What's new

My thoughts on frost and some tips

JSF

Waiting for Injustice 3
What exactly makes her low tier? Id like to know what other people think about the character.
well first off do you even believe she was low tier before the patch? i am of the belief she was the worst in the game or bottom 2 pre-patch. if you dont agree that she was terrible before the patch then there is no need in trying to convince you now

NYCj360

i Use a modded cyber now
well first off do you even believe she was low tier before the patch? i am of the belief she was the worst in the game or bottom 2 pre-patch. if you dont agree that she was terrible before the patch then there is no need in trying to convince you now
My post is not meant to be combative. Its meant to discuss what people think of her. Some of us may have insight on the characters that others don't. I make content to help people understand what characters are capable of compiling strategy that may not be widely known.

To answer your question she was not bottom tier in my opinion pre patch, and she definitely isnt now.

You sound like you know the character in and out and i would like to know why you think she's as bad as you say she is.

NYCj360

i Use a modded cyber now
Hey J, what do you think are her worst MUs? Not like slight loss, who bodies her?
Sonya can hard to fight, however I feel like frost loses to Sonya the same way other characters do. Her options are just strong every where on screen.

Skarlett can be a pain in the ass to fight if you don't have flawless blocking down. Her teleport variation makes you work harder than usual. Skarlett will body a frost who doesn't possess anal overall mechanical mastery of the engine.

Cetrion because to be honest I havent labbed it at all. However the matchup feels rough from the start.

That's really it imo

BurdaA

Frost-Byte
Sonya can hard to fight, however I feel like frost loses to Sonya the same way other characters do. Her options are just strong every where on screen.

Skarlett can be a pain in the ass to fight if you don't have flawless blocking down. Her teleport variation makes you work harder than usual. Skarlett will body a frost who doesn't possess anal overall mechanical mastery of the engine.

Cetrion because to be honest I havent labbed it at all. However the matchup feels rough from the start.

That's really it imo
Exactly how I feel about ice machine tbh

Edit, Except maybe for the anal

JSF

Waiting for Injustice 3
My post is not meant to be combative. Its meant to discuss what people think of her. Some of us may have insight on the characters that others don't. I make content to help people understand what characters are capable of compiling strategy that may not be widely known.

To answer your question she was not bottom tier in my opinion pre patch, and she definitely isnt now.

You sound like you know the character in and out and i would like to know why you think she's as bad as you say she is.
my mistake if i came off as combative but most people usually arent looking to hear me out when i say things like that. I'd like to think i understand the character within the confines of this game better than anyone or at least as well as the best Frost user's do. So if i sound like im undermining your opinion i apologize but thats kind of how i speak.

Now, as for what makes her low tier or just not very good:

Worst s1 in the game (I tested it). Might not seem like a big deal but then you realize it is harder for her to jail d1 into s1 than most of the cast if not all even with d1 being +15 on hit, which brings me to my next point

She is “execution heavy” now there are technically no execution heavy characters in this game but she is harder to use than most characters and harder to use than all of the top tiers prepatch and now

the patch changed her playstyle and now her style doesn’t coincide with how she was designed. She was designed to be a slow mid to long range zoning and spacing character with some whiff punish ability, the problem was she was bad at whiff punishing and not great at the mid range and only had decent zoning but was horrible at point blank range. They gave her a mid so she can exist up front but it didn’t make her pushdown or good upfront, just possible.

She doesn’t have a 7f poke or a low poke (yes this matters a lot)

Her damage is fine but she isn’t a high damage character

Her krushing blows are garbage besides the throw ones now that she has an 11f mid

Drill (bf4) is just a bad move

Gaps gaps and more gaps

Her only good button is b1. b2 and d4 are death on whiff, f2 is a joke, s1 is a joke, s3 has no range

cant convert anti air's into much damage

B22 has an easy FB gap, b32d1 has 2 gaps, 22 is a gimmick and being +5 for her isn’t as good as it sounds

D3 is an Amazing anti air but horrible poke

To sum it all up basically she has 1 good button in neutral but that means she has to RTSD which isn’t what she’s designed for or great at, her best button forces you to go to where she isn’t the strongest. Her zoning is solid if you know how to zone but that’s the best thing about her, she is absolutely free to jumps, has no mix ups, no oki, no pressure, not high damage, no rushing blows if they don’t throw tech, and even with her zoning being decent its all high besides ex bf3 and if she spends meter on that she can’t combo.
I could say more but this post is already too long and I still probably forgot some things

Wigy

There it is...
@JSF

How is 22 a gimmick.

How does she not get Oki?

Midscreen.

End in 344, can follow up with 22/B12/grab and it's all guaranteed, they cannot disrespect any of it.

Can also end in 223 for a jump in that is completely safe unless they wakeup. Which means more 22 mixups. Or walk in 344 after the 223, whiff punishes a lot of wakeups.

In the corner,

D4 has about 8 active frames and has a late cancel window so is a special cancel stagger, also hits far away and has no hurtbox. So her Oki isn't the usual strike stagger but it's still very good. When she gets people in the corner, she can put people in the blender with very little risk to herself. If you get hit grounded it's like a 250 restand into a guaranteed plus 5 which if disrespected loops into the same thing.

S1 is also a great antiair, and a very very very easy jail after d1. It's got horrible range but then you just need to know when to use it, B12 covers you where s1 doesn't.

F2 is absolute trash but drill is not.

I've been put against some of the pros in KL, dizzy, VideoGamesYo etc and landed drill in the neutral with good shield placement counterzoning.

It's just a slowish shadow kick that hits mid and good players will be low unblocking to avoid grenade chip, so throwing it out isn't all that stupid if you're clever and sparing about it.

She isnt top tier but shes a very useful character for some matchups and can hold her own well enough that she could get a top 8 in the right hands.

Not to be combative either? But just some of these things aren't huge issues or execution errors on your part, she has her own gameplan not many characters play the same and is one of the few characters that's pretty depth heavy in the cast.

Last edited:

Groove Heaven

Jobber-baron

That's really it imo
Yeah I've actually been struggling against Skarlet so I believe that, but I'm also very much in the learning process with Frost. I believe Cetrion too, she's my original main and she's just an incredible character.

Wigy

There it is...
And yeah cetrion matchup is dogshit.

Frost is so fucking slow, got to absolutely crawl your way in. If I could wavedash and perfect block all the boulders might be a bit different.

JSF

Waiting for Injustice 3
@JSF

How is 22 a gimmick.

How does she not get Oki?

Midscreen.

End in 344, can follow up with 22/B12/grab and it's all guaranteed, they cannot disrespect any of it.

Can also end in 223 for a jump in that is completely safe unless they wakeup. Which means more 22 mixups. Or walk in 344 after the 223, whiff punishes a lot of wakeups.

In the corner,

D4 has about 8 active frames and has a late cancel window so is a special cancel stagger, also hits far away and has no hurtbox. So her Oki isn't the usual strike stagger but it's still very good. When she gets people in the corner, she can put people in the blender with very little risk to herself. If you get hit grounded it's like a 250 restand into a guaranteed plus 5 which if disrespected loops into the same thing.

S1 is also a great antiair, and a very very very easy jail after d1. It's got horrible range but then you just need to know when to use it, B12 covers you where s1 doesn't.

F2 is absolute trash but drill is not.

I've been put against some of the pros in KL, dizzy, VideoGamesYo etc and landed drill in the neutral with good shield placement counterzoning.

It's just a slowish shadow kick that hits mid and good players will be low unblocking to avoid grenade chip, so throwing it out isn't all that stupid if you're clever and sparing about it.

She isnt top tier but shes a very useful character for some matchups and can hold her own well enough that she could get a top 8 in the right hands.

Not to be combative either? But just some of these things aren't huge issues or execution errors on your part, she has her own gameplan not many characters play the same and is one of the few characters that's pretty depth heavy in the cast.
stand 2 is a 13f high if you see it just low poke even if you get hit she cant db4 into a combo and odds are she was expecting a block so she doesnt follow up with spin or drill. also being +5 and the fasted mid being 11f means if you are frame perfect b1 comes out in 6f....characters with 6f d1's exist and if you arent frame pefect a 7f jab with a better hitbox will win. i know that if you do it properly it works but even assuming you link b12 and they block then you do what? spin and be -4 and run that mindgame that leads to......a throw? a low poke? being -4 is cool half the tie but against 9f mid stagger pressure characters like liu kang or jax etc youre in their blender now.

im talking about knockdown oki, i know if you freeze you can 322 into something but thats a reset you sacrifice damage to go for, if it works great, if not then you left damage on the table and she isnt one of the highest damage characters, i use this setup myself but only when im confident in it or need it.

d4 is 12f start up and death on whiff, like from the range you want to d4 they can just jump and kill you for it

s1 is garbage there is no reason to even try to anti air with it when you have unless its easier for you to remember and input.

drill is garbage as an ender, its hella unsafe on block, and its KB is garbage too. i understand throwing out a drill in neutral to make them respect the option but its high risk low reward and only works against players respecting you

"Getting a top 8" guarantees nothing in regards to how good a character is.

it has nothing to do with my execution being bad, id like to see you or anyone else land b32d1 b32d1 13 spin ex 10 times in a row, or her optimal b32d1 midscreen, or her kb d2 combo. i didnt say she's hard to play i said her execution is heavier than most, i almost never drop combos in matches but thats because i know what not to go for

i appreciate your input tho, best convo we've had in the Frost forums in ever lol

Wigy

There it is...
@JSF

Just a wee note

22 jails from d1 on hit.
You can't react to it so if you're blocking for B12 it doesn't matter 22 is high?
22 has slight pushback making it very easy to whiff punish a poke with plus 5.
D4 has a mountain of active frames making using it as a meaty very easy, if it doesn't hit they've stayed down and your recovery frames are irrelevant.
The beauty of her Oki is you're in a position to avoid their wakeup you can
D4
D4spin
D4close grenade
B2 bf3
B2 staggers or b2 spin
Raw close nade
Walk back get ready for d3 antiair

These are all low risk low reward but condition people to allow you to go for B12 13 staggers 22 and 3 plus frames and grabs.

This is getting away from your original point but just using this as a point to explain her Oki from my perspective. Condition with a thousand annoying cuts.

JSF

Waiting for Injustice 3
@JSF

Just a wee note

22 jails from d1 on hit.
You can't react to it so if you're blocking for B12 it doesn't matter 22 is high?
22 has slight pushback making it very easy to whiff punish a poke with plus 5.
D4 has a mountain of active frames making using it as a meaty very easy, if it doesn't hit they've stayed down and your recovery frames are irrelevant.
The beauty of her Oki is you're in a position to avoid their wakeup you can
D4
D4spin
D4close grenade
B2 bf3
B2 staggers or b2 spin
Raw close nade
Walk back get ready for d3 antiair

These are all low risk low reward but condition people to allow you to go for B12 13 staggers 22 and 3 plus frames and grabs.

This is getting away from your original point but just using this as a point to explain her Oki from my perspective. Condition with a thousand annoying cuts.
I could possibly be setting it up wrong but from what I’ve practiced you can backdash 22 b12 and punish her for it. Also I’m getting some weird interaction if the first hit misses it seems like she isn’t as plus??? Idk might be me or a bug someone else test it. But yea I stopped believing in 22 a long time ago. The rest of the things are as you said “low reward”

Wigy

There it is...
I could possibly be setting it up wrong but from what I’ve practiced you can backdash 22 b12 and punish her for it. Also I’m getting some weird interaction if the first hit misses it seems like she isn’t as plus??? Idk might be me or a bug someone else test it. But yea I stopped believing in 22 a long time ago. The rest of the things are as you said “low reward”
They're also basically no risk to the low reward though like I said.

Backdashing is a hard read and carries its own risk like any other mindgame, and will be character specific.

I literally snowball games all the time with 22 post 344 Oki.

People love disrespecting frost, instil the fear with her decent staggers spacing and proper B12 check and you'll be able to get your 22 out.

You can space 344 properly it's good. 3 has lots of active frames. People often low block waiting for the 44 even if the 3 whiffs. If it connects you're plus on a stagger that launches and is safe. If not. B12 or 22 checks.

Idk she's got unconventional pressure that requires a lot of thought and conditioning but it's good.

Wigy

There it is...
Honestly frost is one of the few characters with depth. Her normals all have issues so you need to use everything she has to cover each base.

Each of her normals is a bandaid for the shortcoming of the other ones, she's conditioning and spacing heavy but has stuff other characters just don't.

I would really like to see what a top player could do with her.

JSF

Waiting for Injustice 3
Frost is garbage. What works for you doesn’t mean the character is good. I can exploit a lack of knowledge and get wins all the time but that doesn’t mean the character is good. if you’re waitinf on a “top player” to use her then that proves you aren’t dissecting the character critically the way I am. Plus a few top players have expressed interest but done little to nothing with her because she’s trash and other characters are just better versions of her. Even tweedy used her at dreamhack and lost in pools getting eliminated in a matchup Frost wins lol

You can believe whatever you want I’m done trying to convince people when my track record speaks for itself, the character is garbage, low tier, bottom 5-10 however you wanna slice it

JSF

Waiting for Injustice 3
They're also basically no risk to the low reward though like I said.

Backdashing is a hard read and carries its own risk like any other mindgame, and will be character specific.

I literally snowball games all the time with 22 post 344 Oki.

People love disrespecting frost, instil the fear with her decent staggers spacing and proper B12 check and you'll be able to get your 22 out.

You can space 344 properly it's good. 3 has lots of active frames. People often low block waiting for the 44 even if the 3 whiffs. If it connects you're plus on a stagger that launches and is safe. If not. B12 or 22 checks.

Idk she's got unconventional pressure that requires a lot of thought and conditioning but it's good.
Backdashing is not a hard read. You winning proves nothing. And she has no pressure lol if people know the matchup none of that shit happens, just block low. You can do the 344 setup on hit but it’s a reset that sacrifices damage as I aid. Frost is bad. Other characters can do what she does better and that’s a fact not my opinion.

Wigy

There it is...
Backdashing is not a hard read. You winning proves nothing. And she has no pressure lol if people know the matchup none of that shit happens, just block low. You can do the 344 setup on hit but it’s a reset that sacrifices damage as I aid. Frost is bad. Other characters can do what she does better and that’s a fact not my opinion.
She does have pressure.

It's not just mindless guessing staggers like some of the cast though.

She has some really decent counterzoning and space control that is very effective in some matchups. How many characters can stop kabal, lao and dvora jumping effectively. Frost can.

Anyways not trying to say she's amazing, shes not. She isn't ass though. Just putting a case forward for some of the interesting stuff she can do.

I don't really think she is low tier but why are you trying to jail into your high with frost? Just use B1 the string covers a lot of the problems you have with her. it's a mid, d1 is plus enough to guarantee it unless they do something like fatal blow , it has no gaps in the string either and it's safe.

She Wasn't the best prepatch and was weak(the argument of her being low tier or not boiled down to who's the worst of the bad because they were a bunch of bad character) but the buff on b1 did miracle for her. It opened her throw game made her able to take advantage of her plus frames and she couldn't do it before.

TBH you don't need most of her normal in the neutral you pretty much need b1 d1 d3(to anti air) d4(to control space)and b2 when they have no defensive meter. All the other normals are just additions to use once they respect you for most plus frames. I personally don't think you should use 322 outside of combos because it gives you a standing reset that's plus enough for a 50/50 so it's range is not really important. b32 is also irrelevant for the most part now and it has whiffing issues so b12 is better.

Speaking of Anti air did you know that If you AA with s4 you get a recapture combos with b1 db4? sure it's hard but If you know they are gonna jump it's doable. That combos give you one of the highest non KB AA combos. d3 into b12 drill etc does decent damage too. Her AA damage is more than decent IMO.

I hope I gave you something that were able to help you.overall I don't think she is low tier and we can probably run some set somedays to compare our Frost and better our gameplans

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
Lol don't bother with JSF he's been a trash poster for a long time. Always downplaying his mains like that.

NYCj360

i Use a modded cyber now
Damn this made me wanna pick up frost. I played her a little bit on launch but dropped her cause she felt to slow. That b1 buff is huge.

Great video dude!
Thank you! It just recently came out that both her front and back walk speed are the slowest in the game. Being able to dash block is huge with frost. And yes the b1 buff patched up many issues she had with pressure

BurdaA

Frost-Byte
Thank you! It just recently came out that both her front and back walk speed are the slowest in the game. Being able to dash block is huge with frost. And yes the b1 buff patched up many issues she had with pressure
I just changed my block to r1 as on testing I’m about twice as reliable at wavedashing with r1 compared to r2. Now I’ve just gotta retrain decades of MK blocking with r2.

Even just 1/2 reps of wavedash gets you into Frosts effective range, well worth it so far.... Except for the constant failure to block.