. His mobility is fantastic and his neutral/slightly plus yoga flame/yoga gale allows him to apply some decent pressure on his opponent. I'd say his V-Trigger is probably one of the best in the game at this point. It's range is fairly small but I've seen people completely panic and lose their shit when they're caught in it----- especially in he corner. You can also combo into it which adds damage and the animation is hella sick. I was watching some Sabin/Arturo play and saw how easily Dhalsim can switch from calm and defensive to absolute madman once he lands some key setups. His back throw is pretty godlike and you can follow up with an arcing fireball for easy pressure. His slides are great from ducking under jumps and grabbing an opponent on landing or going for a simple combo or blockstring.

His CA is completely wack though, it only seems to be ideal in combo. The travel time is really slow and the arc is so lofty that opponents really don't have to worry about it much at all. It leads to a lot of damage and if you convert off his anti-air crush counter it's a devastating punish. On some setups you can link a yoga flame and sometimes a V-Trigger as well after CA. I wish they adjust the arc and travel speed a bit or simply give us the old yoga catastrophe back. His combo game is fairly simplistic but I've seen some sweet anti-air crush combos with exfireball xx teleport xx gale into V-Trigger.

Overall he's my favorite so far.

Last edited:
at first i was not that amazed by this game, it just looked like more of the same and the v-trigger just a forced change, but no real improvement. but ive just watched the madcatzcup exhibition and now i think capcom is doing everything right on this one. they reduced zoning but what looks like some casual-hype-friendly bs first is done really well imo. it still looks like a tactical, spacing-heavy game and not a dumb rushdown fest. despite the lack of zoning the fighting styles are still unique and different, even the different melee styles. it looks like a characters style really is something in its own and you couldnt just have picked someone else and got the same. then, last but not least, the character design is amazing. they look as cool as SF characters never did before, especially the old ones like chun li got a great overhaul! i never was a big street fighter guy but im 100% positive that this game will be legendary, the best sf ever and rightfully claim the FG throne.

trustinme

xbl-OBS trustinme
It's a shame the roster is on Mkx's level of the unbelievably appalling.
give me rufus and guy and I'll be happy.